bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Jun 2011, 07:52   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
A New Golden Age of Gaming

We talk to Relentless and Chillingo to see how the mobile market is reshaping the industry.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/apple...ge-of-gaming/1
Old 1st Jun 2011, 08:22   #2
thil
Multimodder

thil has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The trouble is that Angry Birds is to, say, Deus Ex as Twilight is to Catch-22.
thil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 08:29   #3
Ph4ZeD
Banned

Ph4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run Crysis
Excellent article. To the above poster - mobile gaming is always going to be more casual, drop in and play focused due to the nature.
Ph4ZeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 08:48   #4
Nikols
Supermodder

Nikols has yet to learn the way of the DremelNikols has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yup, apple have nailed the drop in and play aspect of their iOS platforms. Take FIFA 11... On a bus playing a match, it's your stop next, hit the home button and put your phone in your pocket, make calls, play on the net then decide to finish the match so open FIFA and it's right there where you left it.

The multitasking methodology applied allows games that would not traditionally be drop in and play be played in this manner.
AMD 1090T @ 4.03ghz (238x17@1.42v) | Corsair H50 | Crosshair V Formula | 6gb Kingston Hyper X 1600mhz | Gainward GTX 580 GS | GTX 280 physx | Crucial C300 Real SSD 256gb | 3 x 500gb WD caviar black | Corsair HX1000 PSU | LG Blu-Ray | Bose Companion 5 |Sony MDR-DS7000 7.1 wireless headphones | Dell U2711 | G9 & Wolfking Warrior pad
Nikols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 09:18   #5
KiNETiK
Multimodder

KiNETiK has yet to learn the way of the DremelKiNETiK has yet to learn the way of the DremelKiNETiK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Although Apple's closed platform has its flaws and annoyances, I cannot see myself switching to Android any time soon thanks to the range and quality of the apps/games available on iOS. I have been really impressed at some of the titles available on the mobile platform.
KiNETiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 09:20   #6
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikols
Yup, apple have nailed the drop in and play aspect of their iOS platforms. Take FIFA 11... On a bus playing a match, it's your stop next, hit the home button and put your phone in your pocket, make calls, play on the net then decide to finish the match so open FIFA and it's right there where you left it.

The multitasking methodology applied allows games that would not traditionally be drop in and play be played in this manner.
funny how apple gets the credit for that when its actually EA who developed it

i disagree about the comment that the mobile market will always be casual. in 10 years we have gone from the nokia 3300 to the samsung omnia 7 what is another 5-10 years going to bring?

it only one title to change the shape of gaming
Old 1st Jun 2011, 09:23   #7
Ph4ZeD
Banned

Ph4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run Crysis
It will always be mostly casual. Hard to be immersed if your standing in a rainy bus stop on a cold, windy autumn night.
Ph4ZeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 09:48   #8
kaiser
Minimodder

kaiser has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I agree with the above comment.. I find that most of my mobile purchases are spur of the moment as I find myself needing something to do away from home, as the caption on the second picture says "Yet it's often the simplest games which stand out the most", well perhaps thats because no gamers want to tackle an FPS epic on a tiny screen and with clumsy controls... even angrybirds suffers from a lack of control finesse due to 'Fat Finger Syndrome'

How does the heirachy of fidelity of control go? Mouse/Keyboard > Gamepad > Motion > Touch?
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 10:51   #9
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD
It will always be mostly casual. Hard to be immersed if your standing in a rainy bus stop on a cold, windy autumn night.
yeah thats all well and good now but what about when a tablet becomes so powerful it is essentially your home machine when you get home you dock it to your mouse / keyboard to do all the more intricate controls

when you are on the move you take your tablet with you and perform asset management (take WOW for example at home you run around Raiding whilst on the move you manage your auction house items or guild functions)

what about football manager this is not a casual Game yet any reason why this is not availible yet on a tablet / phone (other than development time), no reason why that cannot be played with touch whilst on the bus. (hell you could even challenge the bloke sitting next to you if you had 10 minutes)

we must remember all the old quotes, '128k is enough for everyone', i see a world in which there might be a use for maybe 5 computers etc etc

one day we will have 100meg wireless internet where ever we walk there is no reason that mobile gaming will always be casual (although casual gaming will always exist)
Old 1st Jun 2011, 11:30   #10
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Has anyone noticed that as soon as the DS and mainly the PSP started touting great graphics and full games ie. COD, GTA thats when they started to flop. It was games like tetris, pong etc that you could play in 5 mins while waiting around. Simple yet addictive. How many people do speed runs of GTA on the bus to beat a high score? It feels like a slog. Mobile gaming is all about quick snappy 5min games that are pick up and play but as soon as you need to go it can be put down without feeling like you wasted the last 15mins. I don't want to start through a race only to quit on the last lap cause I ran out of time. On the flip side there is a place for full featured games but when those games become your only draw, you've lost the portable market. I don't feel like iOS or Android have created a new golden age, rather re-discovered the formula for the old one. We live in the age of regenerating health, big cinematics (taking control away from the user), unlimited lives and generic copy paste programming. People complain consoles hold back games but its just a new generation of gamers (an age group that couldn't hold their own head up during the 8-bit era) who don't know what made games great. They missed that evolution and its these portable devices that show what makes portable games what they where in the 90's. It was the simple concept, that was addictive yet challenging that didn't offer everything on a silver plate. Who remembers completing sonic in one sitting where you fail you start again from the start of the game never mind the level? Returning to that would be a huge backwards step since we have so many tools available but gunsmith has the right idea with crysis ironman. Nuke the save if you die, It makes the game so much more exciting. You certainly feel you've earned something. Half life 2 was great for the same reasons, no regen health, check points well spaced, enough health and ammo, physics puzzles are great tools.
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 11:31   #11
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
It really pains me to say this but if Apple developed the next generation of Ipod/phones with a controller specifically built for those devices in mind they would quickly dominate the mobile game space. Not just the casuals but a lot of the more core gamers as well.
Sony Ericsson tried this (and apparently are failing hard) but their attempt was lackluster and hugely overpriced.
Sony has the NGP too worry about and as such can't release something that could compete with it. If they had any sense they would buy up the last part of SE and iterate on that design yearly until by the 3rd gen or so it was an NGP, but that won't happen.

Microsoft is another one that could do it as unlike Sony they don't have a mobile game system so windows phone could (and probably will) be their entry into the market. However they have other things too iron out first on that platform before making it into a proper gaming device with buttons.

Apple is the biggest threat right now as people just buy their stuff. The ipad would have failed so hard had it been released by anyone else but offered the same (lack of) functionality. People bought one not even knowing what they would use it for! Hence why I, reluctantly, think they could sweep the board clean.
New Ipod/phone, with additional and optional slick gaming controller = WIN!
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 11:34   #12
Stelph
Multimodder

Stelph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
[QUOTE=yakyb]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD
what about football manager this is not a casual Game yet any reason why this is not availible yet on a tablet / phone (other than development time), no reason why that cannot be played with touch whilst on the bus. (hell you could even challenge the bloke sitting next to you if you had 10 minutes)
[QUOTE]

Although I agree totally with your comments (smartphones/tablets will become even more essential parts of our lives) I just wanted to point out that Championship Manager has been out for the iPhone for a while

http://www.championshipmanager.co.uk/iphone
Stelph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 11:35   #13
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
runadumb, there are third-party stick on 'nubs' that make controlling touchscreens a lot easier - and they cost very little. Apple won't do a controller, because it would ruin the looks of the device - and to Apple that's as important as the function.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 11:49   #14
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei
runadumb, there are third-party stick on 'nubs' that make controlling touchscreens a lot easier - and they cost very little. Apple won't do a controller, because it would ruin the looks of the device - and to Apple that's as important as the function.
i actually bought an Icontrolpad at easter for my Nexus one and loved it so much I bought an Xperia play on Ebay at the weekend (hasn't arrived yet). A device that whenever I found out it's final spec hugely disappointed me. A device I have slagged rotten all over the internets...yet I ordered one because I love gaming on my phone so much. it also helps that ebay has them "realistically" priced

ps Zelda on the snes is still a bloody good game. Now I won't have too constantly reconnect the ICp whenever I leave a game. Just flip open the phone, touch a few icon and I'm right back where I left off Already ordered a spare battery.
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 13:34   #15
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
Just a personal view and I'm sure loads of people will tell me how wrong I am, but the badge 'gamer' is getting used far too much, just because someone plays angry birds on their mobile while waiting for a bus does not make them a 'gamer', it just means their killing time.
Grumble over.

I just hope that the traditional games market doesn't suffer as a result of developers seeing a new cash cow.
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 13:54   #16
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I am anti-apple and anti-google so fingers crossed the WinPho7 gets alot of game dev's onboard as I am very likely to pic up the next gen WinPho7 device from either HTC or Nokia.
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 14:45   #17
chrisb2e9
Dont do that...

chrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysis
Quote:
Itís also no big surprise that the massively popular Angry Birds is seeing a number of imitators
What I find amusing is that angry birds isn't exactly an original game in itself!
Old 1st Jun 2011, 14:47   #18
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I don't quite know that we are in a Golden Age, but mobile gaming is certainly exploding in a way that it never did when we were limited to Palm equivelent devices, Gameboys and slightly later Playstation portables.

I am very, very anti-Apple. I hate the general ethos that has permeated the company for a long time. However, I have to say, they generally make a nice (if over priced) product. Now if it wasn't so locked down and if the company attitude wasn't arogant and restrictive it might not be so bad. I'll admit I got an iPad 2 as a birthday gift last week (totally out of the blue unexpected) and at first I wanted to hate it, especially because I was eyeing up a Transformer or Iconia. I just can't hate it though. There are many things I can't do with it that I wish I could (at least short of jail breaking and even then maybe not), but it does 95% of what I need a portable device to do really well.

A Mac would never, ever work for me for a PC (and not just because gaming would be very limited without booting to Windows). It just plain wouldn't, but I have to say, for a tablet, the iPad really does just work and works well.

All that said, I do really hope MS can come up with a good tablet OS that is closely linked and interoperable with Windows on the desktop/laptop. Especially application interoperablity. Maybe in a couple years I'll be looking at an Wintel tablet come a couple generations down the road of Atom and the upcoming Windows tablet OS.

One can hope at any rate. Until then I'll continue my love hate relationship with this iPad thingy (certainly, for now, more App options than on Android).
Old 1st Jun 2011, 15:22   #19
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I don't really like playing most of the games available for mobile devices, as I do prefer controllers to play games with. Be it wheels for racing, mouse+keyboard for FPS and RPG or joypads for sports and arcade.

Where I totally can see touchscreen working better then the other controllers is RTS like C&C, AOE etc. that would be totally awesome on a tablet with high enough resolution (i.e. atleast 1280x1024) to have enough room for the interface in addition to the rest.

Look at those playing Starcraft 2 on desktop-touchscreens and it's just so intuitive to play these kind of titles on a touchscreen.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 15:25   #20
Bede
Ultramodder

Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
iOS games are a step back in every sense for gaming. The hardware is more limited than a Wii, has less intuitive controls than a PS3 and no online community to speak of. Yes there is 'freedom' in limited hardware, meaning devs do not have to spend ages making beautiful levels and thus we avoid the Final Fantasy XII problem. However, indie devs cannot create something as beautiful as Trine (though that would translate well to touch screen I think) or exciting as Interstellar Marine. Instead you get nice-but-trite games like Angry Birds which have been found on flash games sites for a decade. There is no golden age in iOS, only stagnation.
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced (white edition) | i5-2500K | MSI P67-GD53 | MSI GTX580 | 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 1.5V | Gelid Tranquillo | Asus Xonar DS | 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro M | Corsair Force Series 3 60GB | Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Bede is offline   Reply With Quote