bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 11th Jul 2011, 11:20   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Steam not listed in Battlefield 3 release plans

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ld-3-release/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 11:36   #2
EvilMerc
Dew Addict

EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Providing they don't do a BF2 and host the patches on servers that can only provide 100KB/s then it might be alright. I won't be downloading the game from Origin though.
EvilMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 11:39   #3
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Would be a shame if it wasnt directly compatable with steam.
It wotn stop me from buying it though, not a chance
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 11:40   #4
Stickeh
Help me , Help you.

Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Going to be buying this on disc- most likely from amazon.
As for origin, i just couldnt trust keeping a games catalog on it....it feels like it may dissapear too easily, i'll just buy the games for cheaper and get real copies!
Old 11th Jul 2011, 11:41   #5
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Translation: We want to keep 100% of the revenue from the inevitable DLC.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 11:47   #6
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Another game to buy later on at budget prices, then.
impar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 11:48   #7
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Seeing as all my gamer friends use Steam I'm starting to wonder if I can be bothered to part with my cash. I'm turning from "wow this game looks hot" to "EA ... yawn".
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 11:58   #8
hrp8600
Modder

hrp8600 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
they can keep 100% of the money they get from me for any DLC.
whats 100% of nothing again ?
hrp8600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 12:07   #9
TheLegendJoe
Syntax error

TheLegendJoe has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheLegendJoe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
butttt, its our choice to use steam? because it makes the gaming experience better by patching as soon as it becomes available, rather than launching the game then patching or trying to join a multiplayer game and finding out you have an old version and having to go Google and download on some horribly slow servers...
| 965BE@3.8Ghz | 12GB G.Skill RAM@ 1,700Mhz | XFX 5850 900/1200Mhz | GA-MA790XT-UD4P | Corsair tx850Watt | Soundblaster 1000watt RMS custom 5.1 system | DS411j 4x3TB* RAID 5 @9TB NAS |1080p40" + 23" 720p |
TheLegendJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 12:10   #10
DeathAwaitsU
I'm Back :D

DeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I only buy from steam these days (cba having 10+ accounts, rather have them all in one place ala steam) so thats a one lost sale at least
Old 11th Jul 2011, 12:17   #11
severard600
What's a Dremel?

severard600 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Umm. Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded View Post
It is what they said. They want to be a able to push through the patches themselves when they want. This is what happened with Crysis 2. The DirectX 11 patch came out and for whatever reason Steam was not sufficient to get this patch though. In this case it seems like EA are actually making sure that gamers get the best experience with their games.
severard600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 12:17   #12
Venares
Minimodder

Venares has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If EA's game plan this year is to alienate as many of there customers as possible, then there doing a darn good job at the moment.
Venares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 12:21   #13
severard600
What's a Dremel?

severard600 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded
Wrong. It is what they said. They want to push patches when they want. This happended with Crysis 2. When the DirectX 11 patch was brought out for whatever reason Steam was not sufficient to push these patches. In response Crysis 2 was pulled from Steam. Tbh, EA is just making sure gamers have the best possible experience with their games by efficiently pushing patches as soon as they are available. This however does not mean that I don't like Steam or love EA or anything. This is a non-biased view
severard600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 12:33   #14
bowman
Supermodder

bowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
****ing, worthless, *****. If they think I am about to sign up for their horseshit 'Origin' service they can stick their head up their ass and think again. **** EA.

It's a real shame a game made by DICE that looks like it'll be this good is going to be ****ing raped by EA before it even gets out the door. First the day-one DLC crap, and now this. I'm done. Who the hell is the guy running the show there? Bobby Kotick's twin brother?
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 12:37   #15
brokenthinker
What's a Dremel?

brokenthinker has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
'Seeing as all my gamer friends use Steam I'm starting to wonder if I can be bothered to part with my cash. I'm turning from "wow this game looks hot" to "EA ... yawn".'

Really? That's all that it would take to put you off of this great PC game? who gives a toss, this game will be immense where ever or whoever you get it from. From a real PC gaming fan.
brokenthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 12:38   #16
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
it's only a different download service, you can still link the shortcut back to your steam account. no biggie IMHO.
Old 11th Jul 2011, 12:46   #17
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenthinker View Post
'Seeing as all my gamer friends use Steam I'm starting to wonder if I can be bothered to part with my cash. I'm turning from "wow this game looks hot" to "EA ... yawn".'

Really? That's all that it would take to put you off of this great PC game? who gives a toss, this game will be immense where ever or whoever you get it from. From a real PC gaming fan.
That must mean I'm not a 'real PC gaming fan' ... wow, ok. Thanks for your input 'real PC gaming fan'.

leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 12:50   #18
fingerbob69
Hypermodder

fingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
EA Origin have yet to discount the 'Vietnam dlc.

It seems to me this will turn out be more an exercise in maintaining first day prices as opposed to giving gamers a more 'full filling' experience.
Antec 902, Asus P6T se, i7-920 D0 oc@3.6ghz, Asaka Nero S, 6gb Corsair, Thermaltake 750w Evo Blue, XFX 4890 + Artic Twin Turbo Pro, Asus Xonar DS, BFG Ageia PhysX, 2x 500gb Seagate HDD, Win7 hp, NEC ea231wmi, MS X4, Cordless Mouseman optical(deceased)..now a Roccat Kova+
fingerbob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 12:50   #19
Centy-face
Caw?

Centy-face has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I probably wasn't going to buy this anyway because Red Orchestra 2 is out 2 months earlier and us real men and women will be playing that but this would certainly put me off getting it later when the price comes down.

Obviously Dice want to do a lot of DLC selling on this one as they couldn't do so easily before without a real central platform like Steam or EADM because both were optional. This time with Origin they have the chance to milk it for every penny and that is one of the major off putting things for me. Well that and Dice saying I and everyone else is far too stupid to work their tool kit.

People really need to face facts that although it's being demoed on the PC it's in it's heart a console experience. The DLC the lack of mods the pre order exclusives. The only reason they are doing any pimping of the PC version is to channel a lot of people onto Origin in a futile and idiotic (given origins lack of content and features) attempt to challenge Valve.

Personally I don't care which download service it's coming out on because I haven't been hit by the hype train. It takes more than ooohing and ahhhing at shiny graphics to make me desire a game. I shall be going with a game that doesn't need to put ability to go prone, dedicated servers and mouse support on the box as it's just expected with a PC game.

I see this losing EA a lot of customers because people are comfy with Steam and given how Origin feels like a cheap copy of Steam with no extra features. People will get irritated at seeing a game they have to create another account with and build another friends list for and just another program that is prone to failing. I say good luck to EA but I think this will just blow up and not work as they wanted, people will resent it and it will just die and then Steam will win again. I wouldn't mind some competition for Steam but at this point it's too late they have too large a control on the market and are light years ahead in features and customer interaction and selling techniques. The house always wins.
Centy-face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2011, 12:51   #20
Centy-face
Caw?

Centy-face has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
it's only a different download service, you can still link the shortcut back to your steam account. no biggie IMHO.
Actually if it's locked into Origin and you can't run the exe independently then you won't be able to do that.
Centy-face is offline   Reply With Quote