bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th May 2011, 11:31   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sony: "We can't guarantee security"

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...tee-security/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 11:38   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Burglarized?

And no, I wouldn't run an inventory before calling the police!
Old 18th May 2011, 11:39   #3
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
....What?

If my house was broken into, whether something was taken or not, I'd phone the police first :/

Also, how did they not know that cyber-security is an ongoing battle that they're likely to lose already?
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 11:39   #4
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Face, meet palm...
Old 18th May 2011, 11:40   #5
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Only those who CAN guaruntee secuirity should be storing IMPORTANT info.
If somebody is making guarantees they cant uphold - thats different issue
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 11:42   #6
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Palm, say hello to face...
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 11:44   #7
Jaffo
Modder

Jaffo has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaffo has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaffo has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaffo has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaffo has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaffo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't expect a system to 100% secure. I do expect the data within it to be encrypted.
Jaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 11:48   #8
DbD
Supermodder

DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
They protect their own IP quite happily - making our lives hell with their ott DRM, rootkits and lawsuits against anyone they don't like the look of (i.e. the little guy not the hackers as they can't catch them).

However when it comes to our data seems they aren't quite so bothered - leaving it lying around unencrypted, then having to cheek to tell us it's not their problem - pointing out if you look in the terms and conditions the small print says they are not liable.

So far Sony all you've done is convince me the hackers are right - if the only way I avoid you wrecking my PC with your rootkits is to use hacks well what choice to I have. If the only way I can get my paid for bluray to play is by using hacks to strip the (unbreakable lol) DRM off it first well what choice to I have. If the only way I can protect my identity is by making sure you don't get all my details well then it looks like I'll not be signing up to Sony.
DbD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 12:20   #9
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Here's the world's smallest violin playing just for Sony!

Honestly, one would at least expect sensitive customer data to be encrypted.

(By the way, shouldn't it be 'perceived' and not 'percieved'?)

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 12:36   #10
N!ck
ModMag.Net

N!ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
bad new world of cyber-morons from big corps =)
Old 18th May 2011, 12:50   #11
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The first step, then, is encrypting everything. That way, if someone does break in, it's not handed to them on a silver platter.

Even after all this, with the PSN back online, Sony aren't fully encrypting the data they store, at least according to their FAQ.
Old 18th May 2011, 13:17   #12
Bungletron
Hypermodder

Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.
For a failure of this scale this is a monumentally pathetic and weak excuse, with future 'its not our fault if people hack us' let off kicker attached to boot, its a disgrace.

And certainly if my house was buglarized I would phonerelize the police right away, what idiot would not? Americanisms accepted the content itself is senseless and treats Sony customers with contempt.
Bungletron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 13:18   #13
Valinor
Multimodder

Valinor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
The first step, then, is encrypting everything. That way, if someone does break in, it's not handed to them on a silver platter.

Even after all this, with the PSN back online, Sony aren't fully encrypting the data they store, at least according to their FAQ.
Yes, but if they encrypt everything well then they'll be unable to unencrypt it so you can see what information you've got stored, or they can have a reversible encryption, but in that case it'd be far easier for hackers to also reverse the encryption so there's little point.
Valinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 13:32   #14
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
'We were trying to find out in a very volatile situation what had happened and when we did we relayed it...If your house has been burglarized, you find out if you've lost something before you call the police.')
NO YOU DON'T...... you call the police, then work out what you've lost.
And burglarized isn't a word, the word is burgled, I'm not normally a grammar Nazi but this just annoy's me.

Sony: "we're not secure, we know we're not secure, you know we're not secure, we may never be secure and there's not a lot you can do about it, if you want to continue using the Playstation network"
Thank you, come again.
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 13:39   #15
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
Burglarized sounds like somthing that happens in prison showers.
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 13:41   #16
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFFYDUDE View Post
Burglarized sounds like somthing that happens in prison showers.
lol it begins with a B for sure.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 13:42   #17
Fod
what is the cheesecake?

Fod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run Crysis
Well, what do you expect them to say? "Your data and stuff is now 100% secure"? That's patently false. Sony is doing the best thing here and being brutally honest. No computer system is infallible - and with complexity and size comes ever more possible attack vectors.
Old 18th May 2011, 13:43   #18
paulp
Minimodder

paulp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by greigaitken
Only those who CAN guaruntee secuirity should be storing IMPORTANT info.
If somebody is making guarantees they cant uphold - thats different issue
Could this may have been a strategic decision not to encrypt in order to save money in work time, space programing or some other benefit that might accrue to them? If so they took a big risk of injuring and upsetting customers!!
paulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 13:47   #19
Tsung
Multimodder

Tsung has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yes, I can sign into PSnetwork, yes I'm forced to change my password.. At this point I decide the best cause of action is to remove my CC details (already stopped) and change my personal details. Ok, horse has already bolted, and im shutting the stable door, but there is a new horse in the stable and I'm certain it will bolt again.

The thing is, When I try to remove my name & address from the sony playstation network, it wont allow it. It INSISTS on having an address even if I do not wish for it to be included. So, as it required an address I gave it one... Sony's UK customer services. Storing customer information that is not requried should be outlawed, preventing customers from removing their information should be illegal. :/
Tsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 14:20   #20
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
dont care - the banks are liable under fsa guidelines.
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote