bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 11th Feb 2012, 18:54   #161
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Can't believe I missed this. Good thing the MOTM voting thread popped up today.

Awesome work Cleveland
Old 11th Feb 2012, 19:52   #162
peteski
long live the pc

peteski has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
just seen this so roll on the 14th
Old 14th Feb 2012, 02:42   #163
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Cleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Infusion Part 2: Failure than Success

Hello! There is a back story here that I must tell. One of FAILURE!! Resin Infusion is not an easy process or for the light-hearted nor does its mistakes come cheap. Before I infused the top cover as recently logged, my first try was infusing the bottom mold. After weeks of preparation and thought, I went thru the set-up of the mold to infuse it.

After all I studied and consulted about, I thought my flow layout was good and that the Carbon Fiber was making contact all the way around the mold. It turns out that the CF was bridging in corners and that the flow layout would not reach the very corners.

Which resulted in a FAILED infusion process.

If you look closely you will see all sorts of lumps and unevenness. As the CF was infusing the resin flow would not reach the corners resulting in fabric that was not impregnated. There was nothing that I could do, infusion once started cannot be corrected if there is an error.

After the CF cured I pulled it out of the mold and found pools of resin in the mold from where the CF was bridging, which was causing the resin to pool due to no-contact there with the mold in that spot.

So I moved on to the Top Mold and was left chiseling and re-sanding the entire bottom mold.

In the end, the first infusion process ended up costing me ~$300.00 in material. I never figured out the exact cost.

Well time to get to the bottom mold again and the infusing the lower cover.

Infusion Lower Cover: Part 1

First thing I did was Wax the entire mold 9 times with Partall Wax #2. This acts as the release agent in the mold.

Secondly, as you see below, after waxing, I applied the double-sided yellow tape that seals the mold for infusion. It seals the nylon vac bag to the mold.

Once again, I went around the entire mold and reinforced the corners with extra pieces. You peel the top off when you go to apply the vac. bag.

First layer of the Carbon Fiber. Before I laid this layer in I did spray over the mold with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. I was about 3 feet away from the mold when I did the spraying, so to let the mist float down onto the mold. To much spray and the CF wont release.

First layer cut

Second layer after cutting

The third layer again is strips of fiberglass cloth. I found strips to be easier to apply than one whole layer due to the complex geometry. Supposedly, fiberglass cant be laid down as tight as CF can.

Fiberglass layer complete

Flow lines with peel-ply and green flow media laid down. Now to just put in pleats along with the vac. bag and begin the infusion.

That is tomorrow. Stay Tuned.
Cleveland216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2012, 03:48   #164
motorsportcfd
Multimodder

motorsportcfd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good luck with this one! Hate to see the first pull didn't work well, but glad I am not the only one that doesn't get perfect pulls every time! Hope this one works out!
motorsportcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2012, 07:20   #165
ASPHIAX
Beyond Complexity Lies Simplicity

ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Even negative results are results! Finding out what not to do is almost as important as finding what to do. I went for a mold fabrication for the eurisko also, but had to abondon it because the spray release agent i had didnt function (or i applied it to light) its a real trick to do this porperly but it looks you are good one your way! Good luck man !
W. www.ModWithMe.com
FB. https://www.facebook.com/ModWithMe
ASPHIAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2012, 11:39   #166
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Cleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quick Update: Here is the first video I took of the infusion of the lower cover

Here is the link:

http://youtu.be/D-w0U74oma4
Old 15th Feb 2012, 14:16   #167
peteski
long live the pc

peteski has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
amazeing work mate
Old 15th Feb 2012, 19:27   #168
dream1
Multimodder

dream1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice video. Cant see the result
dream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2012, 19:44   #169
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
Not sure why that's so fun to watch, but it was, and I watched it all

Last edited by Mosquito; 16th Feb 2012 at 05:38. Reason: removed my youtube embed
Mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2012, 21:17   #170
J3!!3
What's a Dremel?

J3!!3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks realy different from what i have seen lately, realy cool idea. Keep up the good work.
J3!!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2012, 23:47   #171
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Infusion Part 2: De-Molding

Hello. It has been 24 hours and the lower cover has finally cured now it is time to Rip it out of the mold. Lets Begin!

Here is the first video of the infusion, I will be uploading a second video! Thanks Mosquito!

First thing is to shut the pump off! Than begin tearing away the all the top layers

Take out the infeed hoses

Grab at the nylon bag and just tear away.

Keep tearing away until the vac bag is completely off. The Yellow seal tape also has to come off as well before the part can be demolded.

Next is Rip off the peel ply layer. The peel ply will also rip off the green flow media. You can use a razor blade or knife and make smaller cut lines to rip the peel ply off in sections.

Lower Cover

Old 16th Feb 2012, 01:35   #172
wahoomcdaniel
Multimodder

wahoomcdaniel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very cool. It turned out great.
wahoomcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2012, 01:44   #173
motorsportcfd
Multimodder

Nice to see how much better this one turned out. Looks like a light coat of resin will fix some of those edges right up!
Old 16th Feb 2012, 05:39   #174
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
looks awesome!
Mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2012, 11:48   #175
AnG3L
Ultimate Modder

AnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run Crysis
A great amount of work brother and a fantastic dedication!!!! Mod on!
AnG3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2012, 12:08   #176
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoomcdaniel View Post
Very cool. It turned out great.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsportcfd View Post
Nice to see how much better this one turned out. Looks like a light coat of resin will fix some of those edges right up!
Ya, dont know if I am going to do that. I'll try a small spot and see how it turns out. I was just thinking about sanding it down. Let me know how you would do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
looks awesome!
Thanks bro! Great Thanks to fixing the video link

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnG3L View Post
A great amount of work brother and a fantastic dedication!!!! Mod on!
Thank you good sir!
Old 16th Feb 2012, 23:50   #177
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Update: Infusion Video 2 n more

Hello.

I did film a second infusion video and I uploaded it today.

The video demonstrates the complexity with doing resin infusion and various infeed lines that had to be used to complete the infusion itself.

Moving on.........

I have one more infusion to do for the frame pieces. I dont know how much area/material I need to make to accommodate all the frame pieces. I'm too lazy to figure it out in SolidWorks. So I took the internal frame apart and traced the pieces onto a piece of cardboard that would be the size of carbon fiber fabric that I would infuse. Neat Trick, I think!

All the pieces were traced twice, except the motherboard frame. Once the third infusion is done, I will get to work on cutting out the internal frame pieces and fabricating the bracketing to hold the covers onto the frame.
Old 17th Feb 2012, 03:48   #178
motorsportcfd
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland216 View Post
Ya, dont know if I am going to do that. I'll try a small spot and see how it turns out. I was just thinking about sanding it down. Let me know how you would do it
I would mix up a little bit of resin and fill in the areas. Since you're resin is about 300cps (mine is 600cps after mixing) I would let it start to kick a little bit (just to make it more viscous), then brush it on those areas. Brush on enough that you have something to sand.

If you just sand those areas you'll kill the weave by directly sanding the carbon. Experience has shown before it's best to fill the area with resin and sand it down. That's exactly what I did with my mouse before clearing it. If you don't fill the areas with resin, any clear coat will seep under the resin into through the molecular structure and make a haze. This has happened to me before and ruined some high end parts.

In short, brush-on some resin, and sand, just like a normal layup.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions!

PS: Saw your question in my thread about polishing, I'm working on pictures for the reply.
Old 18th Feb 2012, 21:15   #179
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Infusion: Frame

Hello. When I first started the build I originally intended to have an Aluminium frame structure for the interior. That changed when I found out that I had enough left over material to make the entire frame out of carbon fiber. Plus I also said what the heck why not. Let SR-X be an all carbon fiber build.

Today, I finally started what I thought was going to be my last infusion. Here is how the process started out once again.

Flat whiteboard from Home Depot. Wax 7 times, thick coats. Applied the yellow seal tape. Than sprayed with 3M Super 77.

The first layer of carbon fiber

two more layers of carbon fiber later and first layer of fiberglass.

I cross-hatched the fiberglass for additional strength and rigidity.

the 6th layer. this would be the fourth layer of carbon fiber

Applied my tubing and vac. bag. I kept the flow pattern simple. One infeed inlet and one outfeed outlet with spiral wrap to help the distribute the flow.

Poured the Resin and just waiting for hardener.

Got a good -30bar on the infusion piece

Started my infusion and it stopped two-thirds of the way. Ugh! It is a bad thing and a good thing.

Bad thing cause if it would have made it to 50" I would have been happy. Now I have to order more resin and do another infusion. Good Thing, because the only material I really lost was resin in the end. The material that didn't get impregnated can still be used. Just more and more work. I still have alot of carbon fiber still left over too.

While we are on the subject of failures and not, here is some more pics of my failed lower cover again.

I should put "I got Owned" on these pictures, lolz.

I did also shoot some video of this infusion so when I upload it, I will link it.
Old 19th Feb 2012, 19:56   #180
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Update: Infusion Frame complete

Hello. Time for another weekend update.

During the last 24 hours the carbon fiber piece that was started yesterday has finally cured. Time to de-mold the product.

Ripped off the vac bag and starting peeling back the peel ply and such until finally most of it came off.

Here is the piece turned over. I cut out the loose fabric on the other end.

Looks pretty good. I got infusion of flat pieces down real good now. This piece just has to be cleaned and polished up.

The section of fabric that did not get impregnated. Oh well.

The surprise is that I traced all my pieces and I have enough to make the whole frame. I hope you can all see the traced pieces in these photos. So for now there will be no other infusion.

Now I have to get down to cutting out the frame pieces and re-bolting the frame together, than onto bracketing and making the custom res. for SR-X.

Tags
carbon fiber, de-molding, gelcoat, molding, vacuum resin infusion

View Mode