bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th May 2011, 11:38   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Can 3D Shed Its Need For Glasses?

We take a look at glasses-free 3D technology, and see how close it is to entering the living room.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-for-glasses/1
Old 28th May 2011, 12:26   #2
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
although the technology is more adept at providing depth to scenes than making things pop out at you
Isn't this the point, though? When film makers move away from the "OMG! Throwing things at you!!" model of 3D cinematography and move towards a more natural version of 3D that provides depth to scenes, then we'll know it's a mature technology.

Until then, it's just gimmickry, certainly in movieland.
Old 28th May 2011, 12:32   #3
fingerbob69
Hypermodder

fingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"We also can’t help feeling that needing this kind of power [high-end grahics card in a box] on tap local to the TV is likely to be a problem for those wishing to have an auto-stereoscopic experience in their living room. "

Er, why would think that. A 3d box under your TV would simply join the exsisting gang of DVD player, Sky/Freeview, console etc. And it would remain natural until TV manufacurers integrated it into the TV ....just like the DVD, Freeview etc.

Cordless Mouseman optical ...deceased
XFX 4890 + Artic Twin Turbo Pro ...retired 26.10.2014
fingerbob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 14:05   #4
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
I think it's more to do with power consumption - a high end GPU pulls a lot of power when running at full pelt, and I don't think most people would be happy with that just to watch 3D.
Old 28th May 2011, 14:18   #5
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Absolutely nothing wrong with images extending out of the screen so long as what's projected is worthwhile.

Also this misinformation that 3d = huge GPU power is utter nonsense. It depends on the game requirements as well as the GPU.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 14:19   #6
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I suspect many of the people who trash 3d have little actual experience of it.
Old 28th May 2011, 15:01   #7
steve30x
Multimodder

steve30x has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
I suspect many of the people who trash 3d have little actual experience of it.
Or that it just doesnt work for a lot of us maybe? What you just said is very narrowminded.

Anyway I hope that if glasses free 3D soes eventually happen that it will work for everybody and if it doesnt work for everybody the picture seen wont look funny for people that cant see 3D. Also after reading that article I would much rather the 3D add depth to the screen rather than things popping out of the screen. In my opinion it makes more sense to have the depth in the screen rather than have things pop out of the screen.
RAM : 4GIG Kingston ValueRam 1333MHZ @ 1224mhz
Power Supplie :Corsair HX1000

Last edited by steve30x; 28th May 2011 at 15:14.
steve30x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 15:37   #8
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers View Post
Also this misinformation that 3d = huge GPU power is utter nonsense. It depends on the game requirements as well as the GPU.
Did you read the article?

It wasn't talking about 3D gaming, it was talking about converting a stereoscopic 3D picture (like the ones at the cinema or on 3D BluRays) into a multi-view auto-stereoscopic 3D image; THIS is what takes the processing power, especially given that they've only got a limited amount of time to do that processing. No mention of gaming anywhere.
Old 28th May 2011, 15:48   #9
sub routine
Archie Gemel

sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
meh, its a part of the industry thats still in its infancy. Just feels like the next big thing thats being shoved down our throats it`s more $$ right now that quality. Don`t get me wrong i for one am quite imppressed by it but i also am not star struck and will be quite happy to wait for a good few years yet till they can provide something worth while of my hard earned money.
sub routine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 16:22   #10
maverik-sg1
Supermodder

maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
although the technology is more adept at providing depth to scenes than making things pop out at you
Isn't this the point, though? When film makers move away from the "OMG! Throwing things at you!!" model of 3D cinematography and move towards a more natural version of 3D that provides depth to scenes, then we'll know it's a mature technology.

Until then, it's just gimmickry, certainly in movieland.
Totally agree, nuff said
maverik-sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 17:56   #11
Kaihekoa
Minimodder

Kaihekoa has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The current 3D tech isn't sophisticated enough to attract a mass market. Most people's only experience with it is the gimmicky glasses required movies. It will be at least 10 years before any 3D technology is adapted by a mass market.
Kaihekoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 19:24   #12
feathers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot
Quote:
Did you read the article?

It wasn't talking about 3D gaming, it was talking about converting a stereoscopic 3D picture (like the ones at the cinema or on 3D BluRays) into a multi-view auto-stereoscopic 3D image; THIS is what takes the processing power, especially given that they've only got a limited amount of time to do that processing. No mention of gaming anywhere.
You know, it must be said I became somewhat lazy over the past few years. So lazy that sometimes I don't read an article, just look at the pics or skim through the text. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and start reading stuff again. That means no more copy and pasting of my standard argumentative pro-3d replies.

Is there anyone else here who instead of reading a hardware or game review, skips to the end conclusion page?
Old 28th May 2011, 19:26   #13
Toploaded
Supermodder

Toploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome, glad to see things progressing in this direction. 3D that I care about may be a good decade off at least, but great to see it's in the pipeline.
Toploaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 19:42   #14
Xlog
Supermodder

Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Imo, this is the closest we've come to true glassless 3D

and while iPont solution is a move to a right direction, it still requires viewer to find a "sweet spot".
Secondly while we have somehow limited way to display 3D continent, we have no practical way to produce it (multiple angle 3D)
Old 28th May 2011, 20:39   #15
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
it will be glassesless eventually, smaller gadgets like the 3DS and such are making the tech cheaper on the small scale and will slowly start reducing the cost on the large scale.
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 02:55   #16
lm_wfc
Supermodder

lm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysis
I don't see why people think adding depth behind is a bad thing. All 3d films I've seen look much better when the image has depth than when stuff pops out, it's like a window, you see through it.
Old 29th May 2011, 04:38   #17
Burdman27911
Modder

Burdman27911 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
You know, it must be said I became somewhat lazy over the past few years. So lazy that sometimes I don't read an article, just look at the pics or skim through the text. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and start reading stuff again. That means no more copy and pasting of my standard argumentative pro-3d replies.

Is there anyone else here who instead of reading a hardware or game review, skips to the end conclusion page?
Typically not unless it's something not entirely interesting to me... but if I do, I certainly don't make comments about content I never read, especially ones accusing others of misinformation.... but that's just me.
Burdman27911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 05:00   #18
Kiytan
Shiny

Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm_wfc View Post
I don't see why people think adding depth behind is a bad thing. All 3d films I've seen look much better when the image has depth than when stuff pops out, it's like a window, you see through it.
Same, some of the shots of tree climbing in avatar 3D (especially when they look down) look amazing in 3D. (UP looked much nicer in 3D as well).
Hate the pop out of screen stuff though
Kiytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 10:37   #19
lm_wfc
Supermodder

lm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiytan View Post
Same, some of the shots of tree climbing in avatar 3D (especially when they look down) look amazing in 3D. (UP looked much nicer in 3D as well).
Hate the pop out of screen stuff though
Not seen UP, but avatar is still the only film I've seen I thought 3D was worth it.
Old 29th May 2011, 17:16   #20
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm_wfc
I agree too a point but sometimes that depth makes the characters appear 2D in a 3D world. Like little cardboard cutouts. Maybe it's just bad effects.
Theres a trailer rolling in my local cinema at the minute that does it but I can't remember the name of it. The camera is flying over a large medieval army at an angle and they all look flat. Reminds me of Doom or Duke 3D. Whereas Tron's subtle use of 3D added that extra depth and was quite enjoyable.

I guess even after all this time they are still working out how best too use it. Although my mate personally thought Tron's 3D was pointless and much preferred the more in yer face style. Horses. Courses.
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote