bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 19th Jun 2011, 15:23   #1
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Sputnik 0667 > Completed

Hello. Id like to share my first modding attemt, whitch Ive been working on the last 3 months.
It's a computer combined with the beauty of arts and crafts, titled "Sputnik 0667".
I was inspired by the 20th century and old hi-fi. A retro mess with a sort of Cold War look to it.
The color concept is a combination of walnut, brass and matte black.

Specs:

Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 Mini-ITX
Intel Core i3 550 3.2GHz
Corsair 4GB
500GB Western Digital
Corsair CX 430W
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460
Samsung SH-S223C
Cooler Master Hyper TX3
2x Scythe 120mm Gentle Typhoon

monitor: AOC e2043Fs
sound: TASCAM us-122l and old speakers

Enjoy!

In context

The front

The back

The window

Close up / the solar system

Above

From side

Close up / ventilation.

From shut...

to...

TADA! ... open.

Close up / panel

Keyboard

Alternative setting > light board

Mouse "garage" open

Garage closed and DVD out

In the dark with the internal light

Two retro ads I made

WIP pictures:

Inspiration

Sketches

The beginning: MDF with walnut veneer

The panel

Test of the system

Speakers and smaller stuff

For the lock house

The hatch

My favourite detail, the brass window from an old clock.

Holes for window and key.

Inner hatch.

Panel layout.

The moment, gluing the hatch...

It fits perfectly. Phew!

Jalousie "garage" for mouse

It's SATAN!

The foot

DVD mount

Hasp

Detail painting / matte black

DVD and garage mounted to the panel

Upper light installation

The stripes, painted with pigment varnish

Final varnish on the panel

Testing the monitor

The keyboard:

Switch and red diode on DVD

Speakers mounted on panel

The small speaker system

The fans

All switches and diodes mounted

Audio cable

The ugly mess!!

The back panel, old school style

Solar system

Last edited by quizz_kid; 17th Aug 2012 at 10:38.
quizz_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2011, 21:48   #2
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
I want to buy this from you! That, sir, is absolutely top class! Wonderful modding.
KidMod-Southpaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2011, 22:00   #3
darren1678
Multimodder

darren1678 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldarren1678 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldarren1678 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
very awesome mod
darren1678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2011, 22:06   #4
Angel OD
Pump Killer

Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
This is amazing!

First I thought "Cool mod, a great way of re-using an old piece"

Then I saw it is a scratch-build!

You sir,
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=207889 - Motm nominee
The Theory of Everything http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=219504 - Motm WINNER!
Angel OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2011, 22:28   #5
(FIH) The Don
Multimodder

(FIH) The Don has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
oh my friggin gawd :O
(FIH) The Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2011, 22:43   #6
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
This is brilliant. Every thing about it from top to bottom. It looks exactly as it should be. Top Modding.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2011, 23:23   #7
suenstar
Collector of Things

suenstar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.suenstar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.suenstar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.suenstar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.suenstar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.suenstar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.suenstar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.suenstar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.suenstar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.suenstar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.suenstar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This is by far one of the most beautiful scratch builds I have ever seen... you've done an absolutely masterful job with the final product.
I'd love to be that good at modding one day.

Easily the best first post on Bit-Tech I have ever seen.
+Rep for an awesome entrance into the community.
Old 19th Jun 2011, 23:38   #8
AnG3L
Ultimate Modder

AnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run Crysis
Fantastic work my friend, this particular style is unique and the execution is more than perfect!!
I was wondering though how your temps are? Does your components get hot due to the small size and wood??

Mod on my friend +rep for pure awesomeness!!!
AnG3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2011, 00:32   #9
miahallen
Team IRONMODS - World Champions!

miahallen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmiahallen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Those ads are awesome

Excellent mod
miahallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2011, 01:38   #10
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
Awesome! I think you've captured the idea well. imo only the lock and key look out of place.
Old 20th Jun 2011, 03:41   #11
Shael
Multimodder

Shael has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow

That is an awesome scrath build, look like something out of grandfathers tv repair shop

Incredible detail has gone into your case mate just love the walnut and brass detail.
Shael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2011, 04:45   #12
IvanIvanovich
будет глотать вашу душу.

IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.
Thats really some nice work. You've done some interesting things and it looks gorgeous. Very nice Mid-Century / Danish Modern style, except the lock, which to me looks out of place. It's too Victorian looking. Otherwise wonderful attention to detail. I'm very impressed.
[end of line] intel xeon x3460 | evga p55 sli | 8gb mushkin blackline | evga gtx670 | seagate 600 240gb | creative titanium hd | seasonic ss460fl | gh60 keyboard | logitech g700 | achieva shimian qh270
IvanIvanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2011, 12:31   #13
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
First of all, thank ya'll for the welcome. Second, glad you like me piece!
This is my first mod and I don't know much about putting a computer together. I'm just happy it ended up working at all. Got a lot of help though, picking decent parts / small buget and all... But now I can't wait to make another one. Thanx again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnG3L View Post
Fantastic work my friend, this particular style is unique and the execution is more than perfect!!
I was wondering though how your temps are? Does your components get hot due to the small size and wood??

Mod on my friend +rep for pure awesomeness!!!
Thanks!! I could've worked a lot more with ventilaton I guess,
but the temps are ok I think, I'm no expert. GPU: <50C / CPU: <25-30C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila View Post
Awesome! I think you've captured the idea well. imo only the lock and key look out of place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysol View Post
Thats really some nice work. You've done some interesting things and it looks gorgeous. Very nice Mid-Century / Danish Modern style, except the lock, which to me looks out of place. It's too Victorian looking. Otherwise wonderful attention to detail. I'm very impressed.
Thanx guys!
I figured someone would mention the lock I know its out of place, but for this one, imo, that's a good thing. In the beginning, I wanted to give it more of a victorian look, with curved (cabriole) legs and all. But I got kinda bored, wanted something else, ended up with this odd mix instead... and I'm glad I did!
Old 20th Jun 2011, 17:32   #14
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Wow! You captured '60s tech perfectly. You even managed to trick poor AngelOD.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2011, 17:53   #15
Karrek
Multimodder

Karrek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like the retro look. looks like a piece direct from the cold war. Very artistic. Will this be your main computer at home, out in the family room, or where will it end up?
Karrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 01:21   #16
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Wow! You captured '60s tech perfectly. You even managed to trick poor AngelOD.
Tricked him I did!! And thanx man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrek View Post
I like the retro look. looks like a piece direct from the cold war. Very artistic. Will this be your main computer at home, out in the family room, or where will it end up?
Tnx!! Sputnik is my main comp at home. I'm typing on it right now and it feels great
Where it will end I don't know... Hopefully NOT in a big pile of ash after burning my apartment down
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 04:34   #17
slothy89
MicroModder

slothy89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow.. Simply wow..
Case : Zalman Z9+ (filled with Xigmatek XLF fans 120mm&140mm)
Storage : 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS - 1TB WD Caviar Black SATA III
slothy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 06:46   #18
Gentleman_Dingo
Supermodder

Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.
I love retro mods or in this case a retro scratch build! This is perfectly done. The only thing I can think of that would be extra is if you had a back door that showed a fake guts; radio tubes, ancient transistors, old wires and more.
Gentleman_Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 13:20   #19
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
yeah this is a pretty extraordinary build. Simplistic and retro with such attention to detail and such class. Excellent choice on the walnut too! Its got such nice, open grain and long rays. Just seems very fitting to the overall aesthetics of the build.

I hardly ever do this except when I feel its truly deserved, but +rep mate... you absolutely deserve it.

Last edited by sixfootsideburns; 23rd Jun 2011 at 14:54.
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 14:54   #20
voigts
Hypermodder

voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
This is just way too cool. I really like the ads that you made to go along with it. They really look like the time period. this is awesome.

I noticed the key too, but believe it or not, the one thing that I don't like is the metal fan grill. It just looks out of place to me. But that is a very minor thing. This is very well done. I even like how you faded the stain on the interior to look kind of aged.

Tags
retro, space, steam punk, wood, wooden

View Mode