bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th Jul 2011, 08:29   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
The Best Memory for AMD Lynx APUs

We take a look at how memory speeds affect 3D performance on AMD Llano systems.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...ry-for-llano/1
Old 6th Jul 2011, 09:06   #2
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Does the amount of memory reserved by the system for graphics affect the performance as well?
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2011, 09:44   #3
kaiser
Minimodder

kaiser has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Without being facetious, the answer to that question should be pretty obvious. I hear too many people ask if having more ram will improve performance... well yeah, but only if it was running over in the first place (ignoring number of channels, ofc)

.More importantly, what kind of video ram usage to modern games use? I haven't seen an analysis of it for some time, clearly the GTX 460 758mb seems to do ok with less than a gig of ram, but how much is really needed?
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2011, 10:21   #4
BrightCandle
Multimodder

BrightCandle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It looks like performance is scaling linearly with RAM clock speed. Any chance you can add some 2000+ Mhz results as well? Seems like this should get the absolute best out of the APU.

Its not all that surprising that its a RAM bandwidth starved. Its sharing with the CPU and DDR3 running at these low speeds is hardly what graphics cards are used to. A High end GPU from AMD will have a memory bandwidth well above 100 GB/s, and two 1866 sticks are mere 30GB/s (theoretical).
BrightCandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2011, 10:31   #5
Nikols
Supermodder

Nikols has yet to learn the way of the DremelNikols has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Love these types of articles... I know this isn't the a/cpu for performance but when reviewing ram compatability it'd be great to read how it faired with all four slots filled and running at the spec'd speed of the ram. I like to read if new tech is improving high performance stability
AMD 1090T @ 4.03ghz (238x17@1.42v) | Corsair H50 | Crosshair V Formula | 6gb Kingston Hyper X 1600mhz | Gainward GTX 580 GS | GTX 280 physx | Crucial C300 Real SSD 256gb | 3 x 500gb WD caviar black | Corsair HX1000 PSU | LG Blu-Ray | Bose Companion 5 |Sony MDR-DS7000 7.1 wireless headphones | Dell U2711 | G9 & Wolfking Warrior pad
Nikols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2011, 10:46   #6
tonyd223
king of nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser
Without being facetious, the answer to that question should be pretty obvious. I hear too many people ask if having more ram will improve performance... well yeah, but only if it was running over in the first place (ignoring number of channels, ofc)

.More importantly, what kind of video ram usage to modern games use? I haven't seen an analysis of it for some time, clearly the GTX 460 758mb seems to do ok with less than a gig of ram, but how much is really needed?
I was wondering more how ram is allocated to video memory - static allocation or dynamic. So the test is a 4GB kit - how much memory is required to run the game and run the graphics and is that ram allocated dynamically - which means is there a minimum ram requirement for different games...

You know what I mean.

Also +1 on the 4 slot thing rather than 2 slots of memory...
Old 6th Jul 2011, 11:02   #7
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightCandle View Post
It looks like performance is scaling linearly with RAM clock speed. Any chance you can add some 2000+ Mhz results as well? Seems like this should get the absolute best out of the APU.

Its not all that surprising that its a RAM bandwidth starved. Its sharing with the CPU and DDR3 running at these low speeds is hardly what graphics cards are used to. A High end GPU from AMD will have a memory bandwidth well above 100 GB/s, and two 1866 sticks are mere 30GB/s (theoretical).
Bit mentioned that a overclocking review is coming, hopefully we will see resultw of quicker RAM speeds there.

Overclocking should be very interesting based on what I have seen so far. The TDP limit design imposted by AMD (each task given a tdp allocation dynamically) means that once you start pushing the CPU the GPU has less TDP budget to play with, thus your overall gaming performance may drop instead of improve (assuming you are using the Llano GPU and not a discrete one).

Overclocking just the RAM should allow for improvements all round, especially in scenarios that are heavily bandhwidth limited (gaming).

Last edited by xaser04; 6th Jul 2011 at 11:18.
xaser04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2011, 11:43   #8
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightCandle
1866MHz is the highest speed RAM that the processors are rated to run with and as a result that's as high as our board could take the RAM.

To get it to run faster you'll need to overclock, the base clock of the board, something which our test board didn't like doing (see our original Lynx review for more information). Hopefully we'll get more competent boards in in the future and be able to see how performance scales with even faster memory speeds.

bit-tech on Facebook - Custom PC on Facebook - bit-tech on Twitter

Steam ID: votelarry - BFBC2 ID: M4terial - Feel free to add me
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2011, 11:52   #9
tonyd223
king of nothing

also would be nice to see some platform stats with a 6670 in crossfire...
Old 6th Jul 2011, 11:53   #10
DarkFear
Supermodder

DarkFear has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't know why, but for some reason this review made me want to watch Simpsons....
DarkFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2011, 12:42   #11
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hey, you've given us the review we wanted: You love us, you really love us!
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2011, 12:50   #12
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T
Hey, you've given us the review we wanted: You love us, you really love us!
Feeling the same kind of love and that AMD really brought to us a really nice product and even a possible LAN party pc
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2011, 13:15   #13
Chicken76
Hypermodder

Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
We re-tested Left 4 Dead 2 with 1,333MHz memory at 1,080 x 1,050 ...
That's a rather unusual resolution to run a game at, isn't it? (page 3, paragraph 6)
Chicken76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2011, 19:01   #14
OCJunkie
OC your Dremel too

OCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, those were extremely predictable results but nice to see nonetheless. I would have liked to see the test expanded to cover the impact of 4GB vs 8GB kit as well though.
Gaming: CM 690 II A / XFX Pro850 XXX / GB 990FXA-UD3 / X4 955BE @3.8GHz - Hyper 212+ / 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 / XFX HD 6950 2GB - Twin Turbo Pro / OCZ Agility 3 60GB / WD Black 640GB & Green 1TB / 3x Acer 23in @5760x1080 Eyefinity
Media: Ultra Aluminus / Corsair TX750 / GB MA790X-UD4 / X2 7750BE @3GHz - Freezer64 Pro / 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC 1066 / HD 4670 1GB / WD Blue 320GB + Green 1TB & 1.5TB / Samsung 40in HDTV / Samsung HW-C560S / Harmony 300
OCJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2011, 19:39   #15
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I had to scratch out the time for this testing as it was...

Would you really out 8GB of RAM in a budget Lynx system though?

bit-tech on Facebook - Custom PC on Facebook - bit-tech on Twitter

Steam ID: votelarry - BFBC2 ID: M4terial - Feel free to add me
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2011, 20:29   #16
-VK-
Lurker

-VK- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Be interesting to see your take on Dual Graphics
Old 7th Jul 2011, 13:25   #17
[-Stash-]
Multimodder

[-Stash-] has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Material
Would you really out 8GB of RAM in a budget Lynx system though?
That depends on whether or not it was worth the outlay for the performance
8GB isn't all that much money now, so… also, 8GB RAM isn't unreasonable if you're a heavy multitasker when not playing games.
[-Stash-] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2011, 13:58   #18
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Material
I had to scratch out the time for this testing as it was...
Yeah, it was worth it though!

I'm contemplating building a totally silent, 0db system that's still capable of gaming around this:
http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/pro...es/nof-set-a40

Only thing that's giving me pause is the price - as the better 400W passive Seasonic PSU can be had for about £120, which values the heatsink & (frankly ugly) case at about £280, which is not especially good value when the case looks to be worth about £50.

If I did build it, an extra few quid on RAM is small by comparison, especially if it does have a significant effect. Though saying that, I can't see going from 4GB to 8GB making much difference, it was the speed I was after...
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 15:03   #19
nuc13ar
Modder

nuc13ar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
but anytime you change any of the other components, you would have to replace the thermal paste? no thanks. cool link, though.
nuc13ar is offline   Reply With Quote