bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Jul 2011, 08:46   #1
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Crysis 2 DirectX 11 Patch Analysis

Crytek has finally released a DirectX 11 and high-res texture patch for Crysis 2. We take a look.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...tch-analysis/1
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2011, 08:56   #2
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
The "core gameplay" in Cryis 2 is excellent. I was one of the complainers prior to 1.9 patch because the game didn't run SLI on my 2 x liquid cooled 560Ti's. With 1.9 it runs perfectly and looks great. It's the best looking game available for PC. Gameplay is interesting and the cut scenes very cinematic. I've only tried multiplayer briefly but I like it so far.

Those children who say this is no longer Crysis because Crytek dared to change to a city environment? Absolute bollocks. The core gameplay remains unchanged. Crysis 2 is one of the best games I've played this year.

The character detail and animation is so good that the characters convey some level of emotion. Interesting that we're reaching a point in games now where 3d characters can do this.

I feel sorry for Crytek actually. They worked hard to produce a very good game. Made some mistakes with the PC version but certainly have made up for it now. Doesn't seem to matter what they do, kiddies will criticise and say the game is crap.

Remember how they reacted to the first Crysis? "Crysis is ****, it doesn't run maximum detail on my 8800gt, it's badly coded!"

Crysis 2 PC is the best game I've played this year.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2011, 09:09   #3
will_123
Small childs brain in a big body

will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Certainly is not one of the best games of the year, and i have no sympathy for Crytek whatsoever. I never thought either games were actually that fun to play it was all about the visuals for me. Just bog standard shooters in my opinion.

Web Hosting - http://www.goforthhosting.com
will_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2011, 09:22   #4
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think we all owe Crytek a big 'thank you very much' for spending time after the game was released to develop and deploy this patch. Maybe the game should have been initially released with the patch already installed, but fair play to them for still caring about us PC gamers.

Thanks!

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 970 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80

29" Ultrawide, Oculus Rift & X52 Pro
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2011, 09:25   #5
TAG
Supermodder

TAG has yet to learn the way of the DremelTAG has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Could we have multi gpu performance scaling numbers?
Is anything capable to run this in ultra on 3 monitors?
Crucial C300 128GB # 5x Samsung F1 1TB
Corsair TX850 # Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced # 3x Dell U2410 monitors
TAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2011, 09:27   #6
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Crysis 2 is awesome! I'm about to go through for my third replay. Also, just starting to get into the multiplayer which isn't bad either. Nothing special but good fun nonetheless. And my vote for best game soundtrack (possibly of all time) goes to Crysis 2.
Old 8th Jul 2011, 09:28   #7
mucgoo
I *am* a Dremel

mucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
The character detail and animation is so good that the characters convey some level of emotion. Interesting that we're reaching a point in games now where 3d characters can do this.
Try playing half life episode 2, been able to do that a while.
mucgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2011, 09:30   #8
Taniniver
Multimodder

Taniniver has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaniniver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Anyone got performance numbers? I'm very wary that I won't actually be enable all this eye candy at my native res of 2560x1600, even with 2500K @ 4.4 Ghz and 2x GTX 570 in SLI...
Taniniver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2011, 09:40   #9
Ph4ZeD
Banned

Ph4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run Crysis
I gave up on the Crysis 2 DX11. The tessellation does look great but the high res texture pack made my textures look very pixelated. I guess its because my GPU is so low end.
Ph4ZeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2011, 09:54   #10
TheStockBroker
King Battletoad

TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I can't believe you didn't bring up any performance numbers! - It's a bit of a dog to run now!

TSB
Old 8th Jul 2011, 09:57   #11
Bungletron
Hypermodder

Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.
I got so bored with the bland storyline and unappealing hero and characters I stopped playing. I might have a go see if this makes any difference.
Bungletron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2011, 10:06   #12
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD View Post
I gave up on the Crysis 2 DX11. The tessellation does look great but the high res texture pack made my textures look very pixelated. I guess its because my GPU is so low end.
how dare you not having 2 GPU's. how dare you playing Crysis 2 before patch 1.9. obviously Crysis 2 was meant to be played with 2 GPU 4 months after it's released.

what was that? you have multi-GPU but want to play the game on release? bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers View Post
The "core gameplay" in Cryis 2 is excellent.

Those children who say this is no longer Crysis because Crytek dared to change to a city environment? Absolute bollocks. The core gameplay remains unchanged. Crysis 2 is one of the best games I've played this year.
if you play Crysis 1 the boring way by cloak and decloak to shoot then cloak, then C2 is perfect for you. if you want any other play style, C2 doesn't offer that option. distraction doesn't exist, claymores doesn't exist, fast-switch to speed for fast reload doesn't exist. strength mode sniping doesn't exist. it's not about change to visual environment on the surface, it's about change to perfectly executed core gameplay of Crysis 1.

Crysis 2 is now like the super hot model with plastic surgery, whereas Crysis 1 is the funny, intelligent girl with whom you can always have a good time.
Old 8th Jul 2011, 10:07   #13
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucgoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
Try playing half life episode 2, been able to do that a while.
I liked HL EP2. What I mean is the level of facial detail allows much more realism and character expression. Myst End of Ages also did it well but the character models are so detailed in Crysis 2.

People complaining about the storyline:

I don't give a ****. My life isn't that empty that I sit and analyse every detail in a story to see if it makes sense. It's fantasy and that means it doesn't have to make sense. The game is actually absorbing and the storyline over the top hollywood but it doesn't matter.
Old 8th Jul 2011, 10:11   #14
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I gotta 5870 1gb and a i5 750@4.1ghz - getting old I know, I know. It can only play crysis 2 at 1080p with everything set to "very high" now that the directx11 patch and HQ texture pack is out yet it does this at a solid 50fps in all but the largest of areas. Looks like the next generation of graphics cards is gonna find a home in my system whenever that ends up coming out so I can push my options higher. I don't think springing for a 6k or 500gtx card would be worth it right now but for those that have one it probably makes a world of difference how far you can push your graphics up. - I haven't noticed any changes to the gameplay at all though, A.I. of the aliens still gets hung up on terrain the most outta anything else in the game for me just as much as it always did. It just looks nicer now, heh.
I5-750 @ 4GHz - MSI P55-GD65 - 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX 680 2GB - 1 Western Digital Black 1TB - 2 Western Digital Green 2TB - 700W Silverstone PSU - H50 Water Cooling Unit - Win7 64-Bit - Logitech G400 - Cooler Master QuickFire Pro MX Brown - Steelseries Icemat V2 - Blue Microphone Snowball - Logitech C920 Webcam
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2011, 10:16   #15
feathers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD View Post
how dare you not having 2 GPU's. how dare you playing Crysis 2 before patch 1.9. obviously Crysis 2 was meant to be played with 2 GPU 4 months after it's released.

what was that? you have multi-GPU but want to play the game on release? bad luck.

Quote:
The "core gameplay" in Cryis 2 is excellent.

if you play Crysis 1 the boring way by cloak and decloak to shoot then cloak, then C2 is perfect for you. if you want any other play style, C2 doesn't offer that option. distraction doesn't exist, claymores doesn't exist, fast-switch to speed for fast reload doesn't exist. strength mode sniping doesn't exist. it's not about change to visual environment on the surface, it's about change to perfectly executed core gameplay of Crysis 1.
I guess if you're someone who takes everything so seriously and regards crysis 1's core gameplay as perfect then I guess you're going to complain about crysis 2. I mean I know people whose lives are so dominated by games that they are already refusing to play Battlefield 3 when it's released because they claim it won't be perfectly balanced to suit their professional clan playing skills. I feel sorry for people who take games so seriously that they have to complain about everything on a game that's actually very absorbing.

I guess when it comes down to it, I don't try to play a game as if it was real life and spend my time worrying about weapon realism/ballistics, weapon balance etc. I play a game for the cinematic experience.

I play Crysis 2 with body vibration and surround sound so it's a very engaging experience. That's how I play all my games.
Old 8th Jul 2011, 10:16   #16
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
"Splending" and "computability"?

Other than that Crysis 2 DX11 looks effing hot!

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2011, 10:28   #17
DbD
Supermodder

DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Kudos to bit-tech to not only managing to install the patch but actually review it too without going off in some sort of childish hissy fit unlike some other not so [H] sites out there.
DbD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2011, 10:47   #18
enciem
Multimodder

enciem has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniniver
Anyone got performance numbers? I'm very wary that I won't actually be enable all this eye candy at my native res of 2560x1600, even with 2500K @ 4.4 Ghz and 2x GTX 570 in SLI...
If you like to play your shooters at 60fps+ then you won't be able to turn it all up. It also starts flickering in places with some of the new shadowing. You should be able to play it on extreme settings with no DX11 though, which looks better than most other games anyway. Perhaps your processor will help but it seems to be a graphics card intensive game. I haven't done any extensive testing on what needs to be turned off to get the 60fps back from pre tessalation/DX11/Ultra upgrades. With everything maxxed it regularly dips to around 42 just for your interest.

I'm using i7 930 @3.8, 6gb Ram @1729, 2x 580 lightnings @850, win 7, 2560x1600.
enciem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2011, 10:53   #19
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbD View Post
Kudos to bit-tech to not only managing to install the patch but actually review it too without going off in some sort of childish hissy fit unlike some other not so [H] sites out there.
Ignoring [H]'s actually "review" for a second I was genuinely shocked by how unprofessional Kyle Bennet acts on the forums. His responses read like some 12 year old who has just found swear words in the dictionary.
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2011, 10:54   #20
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
I guess when it comes down to it, I don't try to play a game as if it was real life and spend my time worrying about weapon realism/ballistics, weapon balance etc. I play a game for the cinematic experience.
good for you, guess beauty is only skin deep.

but i play my game for gameplay elements, such as Plants vs Zombies, Trainyard or Portal. funny enough, i've never considered realism or ballistics with Crysis 2, it's not a military-sim, the removal of speed, strength and added simplicity to silently shoot without breaking cloak are my problems.