bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 17th Jun 2011, 12:27   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Kinect for PC SDK released

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...sdk-released/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2011, 12:29   #2
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Now only get the Kinnect sensor without the XBOX bundle crap (=console) associated to it .
Old 17th Jun 2011, 13:03   #3
Stotherd-001
Knows what a dremel is. Shock.

Stotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You can get this working really quickly... I had it going inside of 15 minutes and tracking skeletal points.

Yeah.
Stotherd-001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2011, 13:11   #4
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin
Now only get the Kinnect sensor without the XBOX bundle crap (=console) associated to it .
Indeed.
I quite like the possibility.
I will NOT buy an xbox, but admit that the kinect looked fun for parties.
Kinect games on PC would be a good compromise
do_it_anyway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2011, 13:50   #5
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
hmm, wonder if they will setup win 8 to use kinnect sensor if detected
Old 17th Jun 2011, 14:39   #6
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
Hmmm...the possibilities abound. Kinect version of Leisure Suit Larry anyone?

This could be a good move for Microsoft - with the type of "amateur" PC programmer that exists, we could see some really original uses outside of gaming for the Kinect that Microsoft never even thought of.
Old 17th Jun 2011, 14:39   #7
ffjason
Multimodder

ffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysis
@richcreedy - Great idea but too smart for microsoft to think of.
ffjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2011, 14:44   #8
SlowMotionSuicide
Come Hell or High Water

SlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for president
Bring on The Minority Report HTPC UI.

HTPC: i3-3225 | H77-Pro4-M | 4Gb Ripjaws | GTX 660 |120 Gb Samsung 840 | Corsair CX400W | Silverstone GD-04
SlowMotionSuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2011, 14:50   #9
MrJay
You are always where you want to be

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionSuicide
Very very yes....LCARS interface with motion control.. *Dribbles*

HTPC Silverstone Milo - A4 -5300 APU Undervolted - Biostar HI-FI A85SC - 4GB Corsair Ram Overclocked to 1600mhz - 64GB Toshiba X-Gale SSD
MrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2011, 17:17   #10
DirtyH
Minimodder

DirtyH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I want XBMC controlled with Kinect.
Old 17th Jun 2011, 19:21   #11
Nikols
Supermodder

Nikols has yet to learn the way of the DremelNikols has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wouldnt put this on my main rig but think itd be great on the htpc in the sitting room for windows media center control and a few games
AMD 1090T @ 4.03ghz (238x17@1.42v) | Corsair H50 | Crosshair V Formula | 6gb Kingston Hyper X 1600mhz | Gainward GTX 580 GS | GTX 280 physx | Crucial C300 Real SSD 256gb | 3 x 500gb WD caviar black | Corsair HX1000 PSU | LG Blu-Ray | Bose Companion 5 |Sony MDR-DS7000 7.1 wireless headphones | Dell U2711 | G9 & Wolfking Warrior pad
Nikols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2011, 19:50   #12
OCJunkie
OC your Dremel too

OCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionSuicide View Post
XBMC plugin would be epic.

And lmao @ Kinect Leisure Suit Larry...!

It has its uses, but in the end Kinect is completely unappealing to me as a serious gaming solution; sure it's cool, but having to stand and wave my arms during a gaming session would be beyond uncomfortable.
Gaming: CM 690 II A / XFX Pro850 XXX / GB 990FXA-UD3 / X4 955BE @3.8GHz - Hyper 212+ / 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 / XFX HD 6950 2GB - Twin Turbo Pro / OCZ Agility 3 60GB / WD Black 640GB & Green 1TB / 3x Acer 23in @5760x1080 Eyefinity
Media: Ultra Aluminus / Corsair TX750 / GB MA790X-UD4 / X2 7750BE @3GHz - Freezer64 Pro / 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC 1066 / HD 4670 1GB / WD Blue 320GB + Green 1TB & 1.5TB / Samsung 40in HDTV / Samsung HW-C560S / Harmony 300
OCJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2011, 20:54   #13
IonKnight
What's a Dremel?

IonKnight has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yea don't think they have meant this to be a gaming device for windows what it's meant for is for ppl to play around with the sensors easier (lol yes i am thinking of buying one just for my pc so i can get programming my own minority report :P mixed in with Hal from 2001: A Space Odyssey :P "hello dave :P").

Mind u on a more serious note tempted to buy this just cause they have released an sdk (not intested in hacking **** leave that to the more competient ppl in that area :P). But i think kinnect have done a great job because no matter what happens in the gaming market for kinnect every engineer is delighted as the prices for these sensors have dived. Screw it actually probably will buy it just for the thermal camera and ir transmitter two things could really need soon (mind u haven't checked the prices lately for these parts seperatly).

So yes expect to see some more uses of kinnect in the next year would expect some half decent programs to be out by then.

Quote:
hmm, wonder if they will setup win 8 to use kinnect sensor if detected
I expect it will as they want to merge their tablet os with the general OS so this could be a viable alternative for them for the desktop option (as noone wants to be close to a desktop screen but if u could do it in the air that's a different matter). So watch this space expecting nice things to come from this .
IonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2011, 09:42   #14
dyzophoria
Supermodder

dyzophoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
same, honestly games is the least I imagine using the kinect for, on my line of work (scada systems) this will really prove to be an interesting area to explore
Old 18th Jun 2011, 17:50   #15
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
By I could play pyro in TF2 with this.

Shame they are still pricey atm
Old 18th Jun 2011, 23:11   #16
Showerhead
Ultramodder

Showerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run Crysis
Don't see me using kinect for gaming but could see it being used as a remote to save me from having to get up from bed when watching tv and movies.
Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote