bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th Jun 2011, 07:48   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
What's coming in Windows 8?

We take a look at the first glimpses of Microsoft's new operating system.

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/softwar...in-windows-8/1
Old 9th Jun 2011, 07:54   #2
Flanananagan
Modder

Flanananagan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What's coming in Windows 8?

Me.
Flanananagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2011, 08:13   #3
Siskodata
Minimodder

Siskodata has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
New interface mmmmmm NO

Its ok for pads and mobiles but not desktop call me old fashioned but even touch screen on a desktop for me has no use so the interface is useless. I think with a mouse that interface doesn't work well and I am sure it won't be used that much maybe new users will like it but not for me.
Siskodata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2011, 08:21   #4
SlowMotionSuicide
Come Hell or High Water

SlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for president
Quote:
It's been 16 years since the jump from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95. In that time we've seen mobile phones dominate train journeys, three atrocious Star Wars films and Sony ousting Sega from the console business, but we're still basically muddling around with the same desktop computer interface.
If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Looks pretty rad for tablet, but I seriously hope they won't be pushing this for regular desktop use.

HTPC: i3-3225 | H77-Pro4-M | 4Gb Ripjaws | GTX 660 |120 Gb Samsung 840 | Corsair CX400W | Silverstone GD-04
SlowMotionSuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2011, 08:25   #5
rogerrabbits
Banned

rogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siskodata
New interface mmmmmm NO

Its ok for pads and mobiles but not desktop call me old fashioned but even touch screen on a desktop for me has no use so the interface is useless. I think with a mouse that interface doesn't work well and I am sure it won't be used that much maybe new users will like it but not for me.
I'm happy to give it a chance and wait and see how I feel after some time using it. I'm a little sceptical though too. The thing with little icons is that you barely need to move your cursor to go from icon to icon. So I have 10 icons on my desktop that load 10 of my key things. One is a document I use a lot, one is my sound settings which I change regularly when I switch monitors, and the rest are apps and games that I use regularly. I only need to move my cursor 6 inches in a square and I have access to all of them. Getting a pretty preview of each one isn't really that useful to me, and the downside of having to move further and perhaps pan to other screens, just seems a bit chore-like.

If it's fully customisable though, I could probably get used to it. If I can get rid of all the crap they have on there like weather, stocks, and twitter, etc, and just have all my most frequently used stuff, it would probably be quite usable.
rogerrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2011, 08:33   #6
sp4nky
BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

sp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
It's been 16 years since the jump from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95. In that time we've seen mobile phones dominate train journeys, three atrocious Star Wars films...
So out of the four Star Wars films, which one wasn't atrocious? Was it:

Episode 1: the one with the pod race and the god-awful Jar Jar Binks
Episode 2: the one in which all the Jedi die
The Clone Wars: a cartoon that didn't work as a series so they repackaged it as a film
Episode 3: the one where I fell asleep , where Anakin becomes James Earl Jones and does his comedy "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

??
Old 9th Jun 2011, 08:38   #7
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Atleast they are moving forward.
I am happy with W7 for now and I like the current UI even if it has been around for a while.
I can see the new UI being easier to use for the non technical. Hopefully the new UI can be saved to a file so that it can be pushed out to multiple users.
I can definatly see a screen on a wall at home that the whole family interact with, I would assume that Kinect support would be key for that. Send email to a friend, start a skype call with a family member, load up iplayer and watch a tv show. It could mean the end of a traditional office desk and PC in the corner of the living room for the average non gamer joe.
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2011, 08:42   #8
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think this windows is good for tablets and other gimmicks... But please don't put this in the desktop...
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2011, 08:46   #9
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4nky
So out of the four Star Wars films, which one wasn't atrocious? Was it:

Episode 1: the one with the pod race and the god-awful Jar Jar Binks
Episode 2: the one in which all the Jedi die
The Clone Wars: a cartoon that didn't work as a series so they repackaged it as a film
Episode 3: the one where I fell asleep , where Anakin becomes James Earl Jones and does his comedy "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Oh damn, I'd forgotten about Clone Wars - I think I just try to erase anything Lucas has done in the last two decades from my memory, and pretend it doesn't exist.
Old 9th Jun 2011, 09:12   #10
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd prefer if Windows had this bit of code upon startup:
Code:
if (System.HasTouchEnabled){
  launchTouchShell();
} else {
  launchClassicShell();
}
I'd prefer a refined and improved classic shell on a non-touch system.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2011, 09:14   #11
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
As iterated by the people above, No for a desktop pc.

I hate people touching my monitor and why would I want to be leaning over my desk to keep poking and prodding my screen (not that its a touch screen anyway), this should be called windows tablet or something.

No thanks.
CrapBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2011, 09:27   #12
scott_chegg
It's a tool.

scott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded
I'd prefer if Windows had this bit of code upon startup:
Code:
if (System.HasTouchEnabled){
  launchTouchShell();
} else {
  launchClassicShell();
}
I'd prefer a refined and improved classic shell on a non-touch system.
You'll no doubt be able to tick a box to accomplish this.
My System: i5 2500K @ 4.7Ghz | MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz | Corsair H-50 Push-Pull with Silent Eagle 2000's | Silverstone Raven RV03 | EVGA 670 FTW | Dell SP2309W | Antec 750W TruePower Blue | Win 7 x64 | Crucial 64GB C300 for OS | Samsung 830 256GB for Active Games & a 1TB Samsung for Steam. Perphiperals: Roccat Kone+ Max V2 | CMStorm Quickfire Pro with Cherry Reds | Cyborg F.L.Y 5 stick for flying and a Logitech DF GT for driving.
scott_chegg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2011, 09:31   #13
lxrysprtmscl
Multimodder

lxrysprtmscl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
microsoft is already taking the path of apple with windows phone7. why can't they just do them same as apple, again, with the whole desktop/notebook/tablet debacle. windows for desktop/notebooks. windows phone 7 for tablets/phones. makes a lot more sense to me. less fragmentation of the architecture, imo.
Old 9th Jun 2011, 09:50   #14
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
I think it looks pretty good for a tablet OS: the Win Phone 7 tile layout works pretty well, and I can see this genuinely bridging the gap between your glorified smartphone tablet "web-books" and your full powered laptop.

However, as a Desktop OS: no thanks. All the demonstrated additions seem rather pointless for a desktop. Using that tile start-up as the lock-screen might work, but nothing else. Hopefully you can turn it all off and just use the classic interface.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2011, 09:59   #15
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Start screen is this personal mosaic of tiles - every app on your system is represented by a tile.'
Wow, we're calling "programme's" "App" now, woohoo, Major change.

Anyway, look at that "Mosaic Start" screen.

Shopping, weather, news, a blog, another blog (called tweet), pictures, someone commenting on your pictures,ooooh, a calendar, movies.

Now look at the Desktop of your work computer, no, not your IPhone, your work computer...
Which of the above are there and usefull?

To me it looks like they're showing playtime, which is nice, but not what most office computers use, nor need, nor are allowed to run.
And office computers are where the money is.

I propose a different system:
Make an OS for the casual user, for tablets, phones, your bathroom wall, whatever. Make it bright, colourfull, animated, always-online, cloudbased... whatever you like.
Win 8 Bright'n Shiny
And make a second OS for work users. Down to business, no frills, does what you tell it, nothing else. Programmes not apps. Backwards compatible. Doesn't phone out of your secured network. Serious. Everything where it used to be so transition from old to new is fast and easy without expensive schooling all your office dummies*
Win 8 NT...or Win 8 Professional

*and yes, I consideer myself an office dummy in this case
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2011, 10:14   #16
Bbq.of.DooM
Custom User Title

Bbq.of.DooM has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm pretty sure you mean 16 years from windows 3.1 to windows 7. 3.1 came out in 1992, and 16 years later was not 1995.
Old 9th Jun 2011, 10:22   #17
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq.of.DooM
I'm pretty sure you mean 16 years from windows 3.1 to windows 7. 3.1 came out in 1992, and 16 years later was not 1995.
No, it's been 16 years since 'the jump from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95' - i.e. it's been 16 years since Windows 95.
Old 9th Jun 2011, 10:26   #18
Stotherd-001
Knows what a dremel is. Shock.

Stotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Windows has always had the option to 'look professional'. You can make Windows 7 look like Windows 2000 fairly easily. They won't suddenly drop that.

Oh, and you have to forgive a bit of Episode 3. It gave us Backstroke of The West. Presbyterian Church cheesecake.

Yeah.
Stotherd-001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2011, 10:30   #19
lp1988
Ultramodder

lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
First Microsoft tries to put a full windows on a phone, they get beaten down as it was completely useless.

Now they seem to be trying to do it the other way around XD

just leave it to Microsoft not to learn from their mistakes.

NE AUDERIS DELERE ORBEM RIGIDUM MEUM.
lp1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2011, 10:35   #20
r8bwp
Minimodder

r8bwp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i`ve used windows from the day of its birth, some transitions have been inspired from what was, others well the screams of WTF have you done could be heard miles away.

I am not against change but Microsoft does have good record of bloopers especially in their operating systems. Some of them I hated so much, sometimes returning to the previous version. I have only recently laid to rest my XP PRO (cautiously) for WIN7. We all know the bloopers and the taste it left in our mouths and the hole it left in our wallets.

I`ll not be changing in a hurry to win8, Microsoft should bear in mind that the older generation doesn`t like constantly relearning or searching for the item (icon) file folder. Well it used to be there, where have they put it now. As you get older you like change less and less.

All very well for the tablet and the Iphone generation and the throwaway tech who can adapt to the change quickly, at 47 I`m starting to appreciate knowing where everything goes.

If the keyboard was drastically changed in its layout, remapping the keyboard would be a nightmare in my head (fighting to two layouts, well it used to be there! AARRGGHH)

On the other hand it took me a long time to switch to win7 64 ultimate and it was a lot less painful and worrysome than I had expected (THANKS VISTA!!! PIECE OF S*IT. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!).
Having said that I quite like win7 64 ultimate and has been very stable with very few glitches(My opinion and my needs).
PHEW!! that was a relief.

I suppose what I`m trying to say is:
i`m getting older(sniff, grumble ,moan)
I don`t want to be searching for something when I knew where it was or how it worked.
Deciding if a new operating system is a white elephant and a waste of money.(can i have my money back. NO!)
I don`t own a console and never will.
I don`t own a tablet and never will. I`m sure RSI will be an issue at some time for these people.
My mobile is a samsung D500(OLD)
I`ll upgrade the hardware every 3 yrs but the operating system, well thats a different matter.

I respect that I am biaised from my own perspective, experiences and my needs are different from other users.
r8bwp is offline   Reply With Quote