bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 1st Nov 2014, 20:07   #1
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
iOS 'Alpha' / 'Beta' testers wanted

Hi

After a long time working on it, my iOS app is in the final stages of development and internal testing. In a few days (maybe a week or two depending on Apple) I'll be sending it out to a few Alpha / Beta testers, so if anyone fancies getting involved... read on

It's an entertainment / education / knowledge / achievement / skill / collectable / life gamification app for iOS 8+ devices. Yes, I know that sounds vague, but I'll pass on more details to anyone interested.

iOS 7+ compatibility may come later on, but for now it's iOS 8+ exclusively. It's great for iPhones but will happily work on iPads. To get the most out of 'some' of it a GPS equipped device is preferred.

I'll be using Apple's TestFlight beta distribution system (I've used it previously when it wasn't Apple owned) so if you want to get involved I'll need to know the email address from your Apple ID but that's it, you don't have to 'sign up' or connect the app to any accounts or other security unknowns. The email is purely so I can invite you via Apple's systems.

Fire away with questions.

Oh, and if you help, I promise to include everyone in the apps acknowledgements if they want it
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2014, 21:43   #2
Votick
My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Votick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Sure I'll help

http://stats.bish.pro/
Votick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2014, 22:21   #3
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
I'll happily give you a hand.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 00:21   #4
Cookie Monster
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.
Snap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 00:36   #5
yodasarmpit
No longer the other Brett.

yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.
Happy to help.
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 01:40   #6
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Thanks peeps. I will be back in touch as soon as I'm at the right stage.

I might need to look at another Beta distribution method as Apple have really messed up the Testflight distribution platform since they bought it. I've got several Apple IDs I use for personal / dev purposes and "Invite a tester" system is breaking for my primary and personal Apple ID.

If I'm not confident in the system I'm not going to use it with testers.

This sucks, as dealing with Apple and bugs in their system is beyond horrendous. It's a black hole. Your file a report and either hear nothing or they get back with a basic response in 3mo time (not joking).

There's alternative methods I can use to push beta apps out but they're all from the "Not as good as TestFlight" category which is why Apple bought TestFlight and integrated it into their tools.

What is TestFlight?

To install my app on your (non jailbroken) devices it needs to be digitally signed. If I know your unique device IDs I could do an 'ad hoc' distribution and send you the app install file to install via iTunes.

This is painful for me, and painful for you (Been there - done that)

TestFlight 'should' allow me to publish the app as a beta version similarly to how I submit it into the App Store. You use Apple's TestFlight app (from the app store) to see your beta invites and install the beta version.

For testers it's dead easy, you get the beta releases without having to go near iTunes etc, and I get any feedback / crash reports.

The initial beta version even goes through the app store approval process which should weed out people pushing out contact stealing spyware apps claiming to be betas for something cool.

Next steps

I'll keep persevering with TestFlight into next week. If I can get it working enough for you guys it's by far the cleanest solution.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Guinevere; 2nd Nov 2014 at 01:50.
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 20:53   #7
julianmartin
resident cyborg.

julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.
Hey Jen, if you need another I'd be happy to help.

Core i7 930||Asus P6X58D-E||12GB XMS3||64GB M4||570GTX||Define R3
julianmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 23:16   #8
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianmartin View Post
Hey Jen, if you need another I'd be happy to help.
Thanks, the more the merrier

The app has been Apple approved for their Beta process so I can send out invites as soon as I've got a build I'm happy with.

I've got a few more little things to look at, and then it should be ready. With the sprogs back to school tomorrow I'll be back to having more work time.

BTW, I still never got my primary Apple ID working nicely with testflight but finally worked out why my test IDs weren't working (Because Apple has bugs in their system) and have successfully sent a Beta to myself... it's a small milestone but it still counts as a win. I'm hoping that 'external' testers don't run into the same issues I've had with the me, myself and I 'internal' testers.

It would be nice to get people to test my App and not Apple's half-baked mods to a system that worked fine before they glued it into their development suite.

Hidden rules of development : Take one step forwards.. and then spend the rest of the afternoon working why you didn't really move and are now standing on one leg, facing backwards with your t-shirt on inside out.
Old 4th Nov 2014, 00:05   #9
BeauchN
Supermodder

BeauchN is a Super Spamming SaiyanBeauchN is a Super Spamming SaiyanBeauchN is a Super Spamming SaiyanBeauchN is a Super Spamming SaiyanBeauchN is a Super Spamming SaiyanBeauchN is a Super Spamming SaiyanBeauchN is a Super Spamming SaiyanBeauchN is a Super Spamming SaiyanBeauchN is a Super Spamming SaiyanBeauchN is a Super Spamming SaiyanBeauchN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'll give it a shot to help out a forum member

BeauchN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2014, 08:00   #10
Pookie
Lest We Forget

Pookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'll help out. I'm using a 6+ here if that is any use?
Fractal R4/ GA-X58A-UD3R / Corsair RM850/ Westmere Xeon X5650 2.66Ghz Hex core / Corsair H60 (2013 Model) with 2 x Corsair SP120 / Corsair Force GT 120 SSD /Sapphire R9 290X / 12GB (3x4GB)Corsair Dominator 1600mhz with Airflow Kit / AOC i2757fm 27" IPS Monitor/ Razer Lachesis.
Rotel RA-02 Amplifier/ B&W DM601 S3/ QED XT350 With Airlock plugs/All QED Interconnects.

http://www.compucare.co.uk/
Pookie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2014, 12:12   #11
julianmartin
resident cyborg.

julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.
I got my testflight invite last week but I've only just had time to open it up - currently saying 0.17 is unavailable so I can't download. Has it been pulled?

Core i7 930||Asus P6X58D-E||12GB XMS3||64GB M4||570GTX||Define R3
julianmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2014, 18:26   #12
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Sorry for pulling 0.17 and not checking back here yesterday, but was traveling for most of the day.

Apple have been a right pain with approving Beta releases. They say they won't need to approve every single version, but for me that's exactly what they're doing and they are...... very.... slow

What this means is the 0.18 version that's just been made live is already a few days out of date compared to the version I'm running here and therefore isn't up to date to be really useful.

Having a 3 or 4 day turnaround for beta releases is horrendous and negates much of the benefit of getting any of you guys to look at it. By the time you say 'This doesn't work' or 'This is too hard' or 'This isn't right on device X' I've worked out a lot of these issues.

Anyway, enjoy 0.18... it's just that 0.19 is even better!
Old 11th Nov 2014, 19:02   #13
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
not even a hint of what it actually does...?
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - Zotac GTX 970 - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2014, 19:20   #14
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeaver View Post
not even a hint of what it actually does...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
It's an entertainment / education / knowledge / achievement / skill / collectable / life gamification app for iOS 8+ devices. Yes, I know that sounds vague, but I'll pass on more details to anyone interested.
PM Incoming
Old 11th Nov 2014, 21:12   #15
yodasarmpit
No longer the other Brett.

yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.
I've been tap tap tapping away, curse you Jen

Just installed on both iPhone 4s and iPad mini, but achievents don't transfer

PS, how would you prefer feedback? In this thread in public, or via PM/email, or alternative?

Cheers
Brett
Old 12th Nov 2014, 10:44   #16
Votick
My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Votick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodasarmpit View Post
I've been tap tap tapping away, curse you Jen

Just installed on both iPhone 4s and iPad mini, but achievents don't transfer

PS, how would you prefer feedback? In this thread in public, or via PM/email, or alternative?

Cheers
Brett
Same Tap Tap Tap...

http://stats.bish.pro/
Votick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2014, 15:15   #17
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Just a quick update

First up, thanks to all who have managed to download it and get it running. Any feedback would be good via email nerineb.badge at gmail.com.

Do be aware the version you're using is by the nature of Apple's systems way out of date by the time you get it (Curse you Apple)

I've had it up to HERE with Apple and the way their beta system works. I have a version of the app 0.19 here I want everyone to have a look at (There's you guys, family and a few friends) but I can't even submit that version for approval without switching off the current version.

Those of you with 0.18 it will still work, but new installs won't work.

I'm rambling... and ranting...

I'm really close to submitting the app to go live in the store and was hoping to actually get it done today but urgent hospital visits for those around me has (again) thrown a spanner in my plans.

I'll switch 0.18 off now (sorry if you didn't have a chance to get it) and keep my fingers crossed Apple can get 0.19 approved this side of Easter!
Old 18th Nov 2014, 14:29   #18
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Another quick update, and repeated thanks to those that installed and tested.

V1.0 of the app has now been submitted for App Store approval. The launch content has been finalised and most typos and crazy glitches should be a thing of the past.

Assuming Apple doesn't come back with any of there customary gotchas, it could be live by the end of the week

So thanks again.
Old Today, 00:33   #19
Guinevere
Mega Mom

The man from Apple. He say yes.

This projects first trip though the notorious app review system went without a hitch

Would have launched today if it were not for me me spending the entire day dealing with hospital stuff and the customary medical emergencies that have been delaying this project all this year.

Software = Easy.
Cancer = A bag of old shite!

View Mode