bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Jun 2011, 11:23   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
CCP: 'Sony was more open to Dust 514'

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-to-dust-514/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 11:25   #2
Shayper09
Swimming in Deionized.

Shayper09 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
One word.

Gutted

I want this on the PC! Console gaming is not as fun or as good for me as PC gaming...
Watercooled Phantom
Click For Build Log
Shayper09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 11:30   #3
cjoyce1980
Supermodder

cjoyce1980 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I use to play EVE a while back, shame this isn't coming to PC or more consoles really as I do like the sound of this concept
cjoyce1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 11:50   #4
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayper09 View Post
One word.

Gutted

I want this on the PC! Console gaming is not as fun or as good for me as PC gaming...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoyce1980 View Post
I use to play EVE a while back, shame this isn't coming to PC or more consoles really as I do like the sound of this concept
The PS3 has native USB-keyboard and mouse support, and as Dust514 uses the UnrealEngine the game plays like on a PC basically. However, the PS3 doesn't come with the drawbacks of PC-gaming. It's the same hardware for all players and stuff like wallhacks, speedhacks and aimbots are basically non-existant on a console. Those who manage to hack and cheat get banned and banning is quiet harsh on a console as your account is tied to your hardware (serial number of the console).

For being PS3 only, well... Microsoft said NO to Dust514, so what could CCP do anyways? It's not the fault of CCP.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 12:01   #5
will_123
Small childs brain in a big body

will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
For being PS3 only, well... Microsoft said NO to Dust514, so what could CCP do anyways? It's not the fault of CCP.
nobody said that it was CCP fault? We just wished its came to the PC tbh. Also what are the drawbacks of PC gaming?

Web Hosting - http://www.goforthhosting.com
will_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 12:22   #6
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_123 View Post
nobody said that it was CCP fault? We just wished its came to the PC tbh. Also what are the drawbacks of PC gaming?
CCP made it very clear, that they want to get new players into the EvE Universe and not the same old people playing EvE Online currently. They didn't get tired of repeating this through the last 3 years of development. It's a fact CCP didn't even tried to hide, so it shouldn't actually surprise anyone.

In addition, FPS-games are usually prone to cheating on a PC using aimbots and wallhacks etc. For a competitive FPS like Dust514, which has influence on EvE Online that's not acceptable and a console is easily monitored and if someone really tries to cheat the actual hardware get's banned and not just an easily replacable account.

Old 8th Jun 2011, 12:42   #7
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayper09 View Post
One word.

Gutted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoyce1980 View Post
The PS3 has native USB-keyboard and mouse support, and as Dust514 uses the UnrealEngine the game plays like on a PC basically. However, the PS3 doesn't come with the drawbacks of PC-gaming. It's the same hardware for all players and stuff like wallhacks, speedhacks and aimbots are basically non-existant on a console. Those who manage to hack and cheat get banned and banning is quiet harsh on a console as your account is tied to your hardware (serial number of the console).

You're kidding right? The PS3 got hacked wide open only months ago and you've forgotten all the trouble Sony has had with PSN breaches already? Maybe you missed it. Anyway, I don't think any system is more hack proof than others.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 12:49   #8
Kernel
Likes cheese

Kernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentai View Post
You're kidding right? The PS3 got hacked wide open only months ago and you've forgotten all the trouble Sony has had with PSN breaches already? Maybe you missed it. Anyway, I don't think any system is more hack proof than others.
Aye PSN got hacked on a server level, but no individual consoles were hacked providing a small player base an advantage over others
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz / ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 / ThermalTake Frio / Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB / ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II / ASUS Xonar DS / Antec TruePower New 650W / Crucial M4 64GB + 256GB / 2 x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB / Fractal R3 / Logitech G15 / Logitech G500 / Dell S2209W / Dell E172FP
BF2 | BF:BC2 | BF3 | Eve Online | Xbox Live | PSN | Steam - Siuxia
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 12:58   #9
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayper09
One word.

Gutted

You dont seem to have a grasp of how large in scope the EVE universe is and that this is not "gutted" but adding an aspect that has never happened before on a AAA title: Console players interacting with their PC Overlords.

Dust is supposed to be console only by design, if you want to experience the EVE universe in depth, Harden Up and download the client for EVE.

Hail CCP!!!

Yours in Hardcore 0.0/Wormhole Plasma,
Star*Dagger
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 12:59   #10
enciem
Multimodder

enciem has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:

The PS3 has native USB-keyboard and mouse support, and as Dust514 uses the UnrealEngine the game plays like on a PC basically..
The PS3 might support a keyboard and mouse but it won't support it for this game. It would make it unfair to those playing with a pad, it's nothing like playing on the PC because of this.
enciem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 13:29   #11
Kernel
Likes cheese

Kernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by enciem View Post
The PS3 might support a keyboard and mouse but it won't support it for this game. It would make it unfair to those playing with a pad, it's nothing like playing on the PC because of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Release
DUST 514 has been built from the ground up to take advantage of the unique capabilities of the PlayStation platform. Digitally distributed, the full game download will be available through PlayStationŽ Network (PSN). It will feature full support for Sony’s PlayStationŽMove motion controller and Sharp Shooter accessory, and over time will extend the game experience across the full PlayStation ecosystem to Home and NGP.
If it supports the shiny Move stuff, can't see why it won't have Keyboard and mouse support.
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz / ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 / ThermalTake Frio / Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB / ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II / ASUS Xonar DS / Antec TruePower New 650W / Crucial M4 64GB + 256GB / 2 x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB / Fractal R3 / Logitech G15 / Logitech G500 / Dell S2209W / Dell E172FP
BF2 | BF:BC2 | BF3 | Eve Online | Xbox Live | PSN | Steam - Siuxia
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 13:39   #12
jrs77
theorycrafting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentai View Post
Hacking PSN has nothing to do with players cheating using aimbots etc. And I don't know of any hacks for the PS3 to have aimbots or wallhacks in Battlefield or any other FPS currently. For a PC tho there's tons of cheats known and the cheaters don't even get punished, because all they've got to do is to create a new account. If you hack your PS3 and play online with it, then your hardware gets banned too, based on the serial number of your PS3.

Quote:
As far as we know, we'll be able to play with keyboard and mouse natively. No quotes tho, as this is information given at the last fanfest.

Old 8th Jun 2011, 13:44   #13
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:

your sounding like a real PS3 fanboy there, don't know if that's the case, but your sounding like one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger
You dont seem to have a grasp of how large in scope the EVE universe is and that this is not "gutted" but adding an aspect that has never happened before on a AAA title: Console players interacting with their PC Overlords.
That's a good point, I'm not sure how many Dust players will actually realise how vast the universe above them is, how much of a difference they could be making to some aspects of EvE life and just look at it like a regular fps.
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 13:52   #14
bowman
Supermodder

bowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I was wondering how they were going to do this. Consoles are usually way too closed.

With Sony allowing Valve to run Steam on the PS3, I guess this wasn't unexpected.

Microsoft wouldn't even let Valve release TF2 updates for the 360 without CHARGING for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger View Post
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/featur...&search=gutted
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 17:38   #15
Kiytan
Shiny

Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I don't like EvE.
I don't massively like the look of Dust 514 (not a fan of console FPS anyway)

However, I seriously applaud CCP for doing something innovative (both creatively and technologically), so might buy the game anyway,
Kiytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 18:03   #16
Lenderz
Supermodder

Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiytan View Post
I don't like EvE.
I don't massively like the look of Dust 514 (not a fan of console FPS anyway)

However, I seriously applaud CCP for doing something innovative (both creatively and technologically), so might buy the game anyway,
It's going to be free to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lenderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 19:43   #17
enciem
Multimodder

enciem has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel
Quote:
Quote:
DUST 514 has been built from the ground up to take advantage of the unique capabilities of the PlayStation platform. Digitally distributed, the full game download will be available through PlayStationŽ Network (PSN). It will feature full support for Sony’s PlayStationŽMove motion controller and Sharp Shooter accessory, and over time will extend the game experience across the full PlayStation ecosystem to Home and NGP.
If it supports the shiny Move stuff, can't see why it won't have Keyboard and mouse support.
Has keyboard and mouse support been implemented with anything else as of yet. Can't say I've heard of it but don't often use my PS3. If it hasn't though, I don't see this game bucking the trend
enciem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 20:51   #18
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by enciem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel
Quote:
Quote:
Has keyboard and mouse support been implemented with anything else as of yet. Can't say I've heard of it but don't often use my PS3. If it hasn't though, I don't see this game bucking the trend
Unreal Tournament 3 if I remember right.
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 21:49   #19
toolio20
Modder

toolio20 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspoon
That's a good point, I'm not sure how many Dust players will actually realise how vast the universe above them is, how much of a difference they could be making to some aspects of EvE life and just look at it like a regular fps.
Agreed - makes this concept pretty intriguing, actually. It could capture the feeling of being a Division or Brigade Commander, making plans, strategies and orders but ultimately having to rely on the individual Company, Platoon and squad leadership to succeed on the battlefield. This is a rich concept, and if competently and successfully executed it could be a game changer (pun only somewhat intentional).

Will keep an eye on this...
toolio20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 22:54   #20
DwarfKiller
Multimodder

DwarfKiller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This may be the game that makes me buy a PS3.
So much potential. CCP better not screw it up.