bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 7th Jun 2011, 17:49   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
AMD reintroduces FX processors

AMD has announced the reintroduction of the FX brand for high-performance processors at E3.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...x-processors/1

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2011, 17:53   #2
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
man, getting tired of waiting - they couldn't even release the same old processors with a change in processing methods and size to reduce power and increase overclocking - and if I thought of it - it's a no-brainer!
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2011, 17:57   #3
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
I know it's wishful thinking, but the idea that they're even aiming to corner an 'FX'-suitable market segment, considerate of customers who aren't interested in integrated graphics; is perhaps a positive indication of the capabilities of Bulldozer.

Does this mean that AMD feel they can actually take a bite out of Intel's enthusiast/gamer market with competitively-powerful FX CPUs?
I hope it does, and I hope they're right.
Old 7th Jun 2011, 18:06   #4
Technobod
Finally bought a desktop :D

Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm sorry, but did they start advertising their new CPU series before they'd even hired people to design it or something?

This is taking an absolute age!

[Weihrauch HW100S .22 + HW100KT .177 + HW97K .22][Hawke Panoramas 4x-12x x3]
Technobod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2011, 18:16   #5
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
"FX-branded products will be geared toward enthusiast PCs and HD entertainment aficionados"

WHAT? I get the first part, enthusiast PCs, fine. But HD entertainment aficionados? Do they mean HD video? An 8 core enthusiast grade processor should be massive overkill for this - if the cheapest, most basic CPU in the new line-up can't decode multiple 1080p streams simultaneously without breaking a sweat, they need to go back to the drawing board. Or by "HD entertainment aficionados" do they mean gamers / video / photo editing aficionados? In which case why not say gamers / video / photo editing aficionados?
Old 7th Jun 2011, 19:01   #6
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007
"FX-branded products will be geared toward enthusiast PCs and HD entertainment aficionados"

WHAT? I get the first part, enthusiast PCs, fine. But HD entertainment aficionados? Do they mean HD video? An 8 core enthusiast grade processor should be massive overkill for this - if the cheapest, most basic CPU in the new line-up can't decode multiple 1080p streams simultaneously without breaking a sweat, they need to go back to the drawing board. Or by "HD entertainment aficionados" do they mean gamers / video / photo editing aficionados? In which case why not say gamers / video / photo editing aficionados?
i think even VIA could make a single core cpu+gpu solution that could play HD video. i'm sure what amd meant is an entire HD experience, so with video, games, rendering, etc. if they really are talking about just video, then i agree with you.
Old 7th Jun 2011, 19:07   #7
MrJay
You are always where you want to be

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
Perhaps for people Ripping/Compiling/Encoding in HD? rather than people who want to watch HD...

HTPC Silverstone Milo - A4 -5300 APU Undervolted - Biostar HI-FI A85SC - 4GB Corsair Ram Overclocked to 1600mhz - 64GB Toshiba X-Gale SSD
MrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2011, 20:08   #8
OCJunkie
OC your Dremel too

OCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
^ Definitely, when they mention "HD" they're obviously referring to production & manipulation rather than simple playback...
Gaming: CM 690 II A / XFX Pro850 XXX / GB 990FXA-UD3 / X4 955BE @3.8GHz - Hyper 212+ / 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 / XFX HD 6950 2GB - Twin Turbo Pro / OCZ Agility 3 60GB / WD Black 640GB & Green 1TB / 3x Acer 23in @5760x1080 Eyefinity
Media: Ultra Aluminus / Corsair TX750 / GB MA790X-UD4 / X2 7750BE @3GHz - Freezer64 Pro / 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC 1066 / HD 4670 1GB / WD Blue 320GB + Green 1TB & 1.5TB / Samsung 40in HDTV / Samsung HW-C560S / Harmony 300
OCJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2011, 21:45   #9
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
fx cpus was for dual socket systems ?
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2011, 21:52   #10
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJunkie
^ Definitely, when they mention "HD" they're obviously referring to production & manipulation rather than simple playback...
Yep you're almost certainly right. I was just pointing out that "HD entertainment aficionados" is quite a deceptive way of putting it.
Old 7th Jun 2011, 22:00   #11
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Stop re-naming stuff AMD and just give us some new chips to buy already!!
I5-750 @ 4GHz - MSI P55-GD65 - 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX 680 2GB - 1 Western Digital Black 1TB - 2 Western Digital Green 2TB - 700W Silverstone PSU - H50 Water Cooling Unit - Win7 64-Bit - Logitech G400 - Cooler Master QuickFire Pro MX Brown - Steelseries Icemat V2 - Blue Microphone Snowball - Logitech C920 Webcam
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2011, 22:42   #12
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffie
Stop re-naming stuff AMD and just give us some new chips to buy already!!
Its not like AMD is alone on this... Intel did the same thing with the next gen i3, i5 and i7's
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2011, 22:52   #13
Ficky Pucker
Ultramodder

Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.

Ficky Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 00:54   #14
Skill3d
Multimodder

Skill3d has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficky Pucker
man I would just buy them for the boxes they come in :P
Skill3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 01:04   #15
Christopher N. Lew
Folding in memory of my father

Christopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for president
I don't care what they call the things, but I do want to be able to buy and run one! Come on AMD, or you'll find that the "Worlds first 8-core Desktop Processor" will be somebody else's.
Christopher N. Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 03:58   #16
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
goddamit Bindi.....I was expecting the annoucment to be the release of some bulldozer chips, not the reserection of a brand.... Oh well.

Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 11:26   #17
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by leexgx
fx cpus was for dual socket systems ?
Some later ones were (you're thinking of Quad FX I think) but the first range was of single-socket CPUs.

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 18:13   #18
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Saw the pic on AMD's facebook page. What they said about it I really don't care. The waiting is killing me and it starts to get annoying after a while. We want the chips ready to ship with its detected flaws fixed.

Me wants to cry
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 19:05   #19
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd223
man, getting tired of waiting - they couldn't even release the same old processors with a change in processing methods and size to reduce power and increase overclocking - and if I thought of it - it's a no-brainer!
Yeah that is called Llano. Process shrink + Integrated 6550 GPU = Llano APU. Llano supposedly features no new architecture other than what it took to integrate the equivelent to a 6550 on chip, its just a process shrink. Its only taken them 2+ years to do.

Intel is at least rumoring to be doing some minor architecture tweaks on Ivy Bridge when it is released (and some heavy modifications to the integrated GPU) in addition to not just a process shrink, but 3D transistors, all of this just a year after Sandy Bridge came out.

I am reserving judgement completely till I see what Llano and Bulldozer actually deliver, but from what it seems like Llano is going to target budget and casual gamers, and bulldozer is going to target budget workstation power users and cheap servers. Intel is going to have the users who need serious power, without heavy graphics and who don't want to pay for a discrete GPU and also users who already know they are going to pony up for a good discrete GPU and want/need the CPU processing power.

So basically again AMD is going to target the "low end" of most catagories (or at least that seems to be what their CPU and APUs are going to be able to handle). I want big competition between the two, because it can be pretty healthy, especially for us consumers, but what has me worried is that as process nodes shrink, chips become cheaper to manufacturer. Currently, at least pre-32nm, it was easy for AMD to produce processors that undercut Intel in the $ for performance catagory, even if the upper mid and high end processors just weren't nearly as fast, and clock for clock weren't nearly as fast. Now that process dies are shrinking, a $200 gap in chip price might well become $100 or $50 or less to go to a better performing Intel chip. Makes it harder for AMD to really capture the low and mid range of the market in anyway significant way if Intel chips that perform better only cost a very slight price premium.