bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Jun 2011, 07:51   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Sapphire HD 5850 Xtreme 1GB Review

Last generation AMD GPUs ride again, with this cut-price, custom-cooled HD 5850 1GB.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...e-1gb-review/1
Old 10th Jun 2011, 08:19   #2
Telltale Boy
Designated CPC Jetwhore

Telltale Boy is definitely a rep cheat.Telltale Boy is definitely a rep cheat.Telltale Boy is definitely a rep cheat.Telltale Boy is definitely a rep cheat.Telltale Boy is definitely a rep cheat.Telltale Boy is definitely a rep cheat.Telltale Boy is definitely a rep cheat.Telltale Boy is definitely a rep cheat.Telltale Boy is definitely a rep cheat.Telltale Boy is definitely a rep cheat.Telltale Boy is definitely a rep cheat.
Nice review but the score at the end seemed a bit low. Why mark it down so much for speed when this card outperforms all other cards at it's price and greater? Surely speed is relative to the price point of the card?
Old 10th Jun 2011, 08:31   #3
mucgoo
I *am* a Dremel

mucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telltale Boy
Nice review but the score at the end seemed a bit low. Why mark it down so much for speed when this card outperforms all other cards at it's price and greater? Surely speed is relative to the price point of the card?
But then what's the point of the value score. I'm not a big fan of this new system
mucgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 08:43   #4
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.
FINALLY!

Thank god. Such a good card for the money!

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 770 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80
Parge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 09:08   #5
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow this certainly came out of no where, pretty impressive card.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 09:23   #6
Bbq.of.DooM
Custom User Title

Bbq.of.DooM has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i bet 100% of people buying this are going to be using it for bitcoin mining
Old 10th Jun 2011, 09:47   #7
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
tried to read this on my 2.2 desire but was impossible as the page kept refreshing - anyone?
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 10:03   #8
Grimloon
Usually bugnuts

Grimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run Crysis
Wahoo!

I've been trying to find a second 5850 at a reasonable price and this one fits the bill. Roll on payday for Crossfire goodness
Grimloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 10:09   #9
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd223 View Post
tried to read this on my 2.2 desire but was impossible as the page kept refreshing - anyone?
Absolutely fine on my Galaxy S with the Bit-Tech Android app 1.3.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 10:19   #10
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telltale Boy
This USED to be the case, but we now rank all cards on the same speed scale. A GTX 590, for example, will be 39, a stock 580 34, and so on.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 10:32   #11
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
What!!!....get with it BT, why has it taken so long for you to review a product that other sites were testing weeks ago?.

I love this site and respect your reviews just about more than any other, but sometimes your not exactly, well,..current are you.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 10:48   #12
rpsgc
Multimodder

rpsgc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why no overclocking?
rpsgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 10:59   #13
Stickeh
Help me , Help you.

Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Most sites are sold out of this...but overclockers JUST THIS MINUTE lowered their prices from £124.99 to £99.98! ( i saw the change going through google shopping, if you look still on google shopping its still at £124.99- as google updates prices overnight!)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...source=froogle

Just placed my order! =D
Old 10th Jun 2011, 10:59   #14
DwarfKiller
Multimodder

DwarfKiller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq.of.DooM
i bet 100% of people buying this are going to be using it for bitcoin mining
I wish this wasn't true... sadly, it probably is. On the upside, it's heading towards a crash.
Old 10th Jun 2011, 11:15   #15
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickeh View Post
Most sites are sold out of this...but overclockers JUST THIS MINUTE lowered their prices from £124.99 to £99.98! ( i saw the change going through google shopping, if you look still on google shopping its still at £124.99- as google updates prices overnight!)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...source=froogle

Just placed my order! =D
Nice find , it's just a shame that it's from Overclockers ::spit::

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 11:17   #16
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd never even heared of Bitcoin-mining before...
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 11:18   #17
Stickeh
Help me , Help you.

Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
Nice find , it's just a shame that it's from Overclockers ::spit::
Yeah this was my only bad feeling, but as they are holding stock...and the price so good. Can't grumble too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir View Post
I'd never even heared of Bitcoin-mining before...
Me either, but my interests have perked.
Old 10th Jun 2011, 11:57   #18
Comrade Penguin
Multimodder

Comrade Penguin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Here's an Ars Technica article on Bitcoin which goes into mining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ars Technica
In a process known as mining, individual Bitcoin users attempt to generate new coins by checking the integrity of the transactions list. They confirm the previous transactions and attempt to solve a difficult proof-of-work problem which involves exhaustively trying different solutions. There are a very large number of such potential solutions, so the likelihood of finding the solution depends how many other people are looking for it and how much computing power you devote to the problem. The first client to find the solution announces its good fortune to the whole network and earns a little reward for itself in the form of some shiny new Bitcoins.

By finding the newest solution to the proof-of-work problem, a Bitcoin client confirms the history of previous transactions and moved the transaction register forward, allowing new debits and credits to form part of the next block that can be mined to earn more coins. Future coins can't be mined in advance, because the computation to find the new block (and hence create new Bitcoins) relies on the the chain of previous blocks and the history of transactions since the most recent block.
My limited grasp of the issue means I don't understand that fully but hopefully it'll help someone.
Old 10th Jun 2011, 12:32   #19
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
thanks for the heads up on the android app - but I shouldn't need that to view a web page should I?
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 13:51   #20
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Penguin View Post
Here's an Ars Technica article on Bitcoin which goes into mining.

My limited grasp of the issue means I don't understand that fully but hopefully it'll help someone.
I am struggling to see what this has to do with a HD5850 from Sapphire?
xaser04 is online now   Reply With Quote