bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 2nd Feb 2012, 12:18   #141
uerseya
Covered in rockwool dust.

uerseya has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland216 View Post
Thanks! I thought about colored Carbon Fiber, though, at like $100 a yard or close to it, it was just to expensive. Colored Kevlar can be just as expensive at regular 2x2 twill CF, so it wouldn't make a cheap middle reinforcement layer imho. That is awesome you work with CF. I'm trying to raise awareness of CF to the community here and the different ways to work with it.
Agreed the Kevlar stuff is expenisve, tho' different in a nice way, IIRC some people I knew tried dying normal CF and/or silk screening colours onto it before adding resin.

One downside of CF is CF splinters real PITA to get out
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 23:54   #142
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Oh wow this one flew right past my radar, a true stealth project in every sense .

Truly awesome stuff Cleveland216 I now follow keenly. stars & rep

Again WOW

Last edited by Waynio; 3rd Feb 2012 at 00:08.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 14:19   #143
Vo0Ds
Fake potato

Vo0Ds has yet to learn the way of the DremelVo0Ds has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
FECK.
Don't know how I missed this, that's an incredible amount of effort and skill so far Can't wait to see more!

Masara: i5 2500@4.2Ghz | Asus P8P67LE | EVGA GTX460SC | 8Gb Corsair 1600 | 1TB WD-C BLACK | Fractal R3 | LG 23" IPS
LEGO Ghetto HTPC: Broken-ass laptop pulled apart, now a HTPC... made of LEGO. UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Vo0Ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2012, 15:22   #144
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Cleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
Oh wow this one flew right past my radar, a true stealth project in every sense .

Truly awesome stuff Cleveland216 I now follow keenly. stars & rep

Again WOW
Your a great modder! Thank you bro for the compliment. I working hard on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vo0Ds View Post
FECK.
Don't know how I missed this, that's an incredible amount of effort and skill so far Can't wait to see more!
Thank you! Jus trying to raise awareness of Carbon Fiber more!~
Cleveland216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2012, 16:54   #145
bagman
I Mod, Therefore I Own

bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
That looks incredible.
Old 4th Feb 2012, 18:37   #146
DoOb's
Overclocker/Modder

DoOb's has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
D A M thats amazing !!! ^^^^!!! on page 6 Well done
Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge - 3.4ghz//MSI P67A GD80(B3)//8gigs Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600//Antec TruePower Trio 650WATT//Seagate 320gig SATA2//Seagate 500gig SATA2//Kingston 128gig SSDNOW V100 SATA2//Samsung 1TB x 2 SATA2//CM Stacker 810// Watercooling
Project : Infinity CM Stacker
DoOb's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2012, 20:33   #147
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Jus trying to raise awareness of Carbon Fiber more!~
Nice, & doing it on a grand scale too much vinyl not enough real, I'd like to have a go at it myself some time.

The alu piece you made for the mould was a huge project in itself but seeing that perfect CF piece looks well worth the huge effort mate.

Still can't believe I only just seen this.

I wondered who it were who did the Aelro Dynamic, didn't catch it on the forum but sure remember seeing the article, very different, complex & awesome looking rig.
Old 7th Feb 2012, 12:02   #148
xSoMBrAx
Supermodder

xSoMBrAx has yet to learn the way of the DremelxSoMBrAx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My eyes couldn't handle all the awesomeness contained in this log so I had to take them out, now It's my wife that is typing not me...

Follow me on Facebook!
xSoMBrAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2012, 20:57   #149
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

This is definitely catching a vote from me.
Old 7th Feb 2012, 21:37   #150
Angel OD
Pump Killer

Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
You are not the only one with that idea!
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=207889 - Motm nominee
The Theory of Everything http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=219504 - Motm WINNER!
Angel OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2012, 22:09   #151
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Cleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Nice, & doing it on a grand scale too much vinyl not enough real, I'd like to have a go at it myself some time.

The alu piece you made for the mould was a huge project in itself but seeing that perfect CF piece looks well worth the huge effort mate.

Still can't believe I only just seen this.

I wondered who it were who did the Aelro Dynamic, didn't catch it on the forum but sure remember seeing the article, very different, complex & awesome looking rig.
Those f'in Aluminium covers took forever, I swear! Than I had to rip them out of the molds, argh, oh well, I knew it was going to happen.

Do you want a Cost Tally of the build so fa, lolz r

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSoMBrAx View Post
My eyes couldn't handle all the awesomeness contained in this log so I had to take them out, now It's my wife that is typing not me...
I got a great laugh out of this! Thank you for the support, it means alot!

Quote:
Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel OD View Post
You are not the only one with that idea!
Thanks for the support!

The competition is really good this month! Every modder is putting in their own hard work in each of these builds. Good Luck to all of them!
Old 7th Feb 2012, 22:24   #152
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

So true but I got to a point last year where I was voting for them all sometimes with liking them all in 1 way or another so I'm making an effort to pick a number 1 each month from now, harsh but I think it's right.
Old 8th Feb 2012, 00:00   #153
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
If Waynio is only picking one, then I'm only picking... ah crap, I already picked 2

I would agree it's often hard to pick just one, there are very few mods on here that I don't like

SR-X got one of my 2 votes as well this is awesome (and REAL carbon fiber, I was starting to get sick of vinyl....)
Mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2012, 07:43   #154
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Quote:
Do you want a Cost Tally of the build so fa, lolz r
Nah, try to bury it deep in your mind mate, it only hurts thinking about costs & hurts even more saying it out loud.

But it looks worth the effort & cost.
Old 8th Feb 2012, 08:22   #155
bugeye
Sleep Deprived

bugeye has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbugeye has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbugeye has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So impressive and original in so many ways

I've had a go at grp and carbon in the past so know how difficult it is to get it from sort of looking ok to yep thats good . I must admit the infusion thing was new to me but it seems to work so well

You'd get my vote but I'm note sure it's polite to vote if you're nominated
bugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2012, 10:41   #156
matiss
Multimodder

matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.
Watching from the start and it gets better and better every time i look here. Gratz for MOTM nominee.

Still reminds me of a mix from a f117 and a sr-71 so better not kill the mold afterwards, im sure with only minimal modification that will be a rc jet plane.

Wouldnt it be for the power you could put a pc inside a rc jet plane...maybe with a mini itx and good batteries ...nah...no one would be so crazy ...but thinking of beeing in the bit-tech forum...hell yeah someone would
matiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2012, 11:45   #157
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post
That looks incredible.
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoOb's View Post
D A M thats amazing !!! ^^^^!!! on page 6 Well done
Thank You for the support!

Quote:
So true but I got to a point last year where I was voting for them all sometimes with liking them all in 1 way or another so I'm making an effort to pick a number 1 each month from now, harsh but I think it's right.
Selecting just one can be difficult, I agree. I would recommend that people pick off originality or some element in their case that is truly original. It is these ideas that propel the modding community forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
If Waynio is only picking one, then I'm only picking... ah crap, I already picked 2

I would agree it's often hard to pick just one, there are very few mods on here that I don't like

SR-X got one of my 2 votes as well this is awesome (and REAL carbon fiber, I was starting to get sick of vinyl....)
Wow, thanks for the support! The real carbon fiber is really awesome from a weight standpoint more than anything. I think CF will start to be used more and more in the years to come. As the price will eventually drop more and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
So impressive and original in so many ways

I've had a go at grp and carbon in the past so know how difficult it is to get it from sort of looking ok to yep thats good . I must admit the infusion thing was new to me but it seems to work so well

You'd get my vote but I'm note sure it's polite to vote if you're nominated
Thank you for the support! I agree, it can be tricky to keep the weave in align or at least looking aligned properly. I dont want to say that it is really hard, it just takes practice at first before you become better at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matiss View Post
Watching from the start and it gets better and better every time i look here. Gratz for MOTM nominee.

Still reminds me of a mix from a f117 and a sr-71 so better not kill the mold afterwards, im sure with only minimal modification that will be a rc jet plane.

Wouldnt it be for the power you could put a pc inside a rc jet plane...maybe with a mini itx and good batteries ...nah...no one would be so crazy ...but thinking of beeing in the bit-tech forum...hell yeah someone would
Thanks for the support! SR-X represents a mix between a B-2 and SR-71. A delta wing design with emphasis on two HUGE engine compartments. I'll talk about this more as the build nears completion.

The molds themselves represent thousand(s) of dollars in technology. I say that because if a company made these, i.e. Boeing, they would consider these molds technology. The molds represent a inherient function or there to function. Once the build is put together it would be considered a technological platform. Now I know I'm getting down the nitty griddy here, though, this whole build could be possibly patented, that is why I say technology also.

To make this an RC plane, the engine compartments would have to be layered with a titanium foil due to heat emission. Since this SR-X incorporates above wing intakes, a de-icing system would have to be installed on the air intakes due to possible condensation as the air compresses above the wing at the intakes. A glyochol system that consisting on a tank with hoses leading to an exchanger that could be implemented in an air-intake grill covering i would say would work. Ya I have thought about what it would take to make SR-X fly
Old 8th Feb 2012, 22:43   #158
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Resin Trap

Hello. My thanks once again goes out to the modding community in the support for this build. Update time.......

I had to re-figure a Resin Trap for my infusion setup. The PVC ones that I was building were getting ravaged due to the crystallization process by the infusion resin. The resin heats up to almost 200F when it is setting up to cure. This is actually the curing process itself, though, it doesnt stay this temperature the whole 24 hours. The PVC tubing was just melting and buckling under the heat. So....time for Aluminium!!

Here is the Alum Tank. I salvaged this out of the scrap bin. It is used actually for marinating food in. It will due for me. Plus I wont have to worry about over filling the trap with resin.

I had some .090 6061 Alum laying around that was left over from the Aelro build. I cut out this round piece to be used as the cover. Drilled some holes and taped them. Than I had some 90 degree stock layin around and had it welded on the backside for support.

This is weatherstrip for a garage doors that I bought at Home Depot, it works as a seal!!

Lastly, I got in my 8 yards of Carbon Fiber to finish the bottom piece and rest of the frame. There is another story behind this, that I will share in the next update!
Old 11th Feb 2012, 13:25   #159
wahoomcdaniel
Multimodder

wahoomcdaniel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Pics need sorted out, Cleveland.
wahoomcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2012, 17:27   #160
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoomcdaniel View Post
Pics need sorted out, Cleveland.
If you are referencing to the current problem, I have exceeded my bandwith allowed for the month, the pics will be re-activated on 14th.

Tags
carbon fiber, de-molding, gelcoat, molding, vacuum resin infusion

View Mode