bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Jun 2011, 09:56   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nintendo reveal Wii U specs

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-wii-u-specs/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:05   #2
warejon9
Multimodder

warejon9 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Didn't someone post that it was running off a Ati HD 2xxx chip (or something similar)
warejon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:12   #3
coolius
Multimodder

coolius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What about the controller screen resolution?
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64

coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:13   #4
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wonder if they've even finalised the spec yet. Anyway, good to see external HDD being allowed. That makes it a lot cheaper to 1) Buy the console and 2) Not have to pay for overpriced proprietary crap e.g. 360 hdd's.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:15   #5
TheStockBroker
King Battletoad

TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warejon9
Didn't someone post that it was running off a Ati HD 2xxx chip (or something similar)
The original, perhaps.

Surely this must have something a little beefier - outputting to 1920 * 1080 at a 24fps minimum?

Good choice on the CPU/GPU combo methinks, in my mind at least - the similarity of hardware compared to the 360 ought to mean titles will be readily available - even if they don't take full advantage of the Wii peripherals.

I'm curious about the drive media. - anyone have any further information?

TSB
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:15   #6
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
DVD/Bluray compatible?
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:22   #7
adam_bagpuss
Have you tried turning it off/on ?

adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
doesnt look like it
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:25   #8
cjoyce1980
Supermodder

cjoyce1980 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
me thinks the hardware hasn't been actual laid down yet....

would like to see details of the CPU & GPU
cjoyce1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:26   #9
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thought the rumour was its a rv700 chip sitting around the same speed as a 4870?
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:32   #10
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The only important piece of detail is CPU and GFX ... and they haven't revealed it yet, bah!
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:43   #11
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nintendo: I don't have thumbs long enough to reach into the middle of a 6.2-inch touch screen. Are you expecting me to hold that huge controller in one hand while I tap on the screen with the other?
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:46   #12
DbD
Supermodder

DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
The fact that it's hand held suggests it runs of battery which means very low power usage. Particularly if you want to use it for a while it'll have to be very light (meaning no heavy battery in there) and not get too hot to hold (meaning even 5W is too much). IBM cpu + 4870 ATI graphics sounds highly unlikely to me. We are talking nvidia tegra 3 or equivelent cpu + graphics.

Still don't quite get how it's meant to be used - do you use it alone and sometimes plug into tv for playing same game on big screen - in which case surely having cables snaking out of it going to your tv/hifi is going to be irritating.

Are you meant to game with mulitiple consoles (one per player) or multiple controllers (like the Wii).
What about 4 player Wii style gaming - does that require you use it like a Wii, in which case what's the point of having a console that's got a built in tv/controller?
DbD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:51   #13
Fod
what is the cheesecake?

Fod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbD View Post
The fact that it's hand held suggests it runs of battery which means very low power usage. Particularly if you want to use it for a while it'll have to be very light (meaning no heavy battery in there) and not get too hot to hold (meaning even 5W is too much). IBM cpu + 4870 ATI graphics sounds highly unlikely to me. We are talking nvidia tegra 3 or equivelent cpu + graphics.
How many times!? The controller doesn't do any processing - the Wii base unit does, and pushes the video to the controller.
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:51   #14
Spuzzell
Multimodder

Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
@DbD

THE CONTROLLER IS NOT THE F**KING CONSOLE ITS THE CONTROLLER.

Ahem. The console sits under the TV as usual.
Spuzzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:59   #15
Stotherd-001
Knows what a dremel is. Shock.

Stotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is the contoller. Not the core device. Nintendo weren't clear about that, but there is a new wii sized console, accompanied by this. The Wii U streams video to the controller.I think someone said over wifi.

Apparently its light enough to hold in one hand, and its only that size to accomadate the screen.

Yeah.
Stotherd-001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 11:16   #16
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Sorry but that is the most useless Spec list you could release....tells you absolutley nothing about its capabilities.

Oh how very typically Nintendo....
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 11:22   #17
eddieuk1983
Modder

eddieuk1983 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The latest rumour about the CPU is that it is based on IBM's Power7 architecture.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432965
Old 8th Jun 2011, 11:27   #18
mucgoo
I *am* a Dremel

mucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for president
Just did a quick test with a book about 8" size which the entire controller block appears to be. My thumbs can just meet in the middle and I've got largish hands. Explain how this works in relation to Nintendos target market of children?
mucgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 11:32   #19
Fod
what is the cheesecake?

Fod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucgoo View Post
Explain how this works in relation to Nintendos target market of children?
Nintendo's target is everybody... they were kinda clear on that.

besides, I think it's mostly going to be using your hands to control the buttons, and you let go of one side to operate the screen if using any touch UI (like the DS - you don't really use the touchscreen and buttons simultaneously, aside from the occasional soft button right on the edges of the screen). The hands-on writeups I've read state it's very light - much lighter than an ipad 2, so I hope this will feel natural.
Old 8th Jun 2011, 11:33   #20
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
have a look at the engadget video of the console / controller being used with a TV. Nintendo made money of motion control - everyone else copied it, so they're trying something "new" again. At least they're trying to innovate - I can't seem to tell Playstation from XBox at the moment.

This market is about the interface / user experience isn't it? The games follow on after that...
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote