bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd May 2011, 16:07   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Assange accuses Facebook of being a US spying tool

Wikileaks editor says Facebook is 'the most appalling spying machine that has ever been invented.'

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...ng-a-us-spyi/1
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:09   #2
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
oh god i hate this guy.

I honestly couldn't care if the US goverment collected info on what pr0n i watch.
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:14   #3
Mitcian
Multimodder

Mitcian has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm rather torn here between giving a crap what Assange has to say in his latest jibe at 'The Man', and being slightly concerned as I don't see it a huge stretch of the imagination that his accusations may have some truth to them.
Mitcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:15   #4
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Guessing he "liked" prostitutes then.
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:15   #5
Mechh69
I think we can make that fit

Mechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
WOW I think he's needs a tin foil hat. I guess he thinks all companies that have a HQ in the U.S. or do business in the U.S. just give all their information to the U.S. government? Like the government cares that "Little Genny fell down and bumped her knee" or that someone's cat had 3 kittens vice 4. I seriously doubt any government has time or the equipment to mine that amount of data for the little they would glean from facebook.

i7 920@3.8Ghz,EVGA E760 Classified, Corsair XMS3 X 6GB 1600, Kingston Hyper X 12GB 1600, 240GB OCZ Agility 4, MSI 660TI 3GB, BFG 260 GTX Core 216 for PHYSX, Thermaltake Armor+, BFG EX1200 PS, Scythe Mugen 2 Cpu cooler, Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ, Nvidia 3D Glasses
Mechh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:17   #6
Furymouse
Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Furymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wait a second, Facebook has personal information on it that other people can see? I'm being Facebook stalked by the gub'mint?
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:27   #7
banks1990
What's a Dremel?

banks1990 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ah yes, facebook, google and yahoo are operated by Shadow Broker.
and US government is currently the highest bidder.
banks1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:40   #8
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by banks1990
We have dismissed these claims.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:40   #9
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm telling people for years allready, that all these so called social playtforms are huge databases collecting informations taht can be accessed by national intelligence services.

Oh, and I don't use any of these services ofc. I'm only using anonymous ways to communicate with other people, like private IRC or teamspeak-servers. Any service where there's friendlists being stored on central servers is a no-go. Hiding IP's by using tools like TOR etc is also being done here.

The only thing that's being tracked and I can't do without unfortunately is my mobile-phone (simple $50 phone, no smart-crap).

Yes. I'm paranoid

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:41   #10
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
In this world the most unthinkable is the most probable.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:56   #11
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Does it really matter. Unless you have something to hide what's the government going to do?
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:56   #12
Toploaded
Supermodder

Toploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77

Yes. I'm paranoid
The ironic thing is, the more you try and duck out the system like that, the more you will stand out and get noticed. by da man
Toploaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:03   #13
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Even if it is true it doesn't really matter does it. They are only going to want info on terror suspects or murders/pedos ect.. So in other words it wouldn't affect 99.9 % of us. The likelihood is that it is just a lie though.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:04   #14
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by banks1990
+! )
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:31   #15
mucgoo
I *am* a Dremel

mucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for president
would anyone here really complain if the US government used facebook/other online data in tracking down a murder/rapist etc.
mucgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:36   #16
fodder
Multimodder

fodder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Erm, has he ever seen the posts and conversations on facebook?

Unless they have a scheme for covert sterilisation to preserve some form of intelligence in the human race, I would doubt the effort would be worth the reward.
fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:39   #17
FelixTech
Robot

FelixTech has yet to learn the way of the DremelFelixTech has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenJ
Does it really matter. Unless you have something to hide what's the government going to do?
The same argument can be applied to the government installing cameras in your house, or GPS trackers in your body.

Legal processes like subpoenas and warrants exist for a reason - to protect individuals' privacy in all but exceptional cases. You should be able to assume your privacy is being upheld unless you are notified otherwise.

Information is a powerful thing, and while it won't necessarily be misused there is no need to make it a possibility. Storing unhashed passwords is perfectly harmless - right up until someone hacks your database.
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:44   #18
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucgoo View Post
would anyone here really complain if the US government used facebook/other online data in tracking down a murder/rapist etc.
Using these sites in certain cases isn't the problem. The problem is, that all the data is allways freely available for them... everyones data, no matter if you're a suspect or not.

For me the question is this: "Is it acceptable that everyones data is being constantly observed, just to catch a few bad people?"

My answer to this question is: "NO!, it's not acceptable."

Furthermore it's not acceptable that all the data (IP-adresses, chatlogs, priv messages, etc) is being stored for more then a very few month (6 month being the absolute maximum that's acceptable!).

If there's a suspect, then the governement sure has all the rights to track all the communications, but aslong as I'm not a suspect, there shouldn't be tracked anything, don't even talk about stored/recorded permanently.

The freedom and anonymity of the unguilty masses simply weighs in so much more then the posibility to catch a few bad guilty ones imho.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:16   #19
MiNiMaL_FuSS
ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

MiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming Saiyan
it's not a matter of 'what have you got to hide?'

it's a matter of 'what reason have you got to look?'

If we went with the, it dosnt matter as long as you have nothing to hide option, then you wouldn't object if a goverment offcial turned up on your doorstep and just felt like a rummage through your house?
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:22   #20
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Unless he's got some real proof I'm going to go ahead and say that his fame and power has gone to his head. He says they're giving information away, they say they're not and neither one has a solid way of proving they're right. It comes down to whose word people will believe. I believe that Mr. Assange knows this and is using it to have people buy into his words without proof. Being suspicious goes both ways.

A fair deal of the trivial information found on a Facebook user's information section has already been gathered by the government through driver's licenses, voter registration, taxes, etc. I've already willingly given up far more information than will be found on Facebook or any online account when applying for a background check as well. The only useful information which Facebook may provide would be incriminating pictures or status updates which would only be of any relevance if the person in question was actually suspected of anything in which case a subpoena isn't exactly hard to get so why setup such an illegitimate channel?