bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th May 2011, 08:00   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Revisiting Morrowind

We look back at the best RPG Bethesda ever made and wonder if Skyrim will hit similar heights.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...ng-morrowind/1
Old 10th May 2011, 08:23   #2
the-beast
Modder

the-beast has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Morrowind is indeed a great game, I finally finished it this year after 8 years of on and off play. That is how massive the game really was! Great fun.
the-beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 08:24   #3
g3n3tiX
resident frenchy

g3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Agreed. I recently finished Oblivion and it was bland. Not exciting, and very repetitive. (every cave is the same, no exciting loot at the end). It misses the spark that made Morrowing awesome.

Who doesn't remember the Icarus parchment from that dead person in the forest, that makes you jump half across the map but wears out while you are still in the air ?

In Morrowind you often were rewarded at the end of the exploration. Some loot, a cool altar or arrangment of objects, there was motivation to explore.
I may replay Morrowind some day, the modding community is always awesome. (as with every Bethesda game).
Darnified UI, texture packs, the list is very long.
Old 10th May 2011, 08:26   #4
aleph31
What's a Dremel?

aleph31 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oblivion was a *huge* step backwards. It was a rather good game, but Morrowind was a superb masterpiece in the RPG genre.

I don't think Skyrim will try to emulate the Morrowind formula. To achieve such a degree of immersion you have to add several ingredients that prevents the game from being considered a triple A blockbuster, and increases the production costs a lot.

Bethesda is now a big company, wants a big ROI, and they will target the casual market as much as possible, which is ok, but will hurt the quality of the product in RPG terms.
aleph31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 08:29   #5
tristanperry
Hypermodder

tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Definitely a game worth revisiting I agree with the other posters that Oblivion was a big step backwards as for as RPGs go. Oblivion was more polished, but Morrowind was the better RPG.
Antec 300 | Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 | Core i5 750 @ 3.6ghz | Corsair XMS3 4GB 1,600Mhz | XFX HD5850 | 120 GB Corsair Series Force 3 SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 | Titan Fenrir | BenQ G2220HD 21.5" Widescreen | Corsair VX550W
tristanperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 08:31   #6
Blackshark
Multimodder

Blackshark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The game I installed, loaded and for some reason never played... Such a shame modern games are all 'pimp my graphics' and little soul.

Prehaps the problem is that at Universities, kids are beign taught programming, whiz bang graphics, even some half decent AI, but true story telling? I suspect that is something that is being lost. As with other great games, its the small details, that you stumble upon, that can make a good game great.
Blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 08:41   #7
eVoPhantom
Multimodder

eVoPhantom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As someone who never played Morrowind but did play Oblivion, (which was the first RPG style game I had ever played) I am always a bit suprised how much Oblivion gets slated. The caves were repetetive but I still really enjoyed the game, just didnt bother going into caves etc that much!
eVoPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 08:45   #8
Scroome
I don't do red...

Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.
One of the things that surprised me back in the day was actually how beautiful Morrowind was. Sure it looks basic by today's comparisons, but back then it was a lush game with ever expanding stories. The game set it self apart for me by the skills and magics you could learn. For example, I remember using levitate spell for the first time to escape some enemies was awesome. Flying up to a rock and laughing as they were walking around it, only to realise in horror that I simply couldn't get away fast enough and end up being hacked to bits... those were the days.
Scroome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 09:05   #9
Bishop52
What's a Dremel?

Bishop52 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How about giving some details on the graphics mods you use. I usually spend about two days trying to find and installing mods and after being somewhat disappointed by the results end up loosing interest in playing.
Bishop52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 09:20   #10
Ding
What's a Dremel?

Ding has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I loved Morrowind so much that I even put up with playing it on a machine that really didn't want to be playing it. This game was an absolute resource hog at the time. I strongly remember my time in the Bloodmoon area as looking like a slideshow.
Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 09:42   #11
Paulg1971
Multimodder

Paulg1971 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think I may have to have a go at Morrowind again,it has has been left at the back at the cupboard after oblivion,dragon age and mass effect 1 and 2 arrived on my PC.
Paulg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 09:52   #12
CDomville
^ I am THIS Possum

CDomville has yet to learn the way of the DremelCDomville has yet to learn the way of the DremelCDomville has yet to learn the way of the DremelCDomville has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Unfortunate that the modability of the Steam version isn't really possible without some major tinkering. Just ordered the Boxed copy to get access to the toolkit so all of the mods can be installed properly and easily. Planning on using Morrowind2009 (http://morrowind2009.blogspot.com) as a baseline, plus a couple of extras.

It's a lovely game, and I've never finished it (got two houses to agree, then had too much time on exam and lost track of the story). If people are wondering why I'm rebuying, don't want to go back to my old Xbox because scaling is awkward on the 360, even in good quality cases, like Quantum Redshift).
Current Machine Specifications: Mobo: GIGABYTE P67A-UD4-B3 | Processor: Core i5 2500K (soon to be OC'ed, researching atm) | 8GB Corsair Vengance 1600MHz DDR3 | GFX: MSI GTX560 Ti Twin Frozr II (also soon to be OC'ed) | Akasa Venom Cooler | Antec 100 case
CDomville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 10:22   #13
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ah, Morrowind... I've got the steam version, the retail version and the x-box version, and for some reason have never got round to playing any of them.

I've also got Oblivion on the 360 and PC (Steam). I've completed the 360 version of Oblivion (along with the Shivering Isles expansion pack), I still keep meaning to go back to Morrowind but never seem to get there.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 10:39   #14
Jedibeeftrix
Minimodder

Jedibeeftrix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
When Oblivion was released it was prettier and fully voiced and had better combat - but it was at the great cost of being as interesting. It had some good quests, it was a great game, but its world wasn’t nearly as detailed a world as Morrowind. I can only hope Skyrim is a step backwards, rather than forwards.
how very true, and thoroughly agreed.
Jedibeeftrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 10:40   #15
PedoBear
What's a Dremel?

PedoBear has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Memories,Memories.
Gone aare the days of good rpg story telling and point & Clicks.
I have been a very avid rpg fan for years from the spectrum up to pc.
I do love gfx on games but I like stories good stories also.And in recent times I dare say the console market has had a very big effect on this they have been watered down.
Games that make you think. I know some games have been on consoles but that was the old type ones before we had Activision sheeping & Ea sheeping people in with paid dlc and no mod tools to boot.
Hopefully it will come full circle and we will get a community type Companies back.
There have been some great games recently with mass effect Dao and the like but nothing touches good old games like...
Morrowind
Kings Bounty (Original one)
Simon the Sorcerer
Beneath a Steel sky
Monkey island.
Fallout Series (Orig)

Add Games Here.........
PedoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 10:45   #16
lp1988
Ultramodder

lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Glad I'm not the only one that sometimes get a sudden urge to play Morrowind, Currently in the middle of one. Just have a few exam reports that take too much of my time currently

NE AUDERIS DELERE ORBEM RIGIDUM MEUM.
lp1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 10:45   #17
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
<installs morrowind>
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 10:55   #18
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
News must really be slow to be re-visiting old games like this, as great as it may have been in it's time. It was a shame that it could be completed in something like 10mins simply by knowing where to go and which potions to brew and still only be level 1.

This was sadly one of those games I personally never got in to and found it too 'clunky' right from the start, Oblivion was ok and at least held my interest long enough to get me in to the game, something Morrowind never did. Might and Magic: Dark Messiah was certainly fun to play and is something most certainly inspired by games like Morrowind but which provided a better interface and smoother interaction.
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 11:05   #19
Instagib
Ultramodder

Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad2008
News must really be slow to be re-visiting old games like this, as great as it may have been in it's time. It was a shame that it could be completed in something like 10mins simply by knowing where to go and which potions to brew and still only be level 1.
True, you can play the game that way, but that's totally missing the point. Morrowind was much more about the journey than just the destination.

Silverstone TJ07|Rampage 3 Extreme | i7 950 @ 4.0 | 12Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz | EVGA GTX680 | Akasa 1000W Powermax | 480 rad; all under water
Instagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 11:17   #20
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
I couldn't agree more with the concluding paragraph of this article, it really sums things up perfectly.
If I could get Oblivion's combat and physics in Morrowind I would be absolutely delighted - I don't care about any of the other improvements, Morrowind was a better game in every other way to me.

Now I feel like reinstalling it.. dammit Craig.