1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Antec shows off P280 prototype

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 3 Jun 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Do want.

3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Shame there's no built in mounts for 2.5" SSD's.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Antec - the story of the company who screwed up their own core business with bad decisions.

Seriously. This is not Performance One series case. This is P-LanBoy. With this design change, it will be just one another case from some case manufacturer.

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Expand. What are you talking about?!

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Really? Just use an adaptor, like everyone else does. What is the advantage of a dedicated 2.5" mount in a full sized case? OK in a SFF case I can see the benefit, but there's not exactly a shortage of space in this thing!

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It's a bit more 'random angles' than the old P180, though. :(

The P180 wasn't 'triple layer' in a lot of places, either. The bottom was bare metal, the top was metal with a bit of plastic stuck on it with what amounted to Copydex, and the front was the traditional bare metal with plastic moulding popped on.

Having said that, if it fits the hardware I want inside it, keeps all the bits cool and is quiet while doing that, I'll be tempted.

8. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

That looks sweet. If it follows on the pedigree of the P180 then this will probably house my sandy bridge system (damned rent getting in the way so far lol). Hopefully I'll have my new job by then.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Expand ? What ?

1) NSK, ISK, Fusion, Skeleton, x Hundred series is OK for what it is. Some older cases are OK too.
    2) P183 is a screwed up version of P182, because of those front openings. But it sort of acceptable.
    3) When i first saw P193 my first reaction was "what the hell are they drinking, this is not a race car which needs extra wings". Yes, i talk about that thing on the side.
    4) Sonata IV and Elite. Seriously ? The holes on the sides are horrible.
    5) Lanboy Air is again in the "what the hell are they drinking" category. My feelings are best described by this Mod Men episode :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d55Qsxcogb8#t=0m52s
    6) Dark Fleet - the only expression which can describe this series is "WTF".

In my opinion the last good ATX/mATX cases released by Antec were P182, Solo and Fusion Remote/Max. Since then, it's going downhill.

Or you mean the "P-Lanboy" comment ? Perfomance One series cases are quality products. Plastic hard drive holders ? Plastic and screwless 5,25" device mount ?
    What is the point of having sound insulated side panels and front door, when you let all the noise escape through top fan mounts ? The difference between sound going out at back and at top is extreme.
    PS: I hope the orange stuff is just because it's prototype.

10. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Gross.

Fractal Design Cheesecake!

11. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Actually, i think there's provision for two at the top of the hdd caddies. Take a look on hexus, they've a quick video peek of this case.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

agree!

This is no successor to P1, this is a successor to Lanboy with covered up parts.

Isolated areas, and ability to use super long graphics cards (600T approach when not isolated bays).

13. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

The price seems good, but to me it just looks like another R3. We'll see.

14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

You DO know that, if anything, the R3 is a P18x rip-off?

That being said, the P280 looks just that bit too plasticky, although it's still better looking than most cases out there. What irks me are the new drive bays. I really liked the removable compartments in the P18x.

I'm wondering how the SPCR crowd will take to this updated version, though.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2011
  15. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

I kinda like it!

I wouldn't normally dig it, but this looks kinda nice. Will keep my eyes on that one.

16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'd take a Fractal Define R3 instead.

However, Antec has still some good cases, like the ISK-100 or 300 for example, which is nice for low power miniITX-systems and the Antec Threehundred is still a real good budget-case at $50.

17. Technobod

Technobod Minimodder

Can't really say I'm loving the orange bits on the fan mounts, It just looks funny when they've bothered to colour match the interior but there isn't anything else orange...

18. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I know it's off topic, but I can't get onto the forums o_O I asked on Twitter to no avail. Can anyone tell me whats going on through this article, or through twitter at @dominicpybus

It just won't load the content, either on Safari or Firefox.

EDIT: I write this post, then suddenly I can get on easily..

Last edited: 4 Jun 2011
  19. leslie

leslie Just me!

Just re-release the P182 (matx tower edition as well?).
    That was such a great case.
    Make the frame aluminum and you have pure heaven (it was awfully heavy).

I agree though, they have sort of lost their way. This looks more like a fusion of the 1200, and P183. While I have a 300, I don't like the 1200 and it's ilk. I want clean lines on a case, not this angular stuff with fans showing all over or those stupid orange clips. I get it, it's tooless, but seriously, some of this stuff is going too far. Screws are good! Besides, it's not like I swap fans daily or anything so who cares if I have to undo a screw or 4 to change one.

20. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

IIRC the founder of SPCR was heavily involved in the design of the P180, wonder if this one went through the same process.

Tags: Add Tags