bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd May 2011, 07:51   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
NZXT H2 Review

Can NZXT's new low-noise midi tower usurp the Fractal R3 as the best low-noise case?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...xt-h2-review/1
Old 3rd May 2011, 08:46   #2
sleepygamer
More Metal Than Thou

sleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysis
Been looking at one of these for a while. Decent looking cases, and seem really well built. It's just a shame the door cuts off so much airflow.

I wonder how well this thing would manage if you stripped out the NZXT fans, and loaded it up with some Typhoons or something.
Lazarus | CPU | Intel C2Q Q9400 @ 2.66Ghz | RAM | 4GB (2x2GB) OCZ Reaper DDR2 666MHz @ 5-6-6-15 | Mobo | ASUS P5B Deluxe | GPU | EVGA GTX460 1GB SC | SSD/Boot | Kingston 64GB SSDNow V | HDD/Storage | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 | PSU | Silverstone Strider 700W | Case | NZXT M59 | Monitor | 20" LG Flatron | Keyboard | Razer Lycosa Mirror | Mouse | Razer Lachesis Wraith Red
I also blog! - It's about hardware and stuff! // Latest review: Sennheiser HD 215 Headphones
I also tweet! - sleepygamester
sleepygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:16   #3
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.
I don't think what is on offer justifies the price. I'd rather buy a Xigmatek Utgard, providing the extra couple of inches in height wasn't an issue.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:11   #4
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Dislike the styling of the R3? How is this even possible!?

Some nice features on the case, especially the built in fan controller with the snazzy front fans (whereas Fractal give you an awful PCI bracket as a fan controller that just sits in the box or bin). Would definitely like to see somebody putting better fans in and see what happens to the temps.
Cei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:24   #5
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have a bit of a phobia about magnets near hard drives... surely that magnetised cover over the 140mm roof panel is a little bit too close to the drive bay?
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:34   #6
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Do the front fans have filters? (i can't see from the picture)
Shame there is so little room between the foam and the fans with the door closed,
Quietness is appreciated, though
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:39   #7
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWeaK View Post
I have a bit of a phobia about magnets near hard drives... surely that magnetised cover over the 140mm roof panel is a little bit too close to the drive bay?
Really? The 140mm roof panel lives on the rear of the roof of the case and the hard disks will be in the opposite corner of the case - the lower front, near the intake fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir View Post
Do the front fans have filters? (i can't see from the picture)
Shame there is so little room between the foam and the fans with the door closed,
Quietness is appreciated, though
Yes, all the intakes on the case have individual dust filters.

bit-tech on Facebook - Custom PC on Facebook - bit-tech on Twitter

Steam ID: votelarry - BFBC2 ID: M4terial - Feel free to add me
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:04   #8
Kacela
Minimodder

Kacela has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I agree with TWeak - I question the inclusion of magnets as a cover mounting method. I would have liked a gaussmeter reading on the magnetic field around those mounting magnets.

Not only for the drives' health that are living inside the case, but also a reading on top of the case - just as a warning to those who use the top of their cases as a shelf for crap - like their wallets with mag-stripe cards in them, or people like me who have used the tops of their cases as a temporary perch for conventional hard drives as they are either removed or added to a case.

Also, at least a warning to those who still have the need to use floppy / LS-120 / Zip / tape / whatever -type of portable magnetic media technology is in order.
Kacela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:27   #9
SpAceman
Supermodder

SpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie
I don't think what is on offer justifies the price. I'd rather buy a Xigmatek Utgard, providing the extra couple of inches in height wasn't an issue.
But what if you want a clean looking case? The Utgard is hardly a case to compare if you are interested in minimalistic styling.
SpAceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:29   #10
Spreadie

Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpAceman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie
But what if you want a clean looking case? The Utgard is hardly a case to compare if you are interested in minimalistic styling.
Fair point. I was thinking more along the lines of value, to be honest.

I'm getting a little bored of these Antec P180 clones (externally). I had a P182se, and it was nice to look at but I think that style has had it's day.

Old 3rd May 2011, 14:34   #11
Instagib
Ultramodder

Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.
The last time i used a nzxt case, it used really cheap brittle plastic in it's construction of the door, meaning it eventually broke after 3 months or so. Is that still the norm? It put me off all nzxt cases sine.

Silverstone TJ07|Rampage 3 Extreme | i7 950 @ 4.0 | 12Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz | EVGA GTX680 | Akasa 1000W Powermax | 480 rad; all under water
Instagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:50   #12
Saltire35
Drunken Scotsman

Saltire35 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't think the H2 comes near the Define R3 in terms of build quality.
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:55   #13
legoyoda
What's a Dremel?

legoyoda has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A secondary hard drive bay right next to a magnet? Surely that's a huge design fail....
legoyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:59   #14
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWeaK View Post
It's NOT going to be a problem. And how dare you place more than one hard drive inside the same case if you're afraid of magnets? Fans have magnets as well and those sit right next to the hard drives in most cases. How about them? And surely you don't have headphones, speakers or cable spools of any kind in the same room as the PC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instagib View Post
The last time i used a nzxt case, it used really cheap brittle plastic in it's construction of the door, meaning it eventually broke after 3 months or so. Is that still the norm? It put me off all nzxt cases sine.
NZXT is a mixed bag, the review sample of Tempest I received was already broken (no physical damage to box, it hadn't been thrown around), while the Rogue and Panzer box have been very sturdy. The H2 really sits in the latter category, it is by no means flimsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltire35 View Post
I don't think the H2 comes near the Define R3 in terms of build quality.
Have you had both cases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoyoda View Post
A secondary hard drive bay right next to a magnet? Surely that's a huge design fail....
No. Just.. No.

If you still think so, just grab a magnet similar to the one used in the case, and test/measure how much force it has at any distance.
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:47   #15
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instagib View Post
Same here. I built a friend a PC and he chose a M59. The plastic used on the front was nasty and brittle and even though it was a steel case, it seemed to be much thinner than any other steel case so it managed to feel flimsy as well.

Didn't give me a great first impression of NZXT cases.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:16   #16
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I have those wireless fan contact plates on my Silverstone case. They make a world of difference when I want to give my case a good dusting. I wish more cases came with that feature.
I5-750 @ 4GHz - MSI P55-GD65 - 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX 680 2GB - 1 Western Digital Black 1TB - 2 Western Digital Green 2TB - 700W Silverstone PSU - H50 Water Cooling Unit - Win7 64-Bit - Logitech G400 - Cooler Master QuickFire Pro MX Brown - Steelseries Icemat V2 - Blue Microphone Snowball - Logitech C920 Webcam
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:35   #17
slothy89
MicroModder

slothy89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow.. Magnets near HDDs? Bank cards? Has no one watched MythBusters?
They found that any normal magnet you are likely to find lying around the home or work place is not strong enough to effect the data on a card strip.
Same with HDDs. If they were that sensitive to magnets, cases would be plastic, and not use fans. Yes it probably isn't advisable to stick a magnet ON a HDDs casing, but that's just silly..

Regarding the scoring.. Why would the case score 2/3 for cooling if it was only better than 1/3 of the competition. Which included a case very close to your fail threshold of 80*C delta? Something around 13-15/30 seems more reasonable.
Case : Zalman Z9+ (filled with Xigmatek XLF fans 120mm&140mm)
Storage : 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS - 1TB WD Caviar Black SATA III
slothy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 00:42   #18
kzinti1
Multimodder

kzinti1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Your scoring still makes no sense. I would be hard pressed to give this turkey a 70 yet you give this poor cooling, ugly case with a flimsy door, an 81?
kzinti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 02:26   #19
SuicideNeil
I'm insane, not stupid.

SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.
Quite.

I imagine it has something to do with the NZXT advert that appears on the review summary page, right next to the giant 81% score mark.

Luckily though we are all smart enough to read between the lines here and ignore the score for the most part as that is just for people who don't bother to read the review & skip straight to the conclusion/ scoring...

FTR, I quite like the styling and the poor temps don't bother me too much- wouldn't take much work to introduce some better airflow, but the price is a bit steep for my liking really, needs to drop a good ~20 or so.
Old 4th May 2011, 08:17   #20
Spreadie

If you're convinced that bit-tech are not impartial and review scores are influenced by advertisers, why are you even looking at the site?

I think it has been said before - the ad space sellers have no input into the site or magazine content.

Don't you think it'd be a little too risky to push a piece of trash as a good product? One sniff of impropriety and people would leave in droves.