bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th May 2011, 12:20   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Gaming 26 - The Showman's Bag

This week Paul and Joe were joined by plughead.net founder and former PC Zone writer David Brown. First up on the agenda was the continuing PSN outage, and how the continuing lack of service is starting to affect games developers...

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/podcast...showman-s-bag/
Old 13th May 2011, 12:53   #2
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
I'll never buy DLC
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 13:26   #3
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
I'll never read the middle. Take that hard working reviewers!
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 16:13   #4
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The only DLC i've bought is BF:BC2 Vietnam, which is more of an expansion pack anyway
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 17:30   #5
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFFYDUDE
I'll never read the middle. Take that hard working reviewers!
Damn you!

bit-tech on Facebook - Custom PC on Facebook - bit-tech on Twitter

Steam ID: votelarry - BFBC2 ID: M4terial - Feel free to add me
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 23:15   #6
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
so the witcher 2 is what's going to blow the socks off.. the thing that really stuck in my mind in the original was walking through town as I was pumping my stats and equipment, a dwarf walked by and said f it!

weird that sticks in my mind but the rest is hard to remember.. oh the end movie too

wonder what nexxo would say about that

and star wars got rudy roped when lucas made jar jar binks.. nothing they do can do will ever recover from jar jar
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 08:48   #7
urobulos
Supermodder

urobulos has yet to learn the way of the Dremelurobulos has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I bought Witcher 1 when it was on sale on Steam, but just couldn't get past the dated feel and wooden movements. I probably should have given it more than 5 minutes of gameplay time, but the combat felt terrible. And yes I know saying that after playing through 0.01% of the game is hypocritical, but there was just something about that game that instantly threw me off.
urobulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 12:30   #8
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@urobulos, I got a lot further in to it, and still had to give it up. The Witcher 2 looks frickin' amazing though! WANT!

Thanks for answering my question so in depth, it was very interesting to hear your thoughts! Some very interesting opinions and some good points were made.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 12:58   #9
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by urobulos
I bought Witcher 1 when it was on sale on Steam, but just couldn't get past the dated feel and wooden movements. I probably should have given it more than 5 minutes of gameplay time, but the combat felt terrible. And yes I know saying that after playing through 0.01% of the game is hypocritical, but there was just something about that game that instantly threw me off.
I did that, but recently picked it up for the third time and managed to play for more than 2 hours. And I'm blown away, once you get used to the mechanics of the game you'll realise how perfect or fitting it is.

Seems like a massive game too, Just got the chapter 3 out of 9 i think? And I'm on 23 hours so far.
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 16:18   #10
Toploaded
Supermodder

Toploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I fully agree about wanting to keep all your games in one place such as Steam, but I'm gonna make an exception on this one and get the Witcher 2 off of gog.com. My full price purchase of this game is more about supporting what the company stands for then want of the game. A donation to the cause, if you like

Yeah I know Steam is a form of DRM, but I accept that for the benefits I get from it. However, I hope for a day when Steam is the only DRM and that there is always an option to have 100% stand alone for those that don't see Steam's benefits as worth it for DRM.

If I end up really enjoying the game, then all the better.
Toploaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 16:33   #11
Canon
Reformed

Canon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by urobulos View Post

Yeah, I'm currently pushing on through the Witcher only because I have been told it is a great game, but so far it's been horrible, if I had paid full price I would be furious. I bought the enhanced edition but struggle to see how the original could have been any worse, the movements are jerky, player and NPC models just appear out of nowhere sometimes in the middle of dialogue. Sometimes the players animations just stop and your character continues to run despite his legs being bolted together.

The combat system is essentially Geralt holding his sword in different positions, (Gorilla, Chimp, Bonobo) and then clicking furiously at enemies until the game eventually allows you to strike them.

Then there's the cameras. It seems like they have screwed up all 3 camera types and said "Chuck them all in, let the player find the camera that's LEAST screwed up for them."

Last but not least, every dialogue ending in "We'll talk later." in exactly the same wooden tone with no facial expressions whatsoever is beginning to give me a headache.
Old 14th May 2011, 17:32   #12
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon View Post
and then clicking furiously at enemies until the game eventually allows you to strike them.
yeah you'll figure it out.. the beginning is a little slow

you hold the mouse button down and let go when the cursor changes to that sword looking thing, then go back to holding it down again.. he will unleash the whoopass =]

smashing the mouse button will get you roid rages
Old 14th May 2011, 17:44   #13
Canon
Reformed

Canon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz View Post
yeah you'll figure it out.. the beginning is a little slow

you hold the mouse button down and let go when the cursor changes to that sword looking thing, then go back to holding it down again.. he will unleash the whoopass =]

smashing the mouse button will get you roid rages
Yeah it took me a little while to work that out, but even then, I feel as though I should be playing Guitar Hero 18th Century edition.
Old 14th May 2011, 17:59   #14
thehippoz
Banned

it's different at least.. the story with simon gets interesting if you hang in there
Old 15th May 2011, 05:05   #15
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFFYDUDE
I'll never buy DLC
Same. Ship me the whole game I paid for please. Day 0 DLC is the most insulting. I'll either never play the DLC or I'll wait for the GOTY edition. Still waiting for ME2 GOTY + price drop as I played a work copy the first time round.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 17:46   #16
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
I'll admit it, I've bought quite a lot of DLC. I bought the Lair of the Shadow Broker, Kasumi, Zaeed and Arrival as well as Kestral armour for ME2 for example, which seemed to be good value. (Large new mission, get to sleep with Liara again, new squadmates, Normandy get a bar...

I'm reluctant to buy DLC which has no impact on the game or adds nothing interesting, ie, hats. Mostly because I'm still hoping someone crack the game for proper modding and such additions will inevitably flood the mod scene if that ever happens, whereas decent level packs and mission with proper voice acting won't.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 20:48   #17
Toploaded
Supermodder

Toploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Pre-ordered from gog.com and now pre-installing, really interested to see if it's a good as the podcast suggests!
Toploaded is offline   Reply With Quote