bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th May 2011, 14:03   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Leaked slide details AMD Bulldozer models

A leaked Asus presentation slide purportedly details the specs of AMD's forthcoming Bulldozer CPUs.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...dozer-models/1
Old 24th May 2011, 15:18   #2
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If the default frequencies are really that high, I'd be worried. Do AMD really need to clock such a new architecture so high to compete right at the start of its life cycle?
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 15:20   #3
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Who said the frequencies where high. Maybe its ultra low.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 15:36   #4
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
"Do you think they will be able to compete with Intel's Sandy Bridge chips?"

Clock for clock, core for core....no

I'm still going to assume a SB 2500k @ 4.2Ghz will be faster than a 4 core BD @ 4.2Ghz.

But as usual with AMD, they will use 6 & 8 cores to outpace the SB 4 cores...which is fine if the game/app your using is well multithreaded...not so great if you need all the single core speed you can get.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 15:38   #5
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I agree with both of the first 2 comments. Frequencies that high is really a big step for a brand new product, however, a frequency like that might actually be low. There are some IBM PPC based processors that operate at 5ghz for it's standard speed. Since this is a brand new architecture, 3.8ghz might actually be like what 2.6 used to be.
Old 24th May 2011, 15:52   #6
MrJay
You are always where you want to be

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
Lets just wait and see : )

HTPC Silverstone Milo - A4 -5300 APU Undervolted - Biostar HI-FI A85SC - 4GB Corsair Ram Overclocked to 1600mhz - 64GB Toshiba X-Gale SSD
MrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 15:57   #7
Birdy
Minimodder

Birdy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
^+1

As fun as it is, we shouldn't be passing judgement when we only have some people's guesses and opinions to go on, and who says that the slides are genuine anyway?

Looking forward to it coming out though - is it June or July or what?
Birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 16:02   #8
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Rumoured to be the week of the 20th June.

Rumoured

Bindi's hint on another thread about waiting two weeks before upgrading has me wondering if they might be a little earlier.
CrapBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 16:07   #9
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Being able to upgrade from a dual core running at 3Ghz to 8 cores at 3Ghz+ would me a monumental upgrade and huge jump in performance for me.
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 16:08   #10
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I thought it was more of 3.3GHz stock, 3.8GHz max turbo on all cores, and a max turbo on one core of 4.3/4.5GHz.
All of the chips in the slide can turbo at max over 1GHz, for a single core.
We already know that the desktop chips will turbo 500MHz max when all the cores are being used fully.

Not long to wait before the reviews come in
Old 24th May 2011, 16:12   #11
DST
What's a Dremel?

DST has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't know about you but I'm tired of hearing "bulldozer this, bulldozer that". I don't care about leaks regardless of how amazing they look or what they tell.

Until I see head to head comparison of Intel- and Amd-based systems (similarly priced) - all these leaks are VAPORWARE to me
DST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 16:53   #12
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
Errr. The article you just read did (or at least it speculated).
Quote:
but the current numbers being bandied around are a stock speed of 3.8GHz (4.2GHz with Turbo Core)
I'd have hoped a newer more efficient architecture would have been able to compete at lower clock speeds leaving room to improve in the future.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 16:57   #13
Action_Parsnip
Hypermodder

Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3v1ck
If the default frequencies are really that high, I'd be worried. Do AMD really need to clock such a new architecture so high to compete right at the start of its life cycle?

(Oh noes the clockm speeds are soo high!) + (Oh noes the clock speeds are soo low!) = Derp

Q6700@3.475ghz 9x386mhz, Asus P5-B Deluxe WIFI-AP, 2x2gb Kingston 1066 @965mhz 5-5-5-15, western Digital Caviar Black 1tb HDD, Titan Fenrir, PC Power&Cooling 750w, XFX 4890
Action_Parsnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 17:57   #14
Goty
Supermodder

Goty has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3v1ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
Errr. The article you just read did (or at least it speculated).
"High" and "low" clockspeeds are relative. As mentioned earlier, there are designs that hit several GHz higher than what we're used to now, so launching at even slightly below 4GHz would equate to a "low" clockspeed part. It's all dependent on the architecture.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 18:21   #15
warejon9
Multimodder

warejon9 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yea i think its CPC performance, i mean look at the i7 920 compared to the x4 965 in encoding etc etc. I hope that whatever AMD put out it will be good I think Intel has learned their lesson from the netburst eira. I feel sorry in a way for AMD considering how much bigger Intel is slightly unfair.

Also didn't SB launch with clocks in the range of 3ghz for the higher tier stuff? So who cares what speed they launch at, as long as their CPC is good and they don't burn a hole in your mobo.
warejon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 19:21   #16
OCJunkie
OC your Dremel too

OCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Either way I'm excited, CPC performance might still land behind SB but for the price difference (I asssume) that's something I'm willing to accept. The article didn't mention any clocks but knowing AMD they'll have plenty of headroom... my 955's @3.8 on air and stock volt so I know it can do even better, and I expect BD to have that kind of flex too.
Gaming: CM 690 II A / XFX Pro850 XXX / GB 990FXA-UD3 / X4 955BE @3.8GHz - Hyper 212+ / 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 / XFX HD 6950 2GB - Twin Turbo Pro / OCZ Agility 3 60GB / WD Black 640GB & Green 1TB / 3x Acer 23in @5760x1080 Eyefinity
Media: Ultra Aluminus / Corsair TX750 / GB MA790X-UD4 / X2 7750BE @3GHz - Freezer64 Pro / 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC 1066 / HD 4670 1GB / WD Blue 320GB + Green 1TB & 1.5TB / Samsung 40in HDTV / Samsung HW-C560S / Harmony 300
OCJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 04:35   #17
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrapBag
Rumoured to be the week of the 20th June.

Rumoured

Bindi's hint on another thread about waiting two weeks before upgrading has me wondering if they might be a little earlier.
No, I said wait for the announcements and reviews before making a decision. I never commented on launch dates
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 04:49   #18
confusis
Kiwi-modder

confusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysis
And so begins the mhz(ghz) wars again.

I'm hoping these are the low end of the clocks, or they have mahoosive o/c potential
confusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 05:06   #19
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
Don't think anyone's said this yet but might aswell, could be that they want to obliterate Intel with their superior architecture so they have high stock speeds! Well, one can dream :P

Or it could just be that AMD is trying to increase expected clock speeds by pushing higher speeds for stock. We can't possibly stay in the 3GHz area forever.....or can we? :-(
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 05:32   #20
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
I've just confirmed with the motherboard dept.

This slide is FAKE

It is NOT from ASUS. We never use the term 'mainboard' or plain white slides without NDA information.

Dear Paul, would you mind adjusting the news story to reflect this Thank you!

Last edited by Bindibadgi; 25th May 2011 at 10:12.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote