bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Apr 2011, 11:20   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Nokia to cut 4,000 jobs by end of 2012

Huge cuts and transfers affect more than 5 per cent of its workforce.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...-end-of-2012/1
Old 28th Apr 2011, 11:25   #2
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Yeah I heard that those 700 UK jobs will be lost in Farnborough.
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2011, 12:02   #3
The Infamous Mr D
We like beans & cheesecake

The Infamous Mr D has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It could well be a good move for them to go over to WP7, as it's an excellent UI for Joe Public to use.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, Asus P5E, Patriot Viper 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2, XFX Radeon HD5870 1GB
2x Maxtor DiamondMax 21 80GB in RAID 0, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 PSU, all in a Coolermaster Cosmos PURE
The Infamous Mr D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2011, 12:27   #4
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Hmmm, their big pluspoint is the free OVI-Maps, that work offline.
Otherwise... meh
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2011, 12:34   #5
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Worrying times for Finland - I don't think they'll be prepared to take too much more before the get rid of Elop and return to the course they were on. I suspect a lot of them are currently feeling like the cancer is better than the (possible) cure.
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2011, 13:09   #6
Javerh
Topiary Golem

Javerh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think people are taking it quite well. 1400 jobs that are mostly moved to Accenture. According to the IT department in my Uni, Nokia-programmers are highly sought after. I'd be more worried about university students trying to enter the workforce with fierce, experienced competition.

As for Elop, everybody knows he's a CEO hired for the sole purpose of driving change inside Nokia. Once the immediate need for change is over, they will show him the door regardless of outcome. Nokia has a history of using local CEOs. A foreign one is needed to handle the nasty stuff no-one wants to do.
Modders make project logs. Project logs make mods. Mods make modders.
Javerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2011, 13:47   #7
Toploaded
Supermodder

Toploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sad way for them to end up. I was loyal to the brand since my first Nokia mobile in 99. I went from being incredibly happy with my N95 to bitterly disappointed with my N97. Their flagship phone which they made a right mess out of and then abandoned it when a few more tweaks to the firmware would have made all the difference. I will never touch a Nokia product again.

I'm not that into Windows 7 mobile anyway, I can see it's appeal but I'd rather the app focused Android OS.
Toploaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2011, 22:10   #8
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
nokia didn't just ditch that symbian os they also ditched moblin, which they were working on with intel. i don't understand why they'd spend so many years working on multiple projects and go for the least popular option and make today's economy even worse than it is now. seriously nokia way to be complete assholes.
Old 29th Apr 2011, 08:21   #9
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
It's only the least popular option for the people being cut. Both symbian and moblin have extremely harsh critics. Moving to WP7 gives their once dominating brand name a chance of clawing back some of that market share lost. Which it will.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2011, 09:18   #10
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Bah...I spent an evening listening to two guys waving their schlongs comparing their new iPhones, the newer one beat the older one with a standby-time (with slight usage as a phone) of nearly two days...
I have a 2005 Nokia (with it's original battery) that lasts a week (used to be near three).

Something is going very wrong here.
(and yes I know it's neither a media-center, nor my inrternet hub and no it doesn't do facebook...it does however text and phone and keeps my calandar without me lugging it's charger around.)
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2011, 12:21   #11
GiantStickMan
Multimodder

GiantStickMan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I feel very sorry for those people losing their jobs, but honestly I don't see Nokia in the same light I used to. The last two Nokias i had have been garbage and i will not buy another of their products.
GiantStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 12:58   #12
Digi
The not-so-funny Cockney

Digi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run Crysis
900 just gone in Denmark! Real shame... bloody style over substance iRubbish generation.

A member of a mystical group of master-gamers. Find them hiding at www.tunedgaming.co.uk
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 15:42   #13
Toploaded
Supermodder

Toploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi
900 just gone in Denmark! Real shame... bloody style over substance iRubbish generation.
Nokia has very little substance right now though either.
Toploaded is offline   Reply With Quote