1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo reveal Wii U specs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jun 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

Didn't someone post that it was running off a Ati HD 2xxx chip (or something similar)

3. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

What about the controller screen resolution?

4. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I wonder if they've even finalised the spec yet. Anyway, good to see external HDD being allowed. That makes it a lot cheaper to 1) Buy the console and 2) Not have to pay for overpriced proprietary crap e.g. 360 hdd's.

5. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

The original, perhaps.

Surely this must have something a little beefier - outputting to 1920 * 1080 at a 24fps minimum?

Good choice on the CPU/GPU combo methinks, in my mind at least - the similarity of hardware compared to the 360 ought to mean titles will be readily available - even if they don't take full advantage of the Wii peripherals.

I'm curious about the drive media. - anyone have any further information?

TSB

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

DVD/Bluray compatible?

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

doesnt look like it

8. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

me thinks the hardware hasn't been actual laid down yet....

would like to see details of the CPU & GPU

9. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Thought the rumour was its a rv700 chip sitting around the same speed as a 4870?

10. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

The only important piece of detail is CPU and GFX ... and they haven't revealed it yet, bah!

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Nintendo: I don't have thumbs long enough to reach into the middle of a 6.2-inch touch screen. Are you expecting me to hold that huge controller in one hand while I tap on the screen with the other?

12. DbD

DbD Minimodder

The fact that it's hand held suggests it runs of battery which means very low power usage. Particularly if you want to use it for a while it'll have to be very light (meaning no heavy battery in there) and not get too hot to hold (meaning even 5W is too much). IBM cpu + 4870 ATI graphics sounds highly unlikely to me. We are talking nvidia tegra 3 or equivelent cpu + graphics.

Still don't quite get how it's meant to be used - do you use it alone and sometimes plug into tv for playing same game on big screen - in which case surely having cables snaking out of it going to your tv/hifi is going to be irritating.

Are you meant to game with mulitiple consoles (one per player) or multiple controllers (like the Wii).
    What about 4 player Wii style gaming - does that require you use it like a Wii, in which case what's the point of having a console that's got a built in tv/controller?

13. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

How many times!? The controller doesn't do any processing - the Wii base unit does, and pushes the video to the controller.

14. Spuzzell

Spuzzell What's a Dremel?

@DbD

THE CONTROLLER IS NOT THE F**KING CONSOLE ITS THE CONTROLLER.

Ahem. The console sits under the TV as usual.

15. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

This is the contoller. Not the core device. Nintendo weren't clear about that, but there is a new wii sized console, accompanied by this. The Wii U streams video to the controller.I think someone said over wifi.

Apparently its light enough to hold in one hand, and its only that size to accomadate the screen.

16. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Sorry but that is the most useless Spec list you could release....tells you absolutley nothing about its capabilities.

Oh how very typically Nintendo....

17. eddieuk1983

eddieuk1983 What's a Dremel?

18. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Just did a quick test with a book about 8" size which the entire controller block appears to be. My thumbs can just meet in the middle and I've got largish hands. Explain how this works in relation to Nintendos target market of children?

19. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Nintendo's target is everybody... they were kinda clear on that.

besides, I think it's mostly going to be using your hands to control the buttons, and you let go of one side to operate the screen if using any touch UI (like the DS - you don't really use the touchscreen and buttons simultaneously, aside from the occasional soft button right on the edges of the screen). The hands-on writeups I've read state it's very light - much lighter than an ipad 2, so I hope this will feel natural.

20. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

have a look at the engadget video of the console / controller being used with a TV. Nintendo made money of motion control - everyone else copied it, so they're trying something "new" again. At least they're trying to innovate - I can't seem to tell Playstation from XBox at the moment.

This market is about the interface / user experience isn't it? The games follow on after that...

Tags: Add Tags