bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th May 2011, 08:34   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Nvidia Talks 3D Vision

As a part of our 3D week, Nvidia's Andrew Fear and Phil Eisler discuss 3D Vision.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...s-03d-vision/1
Old 24th May 2011, 09:11   #2
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Wow love the Elsa glasses!
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 09:38   #3
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming Saiyan
*sigh* When you're paying £300+ for a decent graphics card, then christ knows how much for the monitor/tv, I don't wanna' be seeing the 3D glasses "ON SALE NOW!" for £84.99 (think this was on OCUK yesterday). As I said about AMD's 3D thread and article yesterday, nausea, headaches and motion sickness aren't something I suffer with until you give me 3D glasses to wear.

"Is it just a fad?" Yes. Will we all want to play normal games again soon, yes.
Old 24th May 2011, 10:29   #4
Ajhayter
What's a Dremel?

Ajhayter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAWL View Post
*sigh* When you're paying £300+ for a decent graphics card, then christ knows how much for the monitor/tv, I don't wanna' be seeing the 3D glasses "ON SALE NOW!" for £84.99 (think this was on OCUK yesterday). As I said about AMD's 3D thread and article yesterday, nausea, headaches and motion sickness aren't something I suffer with until you give me 3D glasses to wear.

Well that's the great thing about 3D. You want to play games normally? Just turn it off, or don't buy a 3D setup.

I appreciate that you have issues with the 3D system (aforementioned nausea e.t.c.), but I think within the next 2-3 years it will become very economical to do 3D in the home. Who knows, maybe they will invent a head tracking system via something like Kinekt and incorporate 3D into that.
Ajhayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 10:36   #5
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not supporting DisplayPort because not much uses it yet is like saying back in the late 90's that they wouldn't support DVI because most people still use analogue CRTs.
Old 24th May 2011, 10:51   #6
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
"I remember when people said that things like anti-aliasing, tessellation and shader would be niche for game developers, and all those technologies have sort of become the default."
As far as I know none of these technologies were ever considered "niche". Rather, they've never really come into play (until now?) because of crappy console ports.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 11:00   #7
JCBeastie
Supermodder

JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajhayter View Post
Who knows, maybe they will invent a head tracking system via something like Kinekt and incorporate 3D into that.
There's an iPad app called i3D that uses face recognition to track your head and calculate its position, it then renders a 3d scene using what it assumes is your perspective. It actually works very well and in my opinion is the best way to make games 'feel' more 3 dimensional. This has the bonus of allowing you to move your head to see around objects but also it allows you to experience 3d with say; one eye, as it's actually still 2d.

I have a real issue with needing to wear glasses to see in 3d, it just doesn't work; it's not comfortable and due to the way they function not ideally suited for everyone.

Gaming is a medium that can work very well in 3d. Due to real-time rendering the perspective can change as you move. Movies on the other hand are very bad in 3d, as certain parts of what is essentially a flat image (or more technically, 2 images) have to be given depth; the result looks like a pop-up book with flat planes at different levels.

My personal opinion is that 2d is just great; we live our lives seeing the world in 3d; it's really nothing special. 2d is basically a unique experience and we get the liberty to choose which element of the image we want to look at, instead of a focal point jumping out at us because the designers wanted it that way...

Basically, 3d with glasses is bad, 3d displays without eye-wear could be good. Movies in 3d are bad, but games in 3d could be good.
JCBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 11:00   #8
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good read with a brew, cheers BT.

The best bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia
You also get a wider viewing angle with active shutter glasses, which has its benefits if you find yourself looking around. We're also designing our 3D Vision monitors with this 120Hz technology, which has benefits when you're not using 3D – you get the a really fast response time at 120Hz, so if you just want to do 2D you get an incredibly smooth gaming experience, and you simply don't get that with passive monitors today.
Now all I need is Dell to push out a 30" 120hz (minimum) 3D monitor so I can play Portal 2 again in full 3D ... mmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBeastie View Post
there's actually an iPad app called i3D that uses face recognition to track your head and calculate its position, it then renders a 3d scene using what it assumes is your perspective. It actually works very well and in my opinion is the best way to make games 'feel' more 3 dimensional.
I installed that yesterday. It works, kind of, but the 3D depth is not there. It just felt like recreated 3D in 2D with a gyroscope-like control method.
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 11:28   #9
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
If the push for 3D results in a 120Hz IPS monitor being available on the market, I'm all for it.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 11:31   #10
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
3D is coming whether we like it or not - and as it's still early days, it will get better and cheaper over time.

Think I posted that exact line on a dial-up bullettin board 20 years ago about DVD, wireless, (insert tech here)...
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 11:50   #11
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
i played wipeout hd in 3d on my playstation, and it's awesome, although it does take a little getting used to
Old 24th May 2011, 12:10   #12
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

shigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysis
Quote:
somewhere in the middle. I you look at the data
I think this should be if

Quote:
doubling from year to year, and will probably to continue to double in sales until about 2014
I think theres an extra to in this sentance
Old 24th May 2011, 12:12   #13
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
In fact, the core gaming audience is getting more excited about 3D in some cases than SLI.
Did i just read this right? People..actually..get..excited..about S.L.I.?
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 12:13   #14
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajhayter
Well that's the great thing about 3D. You want to play games normally? Just turn it off, or don't buy a 3D setup.

I appreciate that you have issues with the 3D system (aforementioned nausea e.t.c.), but I think within the next 2-3 years it will become very economical to do 3D in the home. Who knows, maybe they will invent a head tracking system via something like Kinekt and incorporate 3D into that.
If they got rid of the nausea and headache issues for 99% of consumers then I could see it as a truly viable option. But until then, well I'll happily go without... i'll probably go without anyway as seeing 3D on a 2D screen while IRL is 3D just makes it seem... well odd!

Quote:
dial-up
Sir... we don't mention that round these parts *raises pitchfork*
Old 24th May 2011, 13:13   #15
kylew
Multimodder

kylew has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock View Post
Did i just read this right? People..actually..get..excited..about S.L.I.?

I believe he believes they do!
kylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 13:58   #16
PureSilver
E-tailer Tailor

PureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
To be honest, I don't think 3D is going to replace 2D until proper 3D displays arrive - and by that, I mean displays where your eye can focus in the perceived depth plane (unlike current 3D, which no matter how shallow or deep you are looking, requires focus on the screen itself). Prototype holographic displays exist (currently only in one colour, though) so I say we'll get there eventually...
PureSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 14:08   #17
[WP@]WOLVERINE
Supermodder

[WP@]WOLVERINE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel[WP@]WOLVERINE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This a textbook example of worthless tech that nobody asked for but somehow the manufacturers are trying to convince us that we cant live without it. Sorry but if i want a headache i rather drink heavily the day before because that gives me a IRL experience and costs alot less!!!
Intel i7 980X EE | 6gb HyperX 2ghz DDR3 | Asus P6T Deluxe OC Palm ed | Asus 7950 DCII | Corsair HX1000 | SB X-Fi Fatality | 5.1tb storage+2xX25M 80gb SSD | Lian Li pc201 | 3xBenQ G2420HDB@Eyefinity | Ms Natural 4000 | Corsair M60 | Logitech Z-5450.
[WP@]WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 14:08   #18
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAWL
*sigh* When you're paying 300+ for a decent graphics card, then christ knows how much for the monitor/tv, I don't wanna' be seeing the 3D glasses "ON SALE NOW!" for 84.99 (think this was on OCUK yesterday). As I said about AMD's 3D thread and article yesterday, nausea, headaches and motion sickness aren't something I suffer with until you give me 3D glasses to wear.

I have used active shutter 3d since 2004 at least on PC and have never had nausea or headaches. It sounds to me like you have underlying medical issues.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 14:11   #19
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSilver
To be honest, I don't think 3D is going to replace 2D until proper 3D displays arrive - and by that, I mean displays where your eye can focus in the perceived depth plane (unlike current 3D, which no matter how shallow or deep you are looking, requires focus on the screen itself). Prototype holographic displays exist (currently only in one colour, though) so I say we'll get there eventually...
I agree. This hardware is only now getting going in a big way and I think the next 10 years will see it refined and perfected enormously. Having used the old Elsa Revelator shutter glasses over many years though I have no problems using it even as it is now. I don't mind wearing glasses but of course look forward to to the day auto-stereoscopic displays are as natural on the eye as 2d (nothing natural about 2d since we are born with 3d vision).
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 14:35   #20
the_kille4
Chaos will rule da world.eventually

the_kille4 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i thought DVI would be phased out... I remember reading an bit-tech article about that...
Speakers: Ceed 682F (Front) | Q Acoustics 2010i (Side) | Q Acoustics 1010i (Rear) | Q Acoustics 1000Ci (Center) | Q Acoustics 1000Si (Sub)
the_kille4 is offline   Reply With Quote