bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 31st May 2011, 12:43   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Fractal Design Arc Review

We love Fractal's low-noise cases, but can its new range of high-airflow cases steal our hearts too?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...n-arc-review/1
Old 31st May 2011, 12:49   #2
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really want the Arc Mini so badly.

Gorgeous lookin' case.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 12:53   #3
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I like the look of it, and the possibility of sitting a 360 rad on the roof (outside), but there doesn't look to be a lot of room for the rest of the loop - could be very cramped.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 12:56   #4
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Review
Our only reservation is that its muted style doesn’t do anything to make it stand out in what is a crowded market place.
Ugh. Don't you think there are enough "Turbo Xtreme" cases in the market place already? Seriously, trying to find a competent case that doesn't look like the love child of a leaf-blower and a Nascar is hard enough as it is, don't go encouraging them!

*Hugs his Fractal Designs R3*
Old 31st May 2011, 13:08   #5
kaiser
Minimodder

kaiser has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That is one swanky looking case and a great price, though I think that the inclusion of 8-hdd drive bays is as laughable as the number of optical drive bays in the first CM Stacker!
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 13:08   #6
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Frankly, Fractal make cases that are understated and don't scream "I'm a teenager". I went off windows, LED fans, cathode tubes and ridiculous styling years and years ago, so Fractal fit the bill perfectly. I'd actually say that they're the ones standing out from the crowd of tacky crap.

Good case for £75, but I'll stick with my Define R3 in white for now.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 13:17   #7
Bede
Ultramodder

Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
+1 to Cei - understated is better than colourful neon crap. Function over form! I'm torn between the R3 and this, but as I value silence above extreme OC'ing I think I'll go with the Define R3.
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced (white edition) | i5-2500K | MSI P67-GD53 | MSI GTX580 | 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 1.5V | Gelid Tranquillo | Asus Xonar DS | 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro M | Corsair Force Series 3 60GB | Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Bede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 13:21   #8
JCBeastie
Supermodder

JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Very nice looking case, understated.

The only thing that is putting me off is the huge Fractal branding, not keen on that at all.
JCBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 13:22   #9
jalex3
What's a Dremel?

jalex3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nice case, good to see the oi not connected to the front panel.
jalex3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 13:30   #10
Picarro
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Very slick with the extra expansion port in the back.
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5gHz -:- Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 -:- 2x4 gbCorsair Vengeance 1,5v 1600mHz -:- Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 670 -:- Crucial M4 128 gb -:- Samsung F3 Spinpoint 640 gb -:- Corsair H60 with 2x Gentle Typhoon 1850 in push-pull -:- Corsair HX650 -:- Lian Li A05FN -:- Dell U2410 flanked by 2x Dell U2001FP -:- BenQ W1000+ -:-
Picarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 13:34   #11
T2I3M
Multimodder

T2I3M has yet to learn the way of the DremelT2I3M has yet to learn the way of the DremelT2I3M has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very nice looking case, I may have to get myself one :-)
AMD Phenom II 955-Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus-Asus M4A78 Pro -ASUS DirectCUII 670 TOP-8GB DDR2 Ram-Samsung 840 Pro 256GB-1Tb Samsung HDD-Corsair HX750W-Fractal Design R3-23" LG W2361V Monitor-Windows 7 HP 64Bit-Logitech MX518
T2I3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 13:36   #12
Technobod
Finally bought a desktop :D

Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.
Would a triple 120mm rad fit in the ceiling if the uppermost optical bad wasn't used?

[Weihrauch HW100S .22 + HW100KT .177 + HW97K .22][Hawke Panoramas 4x-12x x3]
Technobod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 13:48   #13
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei
Frankly, Fractal make cases that are understated and don't scream "I'm a teenager". I went off windows, LED fans, cathode tubes and ridiculous styling years and years ago, so Fractal fit the bill perfectly. I'd actually say that they're the ones standing out from the crowd of tacky crap.
Exactly that.

There is of course a market for cases that look like Transformer Robots 'mid-transform', but there's also a market for more elegant looking equipment as well - Fractal Design seem to be cornering that section of the market quiet nicely.
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 14:07   #14
urobulos
Supermodder

urobulos has yet to learn the way of the Dremelurobulos has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think the front looks ugly. Mind, you I like Fractal cases and I think the next upgrade will be either the R3 or the Fortress 02 (if I can be bothered to fork out the extra cash). This seems to be neither here nor there really. The R3 is a quiet and stylish case which sacrifices some cooling performance. I guess this does cool better, but if you have to sacrifice the looks or the noise levels then I think it's a bit pointless. Hmm, actually I'm probably a bit too harsh, it's still a very good case which is worth buying for the price, but there are other air cooling cases which have similar price points and looks (midway between clean R3 design and the HAF monstrosities) so it just doesn't stand out as much.
urobulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 14:35   #15
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urobulos View Post
I think the front looks ugly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBeastie View Post
The only thing that is putting me off is the huge Fractal branding, not keen on that at all.
I do agree that the massive branding on the front is a downside. They should have stuck with a nice plain front!
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 14:53   #16
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
There's no picture of the so well described top of the case...
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 15:18   #17
infered101
Supermodder

infered101 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Front panel Power, reset, 2x USB 3, 1x USB 3, stereo, microphone
Typo, threw me off at first as i was thinking wow finally two USB 3's then i saw another one.

Anways i like the case except i do have to agree that the branding is bad. I like the cleanness though. Nice to see that people are are going quality over flash. Some competition for Lian Li (last time i bought a "nice" case, Lian Li really was only nice and clean option). Now lets just hope this trend moves towards MicroATX as honestly alot of people are building smaller computers nowadays.
Old 31st May 2011, 16:04   #18
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
great case
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 16:33   #19
TAG
Supermodder

TAG has yet to learn the way of the DremelTAG has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
deleted

edit: my bad
Crucial C300 128GB # 5x Samsung F1 1TB
Corsair TX850 # Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced # 3x Dell U2410 monitors
TAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 18:01   #20
chrismarkham1982
amateur destroyer/Head not well

chrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
i decided to take the plunge and get a define r3 as i couldnt stand waiting for this case any longer............................................ .that was 2 weeks ago
hard or soft to suit your taste

Sony Vaio SVE1513Q1EB (I5 3230m, 8GB DDR3-1600, 128 SSD/750GB HDD) - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1...now the Wife's...she dosn't seem to appreciate it - Samsung Galaxy Tab PRO 8.4
chrismarkham1982 is offline   Reply With Quote