bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th May 2011, 10:08   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Rage PC will include level editor

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...level-editor/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 10:25   #2
Lance
Ender of discussions.

Lance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I love the fact that the character in the pictures seems to have a union jack on his chest.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 10:28   #3
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
RAGE!

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 14:05   #4
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Can't soddin' wait!
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 17:07   #5
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
I'm not that excited about Rage itself, but it's really heartening to see that iD haven't lost their way and are still functioning the way they did back in the Doom/Quake days. This means that nostalgia and the loyalty it inspires will probably make me excited for Rage as we get closer to its release.

This also means we're less likely to see moronic, overpriced level packs DLC like we get from other devs..
Old 6th May 2011, 17:09   #6
Malfrex
Minimodder

Malfrex has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If previous work of the mod community is anything to go by, I think id are misjudging them. It might take them a little longer than something like Source or Unreal, but if they're able to build the game using the tools the community will figure them out and probably end up writing the documentation on how to use it, should other studios decide to use it.
Malfrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 17:55   #7
somidiot
Modder

somidiot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wonder if the modders are going to take that as a challenge. I know I would.
somidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 18:33   #8
AcidJiles
Supermodder

AcidJiles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
And thats a bad thing?
AcidJiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 18:39   #9
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Great news, any game that comes with a level editor/creator is a +1 instantly.
I5-750 @ 4GHz - MSI P55-GD65 - 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX 680 2GB - 1 Western Digital Black 1TB - 2 Western Digital Green 2TB - 700W Silverstone PSU - H50 Water Cooling Unit - Win7 64-Bit - Logitech G400 - Cooler Master QuickFire Pro MX Brown - Steelseries Icemat V2 - Blue Microphone Snowball - Logitech C920 Webcam
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 20:32   #10
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Over-hyped, over-developed, under-inspired lemon.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 20:57   #11
ajfsound
Multimodder

ajfsound is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitajfsound is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitajfsound is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitajfsound is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitajfsound is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitajfsound is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitajfsound is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitajfsound is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitajfsound is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitajfsound is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitajfsound is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
'id studio'? As long as 'idkfa' works I'm happy ;-)
ajfsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 23:22   #12
Toploaded
Supermodder

Toploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As a level designer that uses many engines, your right, I do take it as a challenge and will probably dive into it just because (IF Rage is any good, that is!)
Toploaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 00:12   #13
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
I take serious issue with this!

But then I still maintain that Doom 3 was an excellent game, so my opinion is probably void.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 00:34   #14
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul View Post
But then I still maintain that Doom 3 was an excellent game, so my opinion is probably void.
You're not the only one, I loved Doom 3. It was a seriously slick game and dripping with iD's pedigree, but I think the weak story and their level-design nods to the older Doom games just made for an experience that couldn't live up to its major rival (HL2) at the time so it was inevitably bound to be overshadowed.
Old 7th May 2011, 14:53   #15
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
So? with proper editing possibilities included we already have the first step to countless hours of multiplayer fun, now they just have to allow proper controls, dedicated servers and the rest of the stuff PC Gamers expect and the game will be a success.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 14:58   #16
Zurechial
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
now they just have to allow proper controls, dedicated servers and the rest of the stuff PC Gamers expect and the game will be a success.
A number of the promotional videos so far have shown keyboard&mouse play and I'd be shocked if iD didn't supply a dedicated server system for gamers.
Old 7th May 2011, 18:58   #17
Marvin-HHGTTG
Marvin. I don't care what ^ says...

Marvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
My immediate thought was 'Borderlands', but when I saw the detonating RC car...

Does every game have to copy every COD gimmick there is? Rise above it and make better stuff, not copy irritating features. If it's only in single player (or is only single player) then fine, but if I start seeing hundreds of RC cars blowing up in multiplayer, then I'm out. I had enough of annoying no-skill killstreaks.
Marvin-HHGTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 20:50   #18
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin-HHGTTG View Post
My immediate thought was 'Borderlands', but when I saw the detonating RC car...

Does every game have to copy every COD gimmick there is? Rise above it and make better stuff, not copy irritating features. If it's only in single player (or is only single player) then fine, but if I start seeing hundreds of RC cars blowing up in multiplayer, then I'm out. I had enough of annoying no-skill killstreaks.
I think Rage has been in production since before the time of Black Ops.
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 00:19   #19
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Doom 3 was probably the scariest game ever. Especially when played with Fresnel lens and body vibration. The game was also quite boring after a while and I never completed it. The original Doom held my interest much longer.

When a game company takes so long to make a game then I lose interest. On the rare times ID release a new piece of information about the game I think to myself "too little, too late".

I seem to remember STALKER taking forever as well. When it finally did arrive it was interesting to some extent but not interesting enough for me to play very far.

Rage will be a flop I suspect. Who cares about level editing on the Rage engine? Unreal 3 latest SDK is far more advanced and readily available without waiting another 5 or 10 years.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 01:55   #20
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers View Post
Doom 3 was probably the scariest game ever. Especially when played with Fresnel lens and body vibration. The game was also quite boring after a while and I never completed it. The original Doom held my interest much longer.

When a game company takes so long to make a game then I lose interest. On the rare times ID release a new piece of information about the game I think to myself "too little, too late".

I seem to remember STALKER taking forever as well. When it finally did arrive it was interesting to some extent but not interesting enough for me to play very far.

Rage will be a flop I suspect. Who cares about level editing on the Rage engine? Unreal 3 latest SDK is far more advanced and readily available without waiting another 5 or 10 years.
And you know that how exactly ?
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote