bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Jun 2011, 12:36   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Intel unveils 50-core maths co-processor card

Intel takes on GPGPU computing with its new MIC processors.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...processor-ca/1
Old 21st Jun 2011, 12:46   #2
Burhoom
What's a Dremel?

Burhoom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
But can it run Crysis?

...sorry couldn't resists :P
Burhoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 12:57   #3
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Whether it becomes a threat to GPGPU depends solely on its performance in equivalent applications.

Also, different architectures will always perform differently at different tasks. It might be amazing at one thing (handily beating GPGPU) and be terrible at another.

Time will tell.
Old 21st Jun 2011, 13:05   #4
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thats quite an exhaust vent on that card. Must need some serious cooling.
Even though that looks like the same pic we've been shown for ages, I wonder if the latest version will be a dual 8-pin affair, with some pretty high thermals.
Old 21st Jun 2011, 13:07   #5
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Old 21st Jun 2011, 13:10   #6
Tattysnuc
Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
How does this affect existing software? Will software have to be written specifically to run on this, or will it just accelerate the maths calculations that can be parallelised? Folding....?
Tattysnuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 13:11   #7
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm looking forward to it. I'm planing to develop a physic engine and that would be lovely in pair with a nice GPU for the display.

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 13:42   #8
Taffy
Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

Taffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
History repeating itself, first just CPU's, then CPU's with a separate maths co-processor, then CPU and integrated maths co-processor. Now an additional separate maths co processor, What Next ?
Old 21st Jun 2011, 13:44   #9
StoneyMahoney
Multimodder

StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I can see research lab administrators being quite happy to buy a dedicated maths accelerator card for staff workstations where they would normally baulk at requests for gaming graphics cards. How well will it perform and how easy is it to offload work to it? Being x86 based, I imagine it'll be more flexible than GPGPUs just not quite as fast as the things GPGPUs can do.
StoneyMahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 14:04   #10
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildead666
Thats quite an exhaust vent on that card. Must need some serious cooling.
Maybe, but not necessarily. Without the need for Video Outputs like on GPU's they may just as well open up the back as not - it'd be a bit silly not to really...
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 14:19   #11
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm wondering how it will perform on the price / perf / power draw compared to GPU and CUDA / openCL.

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
Old 21st Jun 2011, 14:21   #12
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy
History repeating itself, first just CPU's, then CPU's with a separate maths co-processor, then CPU and integrated maths co-processor. Now an additional separate maths co processor, What Next ?
They'll attach a CPU to it soon, just watch. Dual CPU PCs using one on a PCI-E port
Old 21st Jun 2011, 14:29   #13
Baekkel
Picky Picture Villian

Baekkel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4lanx

They'll attach a CPU to it soon, just watch. Dual CPU PCs using one on a PCI-E port
I can see the scenario... SR-2 with Xeon add-ins
..?60Core madness?

Mods: Mini-ITX MC/MF
Baekkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 14:36   #14
NiHiLiST
New-born car whore

NiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run Crysis
Is there any word on whether this will support OpenCL? I believe that's the way we should go going, so computers can just have a pool of processing resources, be it CPUs, graphics cards or co-processors, which work together seamlessly. I understand it's much more complex than this from a programming and performance point of view, but it's a nice idea.
Old 21st Jun 2011, 14:39   #15
Autti
Multimodder

Autti has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
being x86 based doesn't net any benefits, in fact a lot of downfalls. x86 isn't designed to work specifically with high bandwidth processors like this, and his comments referring to programming a xeon is simply unfounded. You will have to completely re-write the program if you wan't it performed efficiently on this. Sure it's x86 coding, but if you have to write a program what does it matter what code, specifically when CUDA offers such unparalleled support.

I will reserve comments on the performance until there is more detail of what they have taken from the Larrabee core, but one thing should be pointed out. It's not just competing against Tesla, it has to compete with a few other processors as well such as Niagra which is a 128thread best of parallel processing.
Old 21st Jun 2011, 14:52   #16
Autti
Multimodder

Autti has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
found Intel's paper stating they achieved 950Gflops, with 1200Gflops the theoretical maximum, which means Tesla comfortably beats it.
Old 21st Jun 2011, 14:52   #17
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I don't know exactly the core design of the processor, so its hard to know just how fast the thing is going to be in different application (always the impirical method). However, my guess is, if it is using out of order instruction sets and most of the other goodies you see in current SB or even core x86 processors then my guess is that it is going to be a lot faster than GPU computing for a number of tasks, but still slower at some of the basic math highly parrallel stuff, like breaking hashes, etc take relatively little math, is completely inorder processesing and benifits from hugely parrallel processing, which 50 cores can't out compete 400+.

However, stuff that requires a couple of floating point precisions is probably going to run faster on this thing with its 50, assumedly faster and greater instruction flexibility, cores than on a GPU with more, but less capable cores.

My other guess, this is going to be a lot like CPU vs GPU computing. Somethings work better on full fledged CPUs and somethings work better on full fledged GPUs. This I think is going to be one of those grey areas inbetween where it is better than both at some things, and not as good at others. You need a steak knife for steak, a scaling knife for scaling and a paring knife for fruit. You can use each for the other's tasks, but they just aren't as good.
Old 21st Jun 2011, 15:23   #18
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baekkel View Post
I can see the scenario... SR-2 with Xeon add-ins
..?60Core madness?
Tyan Thunder n4250QE + Tyan Thunder M4985-SI Expansion Board + 8x 12-cores opteron = 96 cores ... and you still have 4x PCI-e16x free to be used .... nom nom nom

Old 21st Jun 2011, 16:59   #19
Sensei
Modder

Sensei has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Can none of you see whats happening? This is Skynet all over again. Well Im not hanging around for some T800 to ruin my day.

JC
Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 17:03   #20
moreard
What's a Dremel?

moreard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This reminded me of my first choice in computing - 486SX or 486DX
moreard is offline   Reply With Quote