bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Jun 2011, 12:05   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sony Pictures hacked

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...tures-hacked/1
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 12:10   #2
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I guess now it's fashion among the hackers to hit sony's arse...
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 12:11   #3
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
why did this post vanish from the front page?
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 12:12   #4
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpaca
why did this post vanish from the front page?
...it didn't?
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 12:13   #5
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
...it didn't?
oh no sorry, my bad, it just got moved from the news section to the main articles section. my apologies.
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 12:41   #6
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Heard about this on the news this morning. It's amazing that a company of this size hasn't taken simple steps to secure users data. Reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Bart gets electrocuted every time he touches a certain cupcake. Will they ever learn?
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 12:43   #7
cgthomas
Cpt. Handsome

cgthomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Who else wants to sign up to the 2011 Sonympics?
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 12:51   #8
Captain Awesome
Minimodder

Captain Awesome has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They asked for it, ey? Do you rape a girl just because she dresses slutty?
In my opinion this is beginning to become stupid. The hackers don't give Sony a chance to improve before they strike them again. How are you supposed to get up if you keep getting kicked down?
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 13:05   #9
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome
In my opinion this is beginning to become stupid. The hackers don't give Sony a chance to improve before they strike them again. How are you supposed to get up if you keep getting kicked down?
So we should give the massive tech company, with limitless resources, the benefit of the doubt for failing to adequately protect it's customers' details? Really?

I'm no fan of these large hacking groups, but they have at least highlighted just how lax and irresponsible Sony have been.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 13:12   #10
west
Minimodder

west has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
They did ask for it.
As a costumer you expect that your private information will be at least encrypted.
There is an expectation of some kind of protection.
Without at least that how could you confidently give any financial or even personal information to companies?
Data privacy is a part of there service and they are ripping you off if they can't even manage that (in my opinion).
For a company this size there is no excuse.
Just be glad that Sony was not hacked by truly malicious people who might have done much worse with that or other information.
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 13:15   #11
Fizzl
Multimodder

Fizzl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They probably don't have a good idea of how much is out there and what is exposed.

As they dodn't seem to have had a security stratergy there are probably hundreds of these random small sites set up by some guy in marketing that aren't maintained properly.
Fizzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 13:16   #12
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
The hackers don't give Sony a chance to improve before they strike them again. How are you supposed to get up if you keep getting kicked down?
Maybe by doing a proper security review after the first time they got hacked and keeping "at risk" or poorly secured systems off line until until they can be secured.
Given the recent spate of attacks on Sony, keeping passwords in plain text was just looking for trouble, switch it off if you cant keep it secure.
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 13:16   #13
Grape Flavor
Multimodder

Grape Flavor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Yeah, really. Will these kids just go away already. All their statements reek of flimsy rationalization to me. It's one thing to be a complete dick, and another to act all high and mighty about doing so. Infuriating.

This really is cyber terrorism, folks. Fear and intimidation used to coerce (companies, in this case) into their agenda. A vigilante group making all sorts of broad political demands and choosing to wreak havoc and destruction in ostensible support of those ends. We're even seeing the classic "fight them" vs. "appeasement" debate played out over the internet.

To me, it doesn't matter if you think Sony is evil. Just like it doesn't matter if you think Western society is decadent and our Middle East policy is screwed up. There are acceptable means of protest and then there's terrorism. And just because in this case they're not physically harming anyone doesn't mean it's okay.
Grape Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 13:16   #14
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As someone that doesn't own/care about any Sony products, this whole saga amuses me.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 13:17   #15
Showerhead
Ultramodder

Showerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run Crysis
Did they not learn from the first time to encrypt the users data?
Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 13:19   #16
Grape Flavor
Multimodder

Grape Flavor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspoon View Post
Maybe by doing a proper security review after the first time they got hacked and keeping "at risk" or poorly secured systems off line until until they can be secured.
Given the recent spate of attacks on Sony, keeping passwords in plain text was just looking for trouble, switch it off if you cant keep it secure.
I don't think anyone is saying Sony has had ideal, or even acceptable security. These people though are actually trying to make the argument that if the vault doors weren't sturdy enough it's perfectly okay to stroll in and steal what you want. I reject that.
Grape Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 13:20   #17
von_stylon
uber micro

von_stylon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Get it right first time?
von_stylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 13:23   #18
west
Minimodder

west has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Flavor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspoon View Post
I don't think anyone is saying Sony has had ideal, or even acceptable security. These people though are actually trying to make the argument that if the vault doors weren't sturdy enough it's perfectly okay to stroll in and steal what you want. I reject that.
The fact that the act of hacking or stealing is immoral does not negate the responsibility of these companies to protect this data.
Just because the rain storm was not your fault or intention does not negate the need to shut your windows.
There will always be hackers and people who would do immoral things. To ignore this and to justify a lack of security in this way is just foolish.
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 13:27   #19
Bungletron
Hypermodder

Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Your crude analogy is rather misleading, of course you should avoid criminal activity of any kind, however once you are aware of an issue then why not take steps to mitigate just in case? The hack is criminal, yes, however the mentality of the criminal is to go for the easy take down, you must conclude the reason Sony is being reported as being breached again is because compared to others it is possible.

Over a month ago it became clear, Sony does not encrypt sensitive data and has particularly weak network security on at least one of its networks. This failure should act as a stimulus to secure any other system that behavess like this immediately, Sony should take action but it will send shockwaves through the industry, everyone will be scrutinising their security. Scroll to today, a security breach has occured at Sony with entirely the same hallmarks, the passwords are unecrypted and out in the open, why wasn't this changed? The mind boggles.
Bungletron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 13:28   #20
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Tbh, it's been over a month since the first attack. Though they are trying to make the Playstation network secure, they obviously didn't take into account other sections of the company would also be at risk. it doesn't take long for a good programmer to encrypt passwords. Doesn't take a month for a monkey to do it either. (citation needed)

I just hope other companies are learning from Sony's mistake and bolt all the doors shut on their systems.
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote