1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other SATA 3 cable any different to SATA 2?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 8 May 2011.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

As per the title, any difference at all between the two cable labels or are we in 'monster' cable territory here?

2. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Short answer: no.

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Why do they do it then? :eyebrow:

4. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

it's a gimmick

5. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Wanted to be sure on this also.

I read something about sata3 cables being NCq compliant, but i guess sata2 cables are aswell, just not tested for the compliance?

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Don't worry. It's gold plated S/P-DIF all over again. The best part is when they make gold plated optical cables... :duh:

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

It's to get dumb people to buy expensive sata 3 cables when they need sata 2/1 cables

8. PabloFunky

You serious?
    They make goldplated spdif cables, now that is dumb ass.

9. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

of course you need gold when dealing with optical. it makes sound travel faster than light. duh...
    /joke
    no there is no difference in sata cables. there are some minor differences in connectors, but that is more or less if you prefer latching or not.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It's the same idiotic claims than HDMI super shielded.. or any shielding for that mater cables. A cheap 7-8$ HDMI cable will give you the exact same image quality as a 500$ HDMI cable... and people JUMP on those super expensive cables.. as the sale rep simply says "You are buying an expensive TV, to enjoy it, you need this fancy cable, else you'll get crappy image".
    When I worked at retail.. we used ultra cheap HDMI cables for the TV, and selling the super high end Monster cable to consumers (actually not me, I was in the computer department (first summer job). The profit on those cable where sky high, easy 200$ in the pocket for the 500$ cables... about 100$ for the 200-300$ HDMI cable

11. PabloFunky

Yep for sure cables in a retail shop are crazy,

Having worked in electronics field for over 20 years, ive seen cables that i would buy for around £2, sell for over £30 in a high street shop,

Yes i get them at trade but even still.

Have even told them in the shops before now about it, i just get a dumb look from them, and a well we have to make a profit, seems that the manufacturers dont have to then?.

speaking of latching, wish ssds would allow a latching cable to fit,

Sata cables are one of the worst cables ive seen, crappiest ever, about time a better quality connector was fitted for sata standard,

I feel a Lemo connector mod coming on now for my existing sata connections.

12. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

agree on a latching cable's i hate them thay broke 2 of my drive's in the past i just use the plain one's now...

13. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

Strange how Asus advertise 2xsata2 cables and 2xsata3 cables on the box of my sabertooth motherboard yet after looking, they are exactly the same cables.

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That threw me when setting up my Asus! I'll be buying some nice shorter sata 2 leads now, thanks guys! :thumb:

15. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

HDMI - shielding and all that stuff makes sense - starting at 10m+ lengths. Bellow that, your $5 cable will do exactl the same as your $500 cable.

There is also need for shielded USB cables, when you are bitstreaming and you cannot have even one bad bit - but again, it makes sense only at greater lengths, not on 1-2m.

Just added this to have a complete view on that topic - shielding makes sense, at higher than standard distances. But pretty much no one used that long cables at home, so $5 or $500 cable doesn't make difference.