1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ZdMods | Harman/Kardon HTPC | Final pics in post #35

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Meelobee, 19 Jun 2011.

1. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Since this mod is done I've updated this post with the final pics. Original post starts below the pictures. :)

HTPC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Storage
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both of the units (bottom 2) and the original H/K AVR355 receiver
    [​IMG]

All buildlog pics are available here (Facebook album)

Original Post

Hello, Long time lurker showing my casemod in the works:

I've allready made a caselog on tweakers.net so some of you (hello dutchies!) might have seen this allready.

I currently use ps3 media server to stream media from my pc to my ps3 (1080p, DTS.)
    This works, but isn't the most enery efficient way to do it. (My pc, ps3, receiver and tv have to be on.) To make this a bit more efficient I'm trying to make a low energy htpc capable of running 1080p DTS movies

Hardware:

Samsung EcoGreen 2TB (F4EG HD204UI)
    OZC Vertex II 60Gb
    Kingston ValueRAM 4Gb (KVR1333D3N9K2/4G)
    Intel Core i3 2100
    Skythe Big Shuriken CPU Cooler
    MSI motherboard (H61MU-E35 B3)
    Ati Radeon 6450 1Gb
    Be Quiet! Pure Power 350W PSU

All this will be placed in a Harman/Kardon AVR 355 receiver housing, which I've ordered from a local repair center for H/K.

The modding begins! :)

07-05-2011
    Original H/K print with power & stand-by led, the powerswitch is on this print too.

Powerswitch and power led connected in quite blunt but functional way. I've cut the copper lines on the print with my trusty dremel. Cables will be sleeved:

Volume button, behind the button is a print with a potmeter and 3 leds that light the volume button:

I've put the leds in serie so they can be connected to the PSU and light up the button:

[​IMG]
    30-5-2011

Glued 2 aluminum corners into the case:

The mainplate can rest on the corners. Here you also see the backside of the case, this will be replaced by a piece of aluminum with the I/O pannel in it.

Started building the HDD rack:

[​IMG]
    31-05-2011

Continued working on the HDD rack:.

HDD Rack mounted onto the mainplate:

So far:

Enough room for all the parts:

[​IMG]
    Update 3 - 04-06-2011

More hardware arrived:

PSU and motherboard on the mainplate:

Just enough space between the PSU and motherboard for a powercable:

Overview, here you can also see the holes for the ATX and SATA cables in the mainplate:

Low height memory modules:

[​IMG]
    Update 4 - 13-06-2011

Continued on the back of the case, I've cut out the piece with all the I/O ports of the receiver

It's not completely done, the corner in the top left isn't straight yet and I've to drill holes in the bottom left and top mid so I can fit screws/bolts there.

Cut an aluminum plate and made it the I/O shield:

Together:

Fits like a charm ;) (Mobo isn't screwed down yet, when it is, the gaps between backside and ports will be smaller.)

Also started sleeving the psu cables. Unfortunately I didn't order enough sleeving so I couldn't finish it. What I've done so far looks like this:

Cut the hole for the PSU:

Connected a Mplay 202 VFD display and build it into the front pannel of the case (top = HTPC, bottom Original H/K.)

Made all the holes in the mainplate the right size, so all cables can go straight down into the mainplate and most of them won't be visible:

SATA, ATX and usb (from VFD) will all be sleeved and routed under the mainplate.

That's it for now, thanks for reading! I'll update this thread once I have more to show :)

EDIT: Removed pics due to bandwith issue's. Final pics in post #35

Full build album available @ facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.312834515438169.83988.312825515439069&type=3

Last edited: 25 Jun 2012
  2. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

looks interesting are you using this for watching movies adn thing like that
    the i3 cpu is agreat choice

3. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

Very interesting. Will all of the buttons of the front panel still be functional, or will you be removing some of them?

4. Meelobee

@ rayson: yes it's primary purpose is to serve as mediacenter. There are about 100 HD movies on the 2Tb disk atm.

@ Karrek: I'd like the front buttons to be operational (left, right, down, up, ok and back) but I'm not sure on how I can do this yet. I won't be removing any of them, I want the outside to stay as original as it is. (so you can't really tell which is the receiver and which is the htpc.)

5. miahallen

miahallen Team IRONMODS - World Champions!

Great idea, and very nice work so far :thumb:

6. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The picture is wheeljack

How i would do this is, to get a cheap usb joypad/ numeric keyboard. Smash it out of it's case, and extend the wires from the buttons terminal's to the usb device.

[​IMG]

something like this would do the job for about £7

then map the buttons to xbmc controls

Also you might want to put a small slow fan in the back, so all the hot air isn't being vented by the psu

7. Meelobee

That's actually a great idea to use a keypad, I ordered one right away, thanks for the tip :thumb:

Not sure if I want to put a fan in the back, more fans = more noise. (Not that I'll be hearing them when a movie is playing, but still..) The sides and top of the case are perforated, so heat probably won't be a problem. If it is I can allways add a small fan later on.

8. Meelobee

[​IMG]

Small update..

Added an alumimum plate behind the front to hide the original print in the front. .

EDIT: Removed pics due to bandwith issue's final pics in post #35.

:dremel:

Last edited: 25 Jun 2012
  9. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Looks good.

10. shah

shah Minimodder

Very nice... Good stuff

11. Meelobee

[​IMG]

Received a package containing sleeves, heatshrink, Sata connectors & a pin-remover:

Finished sleeving the PSU and guided the cables under the double bottom:

USB & Sata cables are all sleeved:

[sneak preview]
    This:

Plus this:

[/sneak preview]

That's it for now, thanks for reading! Comments and tips are welcome! [​IMG]

EDIT: Removed pics due to bandwith issue's final pics in last post.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2012
  12. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

very elegant work on the mod :thumb: the cable sleeving fits nicely with the brushed alu keep it up:rock: subbed.

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Preview: Internal EM shielding?
    What you have so far is pretty awesome. I need to make something to replace my aging cd setup someday, So I'll be watching.:D

14. Meelobee

Yup...well not for the EM shielding, but I made this:

[​IMG]

Used a perforated aluminum sheet to make a cover for the motherboard. I still need to make the holes for usb, P4 and powerswitch/led.

I hope the holes in the alu sheet and the Skyte CPU cooler are enough to keep temps ok.

..Till next time! [​IMG]

EDIT: Removed pics due to bandwith issue's final pics in last post.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2012
  15. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

nice job there ! to bad you did a horrible heatshrinkjob :(

Last edited: 29 Jun 2011
  16. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

I see you bought a GPU, very nice brand and model.. where's it gone? lol

17. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

too bad you suck ass

Meelobee, youre doing an awesome job :thumb:

18. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

Agreed witht his comment.

HMMmm:blah: some people :blah: dont agree with this one though :grr::eyebrow:

you did a good job on the heat shrink sleeving. Love the Mobo cover nice idea. if the temps get too high you clould always look at creating some slots in the cover to increase air flow.

19. Meelobee

Why is it horrible? Thanks for the constructive feedback! :eyebrow:
    I know I should have ordered pre-cut heatshrinks, but when the AXT plug is in the mobo you hardly can see the difference in lenght.

It's still on a shelf somewhere. The onboard video/audio play everything I want perfectly (1080p, DTS) so there's no real need to use the Radeon. I should have done a bit more research before ordering the parts.. lol So I'll probably use it in another mod.

Thanks! :)

Thanks! :) This is the first time I did sleeving, next mod will have better sleeving hopefully :) I hope the temps stay ok and if they don't I can indeed make some slots, or add a fan in the case to create more airflow. :)

20. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

You should have ordered the sleeve near the atx-contact better, before sleeving and removing the pins you should have took an marker and marked the cables just below the atxplug, there are some tiny tips that i use when i sleeve :), then i ofcourse cut some 100pieces of 1cm heatshrinks and i alligh the sleeve on the marked line and the heatshrik just below the start of the pinhead...

I found some pics on my pc :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]