bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th May 2011, 10:46   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Capcom: "PSN downtime costing us hundreds of thousands"

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-hundreds-of/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 10:51   #2
Tris
Multimodder

Tris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wait, what?
I thought the main issue here was not ongoing attacks, but the fact that Sony found gaping security holes in their service which they are now having to fix?
If so, the blame should lie just as heavily on Sony for their poor system design/testing.
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 10:51   #3
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
'As an executive responsible for running a business, the resulting outage is obviously costing us hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars in revenue that were planned for within our budget,'
An explanation would be nice. How the hell could it be costing Capcom possibly more than it is costing Sony? I don't know how much Sony are losing through the PSN being down (ignoring costs of getting it back up again, talking purely lost revenue etc), but I would be surprised if it was in the millions.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 11:09   #4
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sony are probably saving loads on bandwith costs
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 11:20   #5
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddywinks View Post
An explanation would be nice. How the hell could it be costing Capcom possibly more than it is costing Sony? I don't know how much Sony are losing through the PSN being down (ignoring costs of getting it back up again, talking purely lost revenue etc), but I would be surprised if it was in the millions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ars Technica
Mizuho Investors Securities analyst Nobuo Kurahashi estimated that Sony could be on the hook for $1.25 billion in lost business.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...til-may-31.ars

Scary figures.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:26   #6
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddywinks
Quote:
'As an executive responsible for running a business, the resulting outage is obviously costing us hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars in revenue that were planned for within our budget,'
Who said it was costing Capcom more than Sony? Nobody.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 11:34   #7
alf-
Multimodder

alf- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i'd imagine the lost income is from lost sales, i can't really see PS3 games being high at the moment with all the publicity going around.

also i would imagine capcom is missing out on a lot of sold DLC.
alf- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 11:46   #8
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurechial View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
"As I have explained previously, creating a similar offering for the many countries within the SCEE region is a very complicated process," Nick Caplin, the head of communications for SCEE, wrote on the SCEE blog. "Each country has a different way of handling identity theft; some offer relatively sophisticated services whilst others are much more modest." More details on how Sony will navigate the complexity of this issue should be available early this week.
Scary figures.
Sounds like, 'you fine us, you get nothing'.
Old 10th May 2011, 12:51   #9
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
In other words.
"Hi, we're Capcom, remember us? we're just after a free name check here while we kiss Sony's big ass and say how evil those pesky hackers are".
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 13:00   #10
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Hi, we're Capcom, we've put always online DRM into our games and no-one can play them while PSN is down. When PSN does come back no-ones going to touch our **** with a barge-pole"
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 13:17   #11
Artanix
puts the king in Lurking.

Artanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
oh look, another "blame the hackers" statement. Its getting quite amusing how much effort is being made to shift the blame off Sony
Old 10th May 2011, 13:22   #12
alf-
Multimodder

alf- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanix
oh look, another "blame the hackers" statement. Its getting quite amusing how much effort is being made to shift the blame off Sony
who else is to blame?

sure Sony has a lot of fault towards this in regards to lack of security and their messed up handling of the affair, but you can't really blame them for it happening.
alf- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 13:34   #13
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurechial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddywinks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ars Technica
Mizuho Investors Securities analyst Nobuo Kurahashi estimated that Sony could be on the hook for $1.25 billion in lost business.

Scary figures.
****! Fair enough, I didn't realise that it could cause that much damage. I'm still selling PS3 games like usual at work, and one guy even bought £40 qorth of PSN credit, ready for when it comes back on. I hadn't realised the outtage could have done so much damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddywinks
Quote:
Who said it was costing Capcom more than Sony? Nobody.
I used the word possibly because I didn't imagine Sony could possibly be hit so hard by the outtage, and I even explicitly said I have no idea what the figures were. Thankfully, at least Zurechial was kind enough to post some details for me.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 13:52   #14
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanix
This:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/So...timony-103450/

EDIT: Quoted the wrong person, I meant to quote alf-

Last edited by Tokukachi; 10th May 2011 at 14:53.
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 14:29   #15
dicobalt
Multimodder

dicobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This guy really thinks the hackers care about consumers who only contribute to Sony being a d-bag?
dicobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 15:46   #16
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat69
"Hi, we're Capcom, we've put always online DRM into our games and no-one can play them while PSN is down. When PSN does come back no-ones going to touch our **** with a barge-pole"
This. I find it a little amusing that Capcom are complaining because they're losing revenue after (and due to) implementing a system that many people find intolerable. At least, it's amusing until I remember that they're not the only ones using that kind of system :/
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 16:51   #17
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
well security is somewhat a joke.. I can imagine sony maybe had a breach internally in the worst case scenario, or it could be they are just incompetent running old software with known security issues as reported (the lamest scenario)

I was at stanford yesterday and ran a scan of the wireless network on campus.. the public network used by students was wep but what was really shocking was the private wireless network the doctors in the medical wings use was also running wep (even if it was running radius.. having wireless access with peoples medical records possibly being exposed is ballsy imo.. but it was wep!)

granted it was as secure as wep could be.. but that doesn't matter when the protocol itself is a total joke.. this was actually the first time I brought my equipment to stanford

I was curious since all these breaches are happening, even took a look at folding at home

but see, I'm just one guy with a white hat with no malicious intent (I didn't even go into the networks, as that would be illegal).. I'm sure there are plenty on that campus who do the same.. but the difference is just because you can do it, doesn't mean you open a can of whoopass and go poking around

the guys who took down sony, could be totally unrelated to what's being reported.. if sony was given advanced warning of security issues and did nothing about it, just screams stupid

maybe it's as simple as a group of criminals looking to steal identities.. security is only as good as the guys you have maintaining the network.. company that big there is no excuse (other than being cheap- and then you have to ask.. why)

and sony took over a week to tell anyone anything.. you want to hire console gamers to take care of your network.. save a few bucks then you get what you get.. all they'd need is one guy to oversee security.. there really is no excuse with a company that big

maybe it's related to the earthquake!
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 19:25   #18
mucgoo
I *am* a Dremel

mucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for president
i'd imagined single player focused back library games have been selling well as people get round to playing them
mucgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 19:26   #19
Stewb
Hypermodder

Stewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurechial View Post
I am no longer an atheist.
Stewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 19:33   #20
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
lol
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote