1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Poplar/Pine Computer Desk - Updates 8/5

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tomclancey, 9 Jul 2011.

1. tomclancey

tomclancey What's a Dremel?

This started out as a desk with an integrated computer but I realized that wouldn't really fit my lifestyle as I travel a lot with my computer, so instead it's a computer desk with a computer module on the side! I've only thus far designed the desk, but the module I think more or less will just be some brackets on the side that the PC will slide on and off of. The case will also be custom made out of 1/2" plywood with lots of finger-joints, everybody loves finger-joints!

Enough text though, pictures time!

Rendering of desk:
    [​IMG]

Monitor arm:
    [​IMG]

Leg support one:
    [​IMG]

Leg support two:
    [​IMG]

Not sure which support design I like better. Or if I'll use one at all. I'm leaning towards the latter though.

Day 1:
    I picked up the lumber and started ripping it down to size today. Only cut two pieces though.
    [​IMG]
    And here are the two halves to one of the leg, ripped down so the beveled edges are gone.
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned for more!

----------------------------

Back with another update!

Mock fitting of the three pieces. I haven't cut the halves to size yet, so they're a bit uneven at the moment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now here's my dilemma, the top groove that the desk sits in, not sure how I should go about cutting that accurately. I've been using a router and jig combination for the leg pieces, but this one is so small/short I'm not sure how I should go about cutting it.

I'm considering cutting it and half, finishing it out with a band-saw then reattaching the two pieces with a dowel screw.

Any ideas are welcome though!

Update!

Got all the legs cut and biscuit slots done. Just need to glue them, which I'll do later tonight! Got the top part of the legs cut too. Dry-fitting completion is imminent!

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Updates!

Went shopping and got all the brackets and bolts I needed.
    [​IMG]

Here are the tools I've used to complete this thus far; that reciprocating saw was invaluable for cutting those grooves on the desk- as was the router!
    [​IMG]

About to start cutting the biscuit grooves for the second leg.
    [​IMG]

About to start gluing! I accidentally cut the 4th groove off on one of the pieces so the biscuit wouldn't fit in. Oh well. Good thing I cut 5 grooves.
    [​IMG]

First leg glued and clamped.
    [​IMG]

Both glued and curing over night!
    [​IMG]

Oh, one more thing. Biscuits!
    [​IMG]

So yeah, got quite a bit done today! Tomorrow I'm hoping to trim the legs down to the 28" height and then attach those C shaped pieces on top. (That's what the desk will fit into).

Stay tuned for more. :)

Mini-update today; legs cured overnight and most of the day. Trimmed them down to size and attached the top desk-groove.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Some more updates!

Finished ripping the 2x8's down to size.
    [​IMG]

The aftermath of the table saw.
    [​IMG]

Got 11/66 of the biscuit joints cut.
    [​IMG]

22/66 and the first half glued!
    [​IMG]

44/66 done. Waiting to be glued as I'm typing this.
    [​IMG]

Lotsa' saw dust for such small cuts!
    [​IMG]

I still have to glue the second half later tonight then get the last 22 biscuits cut sometime tomorrow. Hopefully dry-fitting/assembly will be done Wednesday at the latest![/QUOTE]

Big update! Didn't have access to my computer for a few days, so here's some pictures!

Monday I got each half joined.
    [​IMG]
    Tuesday I joined both together.
    [​IMG]
    Thursday I attached the legs to the bottom of the desk.
    [​IMG]
    The L-brackets. 4 on each leg. It doesn't look like much, but that thing is sturdy.
    [​IMG]
    Saw to chamfer the edges.
    [​IMG]
    Clamp ready to cut!
    [​IMG]
    One side done!
    [​IMG]
    Now the other.
    [​IMG]
    Tada! One pre-stained desk. Haven't totally decided on a color yet. Thinking Red Mahogany though.
    [​IMG]

I'll be doing lots of sanding, pre-staining, staining and thaning' the next couple days. I hope you guys enjoyed it so far! Updates soon-ish.

Updates from here on out won't be this big mass of text! haha
    I posted this on another forum initially, but thought I would share my experiences with you guys! :)

Last edited: 12 Jul 2011
  2. tomclancey

Big-ish update! Got all the pieces sanded and half of them stained. Going to finish the other half today and hopefully start applying the poly!

I decided to go with Early American color from Early Minwax. Turned out a medium dark brown, which is what I was going for! I did use two coats though, as the pre-stain really lightened it up a lot!

The two sanders I used for the bulk of sanding. That belt sender was awesome for evening out the biscuit joins on the table top piece.
    [​IMG]
    Picture of the bottom of the table top curing and half of the two legs.
    [​IMG]
    Left leg.
    [​IMG]
    Right leg.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking! More updates to follow. :)

3. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I love every step of this mod my friend!!! Really nice work and I am now inspired for my new office desks! :)

4. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

This is gonna look great! :thumb:

Btw, Could you drive that white car just a bit further into the garage? :lol:

5. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

I have made a desk or two in my day and one thought occurs to me, besides the fact that it is a good looking desk: as you face the front of the desk, you will have a lot of movement from left to right. You might want to consider gusseting the legs to the desk top.

6. Tokari

Tokari What's a Dremel?

Really looking forward to seeing how this develops.

7. tomclancey

Thanks! And I'm glad I could indirectly help! :)

Thanks!

And I didn't even notice that! haha

Thanks, and I appreciate the advice! I didn't notice too much movement from side-to-side. But when it's all assembled and it somehow got worse, I have some corner braces I have my made that should counter-act it quite nicely. The less I have to add extra to this the better though!

Thanks! :)

Small update today. Got the both legs done with 2 coats all around and the the top side of the tabletop done! Two coats on the top and sides, one on the bottom.

Going to let it sit for overnight and then start putting the poly on! Can't wait, the end is almost here!

After one coat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After two coats!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. tomclancey

Another small update! I got one of the legs coated with poly three times on the underside. Flipped it an applied one coat thus far on the other side. Also put one layer on the other leg. Pictures to follow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. tomclancey

Long time, no posts! Good news though. The desk is done! I finished putting all the coats of poly on and assembled it in the new room!

I'm still in the midst of building the monitor stand (that finger joint jig is obnoxious to build) but for all intents and purposes, it's done!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll have another update in the next few days for the monitor arm. Hopefully.