1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Kebechet - Zalman GS1000

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Farfalho, 24 May 2011.

?

What is your opinion on the project?

Poll closed 14 May 2012.
  1. Looks promising

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Interesting but doesn't push my buttons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Another run of the mill

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Hi everyone, I’m showing my project that I have been thinking about for a while as I thought that this case was capable of more, and daring to say, underrated, the Zalman GS1000 :D
    I believe everyone already knows the case and it’s fair to say that it open precedents to certain functionalities that were very welcome on its debut without being overpriced.
    So here I go: After a very long brainstorming with myself, in the quest to find the perfect name for it, and with some research I’ve finally nailed it: Kebechet (read as Khebhut):idea: I wanted to name it after Anubis, the meccha villain from the game Z.O.E II but I wouldn’t be able to reproduce something as close as it and researching how could I relate the project to the Egyptian deity, I’ve stumbled across his daughter Kebechet – here you can check its meaning.

The concept was given to my artistic abilities because my CAD program, Solidworks, freaked out and removed its activation. I tried to work with Google SketchIp but I found it horrible and somewhat with limitations, faults I believe are due to have experience around Solidworks which gives me more freedom. So I apologize for the low quality and for some project’s elements missing as well the yummy render printscreens.:blush:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The parts that will make into the Project are and will be:
    Zalman GS1000
    Asus M3A32MVP-Deluxe WiFi
    AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition
    LC-Power Arkangel 850W
    OCZ 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 PC8500 Gold Edition
    ATi Sapphire HD4870 Toxic 1GB GDDR5 (2)
    Asus Optical internal Drive (will be external)
    Western Digital 250GB RE2 SATA2 (2)
    Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA 2
    Maxtor 120GB SATA1

Watercooling Parts:
    CPU Block - EK Supreme HF Plexi
    GPU Block - EK CF4870 (2)
    Radiators - EK Coolstream Rad XT 120 e 240
    Reservoir - custom
    Pump - EK DCP 4.0 com o EK DCP Base holder
    Fittings - EK PSC 10mm G1/4 3/8" Black (15)
    EK 90º Screw on G1/4 3/8" Black (20)
    Filters (6)
    Through Hole (4)

Modding:
    Tinted acrylic (side window)
    Clear acrylic (Reservoir)
    Sleeving (Black and Blue)
    Molex connector daisy chained
    White or UV LED strip
    Paint will be Piano Black and Electric Blue (still haven’t found the name and the combination I want)

Watercooling Loop:
    Pump-> Cpu-> Radiator 120-> GPUs-> Radiator 240-> Reservoir-> Pump

Side Panel:
    The side window will be in clear acrylic and will have the shape of my mouse mat, Roccat Sota, and will create the same effect as the interrogation room window, not showing that the side panel was modded and only can the interior be seen from the outside when the LED strip is lit up. Below the side window will be another clear acrylic showing an engraved feature that comes with the case and later on you will be able to see it.
    It will also have the EK logo in blue and will be done in vertical orientation as you can see in the sketch and I’ll try to give it the same brushed effect as the aluminum side panel.

Reservoir:
    The reservoir will be tall and thin, its capacity isn’t the top feature but the effect it will do. The “rack” (giggles) shown will force the coolant to run along the front creating a waterfall/rain pouring effect and to guarantee it can do it, 3 inlets will be made on the top so it has the necessary flow to make it work.
    On the outlet tube, a valve will be installed so I can empty the whole loop to proceed with the maintenance of the whole hardware and water blocks.
    [​IMG]
    Colour:

Accordingly to the case plastic parts, the interior will be a mix of Piano Black and a electric blue. I’m trying to get the right colour to match the blue LED in Power Button, as well from my Asus VK246H monitor and my Roccat Kone. It was pure coincident the blue lights to be so identical and pleasing me to the point to break from colour scheme. Decision that was final when I’ve decided to acquire the Roccat Isku and again the black and blue strikes again.

I’ve also thought of glossy white and piano black due to my headset, Creative Blaster Arena, but it’s a colour scheme already “whored” LOL:eek:

[​IMG]
    The top panel I’m deciding if that artwork of water flowing into the case will make into the final build and I even know how to recreate that but we shall see if I can make it without ruining the panel or even regret it.:confused:

The sleeving will have the same colour as the project and the molex cable will lose its default appearance to be now daisy chained, saving space and looks when I connect them to the Hot Swap PCB, the ZM-HS100. The disks that I have will be for storage only so I can use a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB:rock: and 2 Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB (anime and tv shows whoring :D) So I will have support for 6 disk in Hot Swap support. You can’t imagine how many times this feature has helped repairing pc’s :rock:

Also, I will use the tinted acrylic or blue to make a PSU cable cover and some other visual treats inside the case that didn’t get drawn.
    After all, I can’t tell everything, some suspense must be present. ;)
    I leave you with some action already done (lapping and the mouse mat base) and some material that has arrived and one of them you should recognize immediately. I even tremble just by holding it due to its “sheer power” loool:naughty:

Acrylic base for Sota
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    Working the acrylic:
    I’ve screwed up a bit here because I used an old B&D jigsaw with a thin metal blade with no speed control, result: The acrylic melted no before it create a kind of foam (hot and like an idiot burnt a little the tip of my finger):duh:
    [​IMG]
    Afterwards I went for the newer B&D jigsaw with speed control and a thicker blade and magic was done:p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Lapping:
    This is the first time I lapped a cpu. I’ve tried first with 100, 220 and 320 grit sand paper on a P4 skt478 that I had lying around and after seeing the results I went straight to the business. Started with a 220 and moved on to 320, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and 2000 grit. The 2500 grit sand paper was in fault because the store didn’t have it but I will get it when the I purchase the cpu waterblock. I used the cross technique, with a permanent marker made two crossing lines from each corner, to check when the surface was flat. I was so concentrated that I forgot to take some photos for the intermediary stages.

Before:
    [​IMG]

800 Grit:
    [​IMG]
    1200 Grit:
    [​IMG]
    1500 Grit:
    [​IMG]
    Result with 2000 Grit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lapping Aftermatch::jawdrop:
    [​IMG]
    Zalman CNPS9900 LED Cleansing Bath :
    Before:
    It was an authentic filth :eeek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In Between
    Second time I cleansed it this way and it comes out as new. This time I didn’t recover its shine because I didn’t boiled the water properly because it would spill out when I was lapping the cpu (only recommended to 100% pure copper blocks, coolers)
    [​IMG]
    With its bath taken in a water and vinegar solution::D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The goodies that arrived yesterday::clap:
    [​IMG]
    Yap, it’s the 12g :naughty:
    [​IMG]
    :cooldude:
    [​IMG]

Lapping and AS5 effect on the cpu and gpu:
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

Now I only need the 2500grit sand paper and get the whole rig under watercooling :D

I’ll be updating the topic as briefly as I can but in this country, as you may have heard in the news, the money isn’t flowing like I would like and I have to stretch it so I can have to other things.:wallbash:

I really hope that the finished project will be a sight for me sore eyes and pays the due hommage that this case deserves :hip:

I apologize for some low quality photos but the 5MP camera of the Samsung H1 can only do so much :sigh:

2. Anubus

Anubus Minimodder

You have awesome drawing abilities there.
    And, good luck on acquiring funds :p

3. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Double thanks. :D
    At least, the modding and painting part I hope to have it finished already this month. The WC hardware next month, hope so!