bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th May 2011, 08:54   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Asus Rampage III Black Edition Review

Asus throws every tech and trick in the book at a single motherboard.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mot...ition-review/1
Old 19th May 2011, 09:36   #2
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
*Yawn*
Who cares? Even your our own "Premium Player" system isn't based on X58 anymore...
Go test some P67/Z68 boards like you've been saying for a while now.
Buying decisions are to be made now that the Z68 curtain has fallen!
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 09:36   #3
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Deja-vu.
I swear I've read this before...
Old 19th May 2011, 09:57   #4
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.
Sweet, I can spend over 350 to buy an obsolete chipset. Get in!
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 10:08   #5
alialias
Modder

alialias has yet to learn the way of the Dremelalialias has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Do you test each LGA1366 motherboard with exactly the same CPU?
Also, in the specifications section you say that the expansion slots can be four 4x, should that be four 8x?
alialias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 10:29   #6
Bobfoc
Minimodder

Bobfoc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
With i7's replacement coming out sometime soon-ish, makes you wonder why anyone would...

I'm still happy with my P6T Deluxe V2!
Bobfoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 11:08   #7
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by alialias
Also, in the specifications section you say that the expansion slots can be four 4x, should that be four 8x?
Of course, we could hardly make any legitimate conclusions about overclockability if we didn't use the same chip for each board.

bit-tech on Facebook - Custom PC on Facebook - bit-tech on Twitter

Steam ID: votelarry - BFBC2 ID: M4terial - Feel free to add me
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 12:05   #8
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
360 for an obsolete board. Seems like a bargain!

Yeah thanks for the review, but no thanks.
Old 19th May 2011, 12:15   #9
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by alialias
Yep, the four 16x slots run at 8x, not 4x. Changed now.

And just to address the 'what's the point of this' comments, this isn't really a board for putting in a PC - nothing with LN2 modes and cold-bug workaround hardware is tbh.

instead, we've judged this board as a pro-overclocking, competition board. As we saw when we attended MSI's MOA event, pro-overclockers still prefer to play with X58 and LGA1336 - it's the fastest in massively multi-threaded tests and more challenging to work with than Sandy Bridge. See:
http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/events/...g-arena-2011/1
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-overclocker/1

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 13:12   #10
bogie170
Supermodder

bogie170 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This motherboard has 1 major fault.

No Intel SATA 6Gbs support. It has Marvel controllers so you will not get full speed out of your shiny new Vertex 3 Sandforce SSD.
bogie170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 13:27   #11
MrGumby
CPC 464 User

MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
We going to see any mini itx reviews any time soon?
MrGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 21:10   #12
kzinti1
Multimodder

kzinti1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Still the stupidest ratings system ever! I did spot the major flaw in your ratings, thing, or whatever. Where are all the reviewed items that you compare each item to? The ones that have 25 out of 25 points, or whatever they are, for "Features"? 15 out of 15 for "Value" and 60 out of 60 for "Speed"? What, exactly, is this magical product that you are constantly using as the epitome for every type of product that you review? Whatever it is, that's the one, and only one, I want to see. Because all other products can only have a final review that says that it is lacking. You'd save a lot of work that way and also save me some time reading through a review only to find that the product isn't up to snuff. There isn't any such magical product, so that certifies your ratings, thing, as utterly worthless.
kzinti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 21:44   #13
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzinti1
There isn't any such magical product, so that certifies your ratings, thing, as utterly worthless.
Been drinking a lot of caffeine today by any chance? You're missing the entire point of reviews, they are here to tell us what is good and what is bad about a product. You think everything should be reviewed against the "Best available" product which has a 100% rating. So what happens when something shinier than that comes along?

Keep it as it is BT!
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 22:39   #14
IvanIvanovich
будет глотать вашу душу.

IvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming Saiyan
when i saw thunderbolt i was hoping to see something about the new interconnect technology. no. they have stupidly named a sound + nic card thunderbolt. misleading much?
[end of line] intel xeon x3460 | evga p55 sli | 8gb mushkin blackline | evga gtx670 | seagate 600 240gb | creative titanium hd | seasonic ss460fl | gh60 keyboard | logitech g700 | achieva shimian qh270
IvanIvanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 23:04   #15
HandMadeAndroid
That's handy.

HandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the DremelHandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the DremelHandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
350 for a motherboard lol, thats half the price of a pretty decent machine that will play games
i7 3770k, Asus P8Z77-I , 16gb Patriot 1866 ddr3,EVGA 670FTW, Bitfenix Prodigy,crucial M4 128ssd,western digital black 2tb storage, wacom intuos/ i7 sandy bridge kobalt 17" laptop,120ssd, 8gb crucial ram, 500gb7200 WD storage drive, nvidia 555m 3gb/64gb iPad 2
HandMadeAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 01:01   #16
Xunsu
Minimodder

Xunsu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
that is a nice board, but X58? I m sorry isnt that close to end of life now ?
Xunsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 05:06   #17
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysol View Post
when i saw thunderbolt i was hoping to see something about the new interconnect technology. no. they have stupidly named a sound + nic card thunderbolt. misleading much?
We named and launched it before Intel announced (i.e. no products) its technology. Intel co-oped with Apple exclusively and forgot to even mention it to the rest of the industry. We learnt about it the same day you did.

An unfortunate branding co-incidence.

Appreciate the review bit-tech

For those doubting X58s relevance - well, yes, it's not for new platform buyers but it's doing quite well in what we guess is the upgrade market; those who've had X58 for a couple of years and need a new board. LGA1366 CPUs are not going to suddenly become slow one day Our focus this year is of course 1155 for Intel though
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 08:10   #18
sear
Multimodder

sear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for president
Really, bit-tech? The board costs $600 USD, over 2-3x other X58 boards, and you still give it a 10/15 as far as value is concerned? The board may be great, but ultimately it's extremely pricey, even considering its feature-set. I honestly cannot see anyone buying this except for people with way too much money, or those into extreme overclocking - but even then I imagine you'd be better served by other boards unless you really do have an unlimited budget.
sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 08:32   #19
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sear View Post
Really, bit-tech? The board costs $600 USD, over 2-3x other X58 boards, and you still give it a 10/15 as far as value is concerned? The board may be great, but ultimately it's extremely pricey, even considering its feature-set. I honestly cannot see anyone buying this except for people with way too much money, or those into extreme overclocking - but even then I imagine you'd be better served by other boards unless you really do have an unlimited budget.
Depends what you're looking for. It's got everything and the kitchen sink thrown in. That's value to someone. It's a niche board, there's no denying that, but just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's without value. You're not gonna nip to the shops for some milk in your Bugatti Veyron.

You get the very latest VRM hardware and specially tweaked BIOS to use it: ASUS employs pro-overclockers to test and tweak the original R3E design.
All sorts of ROG extras - specially designed iROG FPGAs (they aren't cheap and the firmware is custom designed by ASUS), RC Bluetooth w/ latest Bluetooth 3.0 (again not cheap), ROG connect, ROG Flashback (flash the BIOS with no CPU - uses an FPGA), TweakIt, ProbeIt, Twin BIOS w/ selection etc
Choice of either Intel LAN and slightly upgraded audio, or Xonar designed for headphones and the NPU (up to you whether you think that's value depending on what you already own)
A multitude of SLI/CrossFire options, plus compatibility with ROG Xpander if you already own it/want it since it's not unlikely that people buying this might want 2/3/4 graphics cards.
The style angle if you're building a themed case etc

Without the development of boards like this one - you wouldn't get some of the tech filtering down to consumer boards in the next generation

Last edited by Bindibadgi; 20th May 2011 at 09:10.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 02:16   #20
zoom314
Multimodder

zoom314 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claave View Post
Yep, the four 16x slots run at 8x, not 4x. Changed now.

And just to address the 'what's the point of this' comments, this isn't really a board for putting in a PC - nothing with LN2 modes and cold-bug workaround hardware is tbh.

instead, we've judged this board as a pro-overclocking, competition board. As we saw when we attended MSI's MOA event, pro-overclockers still prefer to play with X58 and LGA1336 - it's the fastest in massively multi-threaded tests and more challenging to work with than Sandy Bridge. See:
http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/events/...g-arena-2011/1
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-overclocker/1
Bit-tech has put up a nice Review, but You do need to fix one thing, I thought Bit-tech was reviewing the Asus Rampage III Black Edition and not the Asus Rampage II Black Edition? Someone might check the article as It's mentioned at least once as the Asus Rampage II Black Edition. It's a nice motherboard, But I can't see Me buying this motherboard, Not when the only difference that I can see besides the heat sinks and the slots changing colors/sizes is the addition of Wireless N which I can add to a USB port for about $15.00(US) and so the $151 or so more over the Asus Rampage III Extreme is simply not worth the extra cost to Me.
zoom314 is offline   Reply With Quote