bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Jul 2011, 08:54   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Intel Core i3-2100 Review

A fully-fledged Sandy Bridge CPU for under 100.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...-2100-review/1
Old 1st Jul 2011, 09:43   #2
kaiser
Minimodder

kaiser has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmmm this seems to bode well for the Sandy-bridge based Pentium G6xx and G8xx's... and badly for AMD.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 10:02   #3
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
gmost US sites put this up against llano as it's in the same price ballpark and the AMD betters it generally. Sure mostly due to the gpu, but low end chips like that will generally rely on the gpu.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 10:33   #4
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I hate the lack of overclocking, and would struggle to recommend it to someone who is self building.
For just £20 more you can have a CPU that has at least turbo-boost that can be tweaked to get more performance out of it.
do_it_anyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 11:23   #5
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
I was hoping to see a comparison to the Phenom II X4 955, it's direct competitor in terms of price since they're exactly the same price on scan right now.
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 11:44   #6
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm20200
I was hoping to see a comparison to the Phenom II X4 955, it's direct competitor in terms of price since they're exactly the same price on scan right now.
We included the Phenom II X4 980 BE which is a superior CPU - I think the results speak for themselves...
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 11:56   #7
enikmaster
Minimodder

enikmaster has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
so, yesterday I've read your review about the new A8-3850 and you guys compare it to this i3 processor. Why didn't you use the same games on both reviews? Why don't show that this i3 is a lot worse in some other games? you could say that this one performed well in Crysis but awfully in Leaf4Dead. on the other side I would like to know who did the AMD CPU performed in Crysis and X3: Terran Conflit, just to compare...
You're better than this...
enikmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 12:07   #8
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
lol another Intel review and the AMD fanbois are out crying foul.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 12:22   #9
Combatus

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enikmaster
so, yesterday I've read your review about the new A8-3850 and you guys compare it to this i3 processor. Why didn't you use the same games on both reviews? Why don't show that this i3 is a lot worse in some other games? you could say that this one performed well in Crysis but awfully in Leaf4Dead. on the other side I would like to know who did the AMD CPU performed in Crysis and X3: Terran Conflit, just to compare...
You're better than this...

We didn't use the same games because we used a P67 board to test the Core i3-2100 here, as we do with all Sandy Bridge CPUs. As such we weren't able to access its integrated processor graphics unit so we used our normal suit of games and test kit. The A8-3850 is first and foremost an APU so we use a different test suit which includes less demanding games.

The 3850 is never going to outperform a quad-core Phenom, or run Arma II at reasonable settings at playable frame rates though. As such the 2100, which did manage to outpace a Phenom II X4 980 BE in several tests, is more interesting when paired with a discrete GPU. After all, we already know that the 2100's graphics chip isn't up to much.
Old 1st Jul 2011, 12:22   #10
fingerbob69
Hypermodder

fingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips
lol another Intel review and the AMD fanbois are out crying foul.
It's not crying foul ...yesterday the A8 got compared to this; up in some tests down in others.

Today, this i3 gets a free ride without a llano in sight.

"Something rotten in the state of Denmark?"

Cordless Mouseman optical ...deceased
XFX 4890 + Artic Twin Turbo Pro ...retired 26.10.2014
fingerbob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 12:25   #11
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
"Foul! Foul!" I hear them say
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 12:49   #12
Combatus

TBH, Llano's main selling point is it's integrated processor graphics unit, which is clearly far superior to the one included with the i3-2100 - AMD should be applauded for this. However, using a discrete graphics card, the i3-2100 was faster than a 3.7GHz Phenom II X4 in all our game tests - significantly so - which in turn is a superior CPU to the A8-3850. The A8-3850 simply isn't able to compete in a discrete graphics environment - even AMD told use they expect few users to pair Llano CPUs with discrete graphics cards.
Old 1st Jul 2011, 12:50   #13
S1W1
Multimodder

S1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
The £89 entry level dual core beats the AMD X6 1090T hexacore I bought 7 months ago for £180 I knew I should have waited the extra month for Sandy Bridge
AMD X6 1090T OC @ 3.75GHZ | Corsair H50 cooler | 8GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHZ | Asus M4N98TD Evo Motherboard | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB OC| XFX 750W Black Edition PSU | Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 HDD | 300GB WD Velociraptor | Samsung 840 250GB SSD | NZXT Hades mid tower with red LEDS and engraved side panels | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | Asus Xonar DX |
=== Alienware M11X R3 laptop ===
S1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 13:12   #14
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1W1 View Post
The £89 entry level dual core beats the AMD X6 1090T hexacore I bought 7 months ago for £180 I knew I should have waited the extra month for Sandy Bridge
Indeed, I'm looking to upgrade my x4 9950 and was just going to pop an x6 in thinking it was a cheap an worthwhile option, now i am wondering whether to switch platforms even though it does mean all new memory....whats the cheapest Intel SLi board I wonder?
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 13:59   #15
Acanuck
Modder

Acanuck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Reading through the comments, I can't find a single AMD "fanboi" comment, Snips.
The only times you seem to make an appearence on the comments is to start arguments between "fanbois". It's just not necessary if you ask me.
Acanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 14:30   #16
D B
Supermodder

D B has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just wondering what this CPU is targeted at ?
I would think small laptop/netbooks with no dedicated GPU , and I wish that the tests would have included one with on chip graphics
Old 1st Jul 2011, 14:46   #17
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acanuck
Reading through the comments, I can't find a single AMD "fanboi" comment, Snips.
The only times you seem to make an appearence on the comments is to start arguments between "fanbois". It's just not necessary if you ask me.
Don't feed the trolls mate. It's best to ignore them.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 14:54   #18
Acanuck
Modder

Acanuck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acanuck
Don't feed the trolls mate. It's best to ignore them.
You're absolutely right. It's what I usually do.
Acanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 15:16   #19
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The i3-2100? Deffinitely not netbooks and laptops. It is a desktop part, not a LV let alone CULV part. This is targeted at entry level desktop buyers who would be looking at an Intel desktop.

At around $120-130 US, plus a motherboard, case, low end discrete GPU, etc you have a system probably running in the $450-600 price range with monitor (again, an entry level probably 20" monitor) that performs pretty well, but not spectacularly. Think Llano competitor, but maybe $50-100 more and more powerful at that. Llano really seems to be targeted at the entry level buyer and maybe HTPC, which TBH it seems to be able to do pretty well (and also low end and even in to the midgrade laptop range). Bulldozer looks to be targeted at the midrange of the buyer market, though I think AMD would claim the high end. (the architecture revisions just don't look like it'll do that and AMD seems to be claiming its higher end bulldozer parts, octocore are going to be able to take on SB 2500k and maybe even 2600k...Intels stated midrange champions...that doesn't include any upcoming Intel SB-E parts, like their Hexacore and possible future octocore parts, which means it takes nearly or even twice as many cores for the same multithreaded performance).

So AMD deffinitely had a place in the right machine, and a lot of computers ship in the entry level market, just like dSLR cameras, more people by entry level dSLRs (or for that matter point and shoots) than they do prosumer or pro dSLRs...however margines are much smaller in the very entry level of the market, the mid level of the market is the real king in most industries.
Old 1st Jul 2011, 16:10   #20
TaRkA DaHl
I *am* a Dremel

TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Did anyone check the PPD in F@H by chance?
TaRkA DaHl is offline   Reply With Quote