bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Jun 2011, 13:02   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Gaming 28 - Revisiting the Village

We're back again with another gaming podcast (we'll do another hardware one sometime soon, we promise). This week sees Joe and Harry joined by Paul Taylor and Ian Hardingham from Mode 7 games, the developer of the most excellent Frozen Synapse...

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/podcast...g-the-village/
Old 21st Jun 2011, 15:04   #2
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Good pod cast, although I find their lack of cheesecake faith disturbing.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 15:34   #3
blood69
Minimodder

blood69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love your podcasts, but get some money and arrange one mic for each one of you.
blood69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 15:37   #4
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
We have one mic each. Provided by Shure.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 15:55   #5
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
I think more accurately they need monitors, without feedback you don't know if one person is quieter than all the others.

You know, if you all wore wired up headphones whilst your recorded it, you'd know as you spoke if the levels were off.
Old 21st Jun 2011, 16:00   #6
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
We've tried that before, but this seems to be a problem of compression. Currently we record on full volume and very loudly to the point that it can actually be painful to listen to when we edit it. Then we compress it into a file. Then we use Audacity to give it a big volume boost. Then we upload it.

Then you lot all complain that it's too quiet, leaving us unsure where the problem is...

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 16:05   #7
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

It's not too quiet, it's that certain people are much quieter than others. You almost have to turn up and down the volume depending on who's talking.

It simply sounds like some people talk loudly/very close the mic, whereas others lean further back/talk quieter.

Either record everyone on different channels, so that you can hike the volume of particular people if necessary during editing, or record using headphones so you know during recording if someone's too quiet, and ask them to move forward/speak louder.
Old 21st Jun 2011, 16:35   #8
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Interesting, it sounded OK here when editing. I allow little variations in volume that happen when people sit back from their mic to pass (otherwise i'd be editing it all day and you'd get half as many podcasts) but it seemed ok as a whole.

EDIT:
Listening back to it now (while i'm not simultaneously testing a PC for the mag) i can see some little imperfections. Ian could be louder later on for example, which is frustrating.

Some of the little dips in volume are also because people turn their heads when speaking to the person next to them rather than speaking into the mic.

bit-tech on Facebook - Custom PC on Facebook - bit-tech on Twitter

Steam ID: votelarry - BFBC2 ID: M4terial - Feel free to add me

Last edited by Material; 21st Jun 2011 at 16:44.
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 16:36   #9
.//TuNdRa
Resident Bulldozer Guru

.//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat.
I will admit; when Homeworld was mentioned; I turned around and just pointed empirically at the monitor while screaming "F#ck yes!"

/fanboy.
Dozy Beast: AMD FX8120 | Thermalright Archon | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP | Asus Xonar DX/XD | 2X SLI KFA2 550Ti White Edition | Silverstone SSTG1000W | Silverstone Raven RV-02B V1.7 | OCZ Agility 3 60GB | 2x WD 3TB RED RAID0 | Lite-on Blu-ray ROM
Dell U2913WM | Sennheiser HD 485s | Creative Gigaworks T40s | Logitech G13 | Microsoft Sidewinder X6 | Cyborg R.A.T 9
.//TuNdRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 16:45   #10
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Material
Interesting, it sounded perfectly OK here when editing. I allow little variations in volume that happen when people sit back from their mic to pass (otherwise i'd be editing it all day and you'd get half as many podcasts) but it seemed ok as a whole.
I'll admit I listened to it on the train, so I think the background noise probably drowned out a lot of the quieter moments of speech that you wouldn't struggle with normally.

It just seemed to be that Harry was very easy to hear all the time, Joe a little less so, and one of the Mode 7 guys was noticably hard to pick out.
Old 21st Jun 2011, 16:50   #11
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Yeah, for what it's worth, sat here listening back to it Ian does seem quiet quiet (see the edit to my earlier post).

It's frustrating. We record and edit the podcast in garage band and what it spits out when we click 'export to disk' sometimes doesnt sound all that much like what you've just spent an age editing :-(

Old 21st Jun 2011, 17:26   #12
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Volume seemed fine for me.
Old 21st Jun 2011, 22:18   #13
law99
Custom User Title

law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.
said **** though... oooooooo!!!
3570k WC @ 4.7giggles | 8gb Kingston 2133mhz | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | R9 290 (awaiting wc block... ) | Seasonic x-660w | NZXT 810 switch | Crucial M4 128gb | 2x F3 1tb Raid 1 | NZXT Sentry 6ch 50w fan controller | eyefinity 4112x1024
law99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 22:59   #14
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 21st Jun 2011, 23:18   #15
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .//TuNdRa View Post
I will admit; when Homeworld was mentioned; I turned around and just pointed empirically at the monitor while screaming "F#ck yes!"

/fanboy.
Homeworld was mentioned in this podcast!?

*Goes to download immediately. *

Was a bit disappointed at being another gamer podcast, but I'll forgive you for mentioning homeworld.
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 00:55   #16
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
yeah material.. what your looking for is hard limiting- not sure about garage band.. I don't use that but they might have something similar

cut a random part of the podcast to show you the difference.. that should end the issues with the different voice volumes

http://www.4shared.com/get/FxRlAj9m/samples.html
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 15:29   #17
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I thought the volume levels were ok. Although I did have my iPod on full volume. Great to hear from the Mode7 guys, it all gel'd nicely. More podcasts with guests please!

In fact I was very tempted to buy Frozen Synapse until they said they didn't like cheesecake ...

My interest is peaking though and as soon as they release Synapse as a single game I'll pick it up for a check out
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 17:05   #18
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Homeworld
Tribes 2
wow, this podcast is full of classics, nice!
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 22:04   #19
nobodyhere
What's a Dremel?

nobodyhere has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Volume levels were all over the place for me and I was listening to it using an android phone using bluetooth through the car stereo so I had plenty of volume available but the difference in volume between the Mode7 guys was remarkable. Aside from the volume issues, another entertaining podcast.
nobodyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2011, 14:08   #20
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Good podcast. I'm not holding my breath after hearing their response to putting FS on tablets or phones though. Real shame that. Hope they make it happen and make it happen quick.
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote