bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Jul 2011, 13:49   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
GlobalFoundries prepares Tri-Gate competitor

GlobalFoundries discusses its roadmap, including a move to 3D transistors and gate-last production.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...e-competitor/1
Old 12th Jul 2011, 14:05   #2
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
" How small can we make silicon transistors before they become unmanageable?"
Well, that's an easy one to answer - the lower bound is going to be the size of silicon atoms themselves
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2011, 14:16   #3
Jezcentral
Multimodder

Jezcentral has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So, are we on course for Moore's Law to break down in 2017?
Jezcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2011, 15:17   #4
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
wouldn't happen to have mentioned something like "Triple-Spacer" or "Finfet" now would he?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2011, 15:21   #5
WildThing
Hypermodder

WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nice to see Intel's competition doing something, and thanks Paul for the gate-first vs gate-last explanation, been wanting to read up on that for a while now. Cheers.
Asus P8P67 PRO Intel i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz Titan Fenrir XFX 6950 @ 6970 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 2x Crucial C300 128GB (OS + Games) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Auzentech XFI-Prelude + Creative T7700 7.1 Enermax Liberty 500W Corsair 650D case HP 24" LP2475W Win7 x64
WildThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2011, 16:16   #6
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Last I heard the issues are around 8-10nm and that is about where any current and most theoretical manufacturing techniques are unable to produce a viable transister. So we have at least another 4-6 years before we are at neeing a major "break through" to keep advancing transister size.

The gist I got from the article is basically that "Hi, we are 1-2 years behind Intel, but don't worry, that works for us!"

Most of the time I hear things about using "backwards" technology because you haven't innovated or there is a defect, companies always spin it as a "design feature" or "it gives us X benifit". So 10-20% space savings compared to gate last at 28nm, I doubt that, or if true it is because of your manufacturing technique and the way you are laying out the chips. That or it may be true, but yields are significantly lower for you to change or too much time redesigning the process. Or it may also be true, but transistor performance is lower.

Since Intel and TSMC are doing gate last I don't think they decided to do that for no reason.
Old 12th Jul 2011, 17:10   #7
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks for the write-up Paul!
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2011, 18:48   #8
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love reading all this kind of stuff, even though I'll admit to only understanding about half of it!

I am amazed by the constant shrinking process, even more so when I look back at some of the older PC's I've had over the years. The original Pentium was, I believe, based on an 800nm technology - so to now have 28nm, to be preparing 20nm - and to be talking about 14nm transistors being well underway, I do think it's all pretty amazing.

Just roll out a tape measure to 800mm, then roll it back down to 20mm & 14mm for a visual comparison of scale. It's astonishing what they have been able to achieve in such a short space of time really...
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2011, 04:55   #9
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why is it I suspect they saw Intel's tech announcement and said "oh crap, get to the drawing board ASAP!?"
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2011, 08:06   #10
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj12 View Post
Why is it I suspect they saw Intel's tech announcement and said "oh crap, get to the drawing board ASAP!?"
FinFETs (branded 3D transistors) were originally developed by IBM actually iirc - who GloFo is in a co-operative development relationship.

It was on Ee times I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multigate_device
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2011, 13:33   #11
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
FinFETs (branded 3D transistors) were originally developed by IBM actually iirc - who GloFo is in a co-operative development relationship.

Yup. The AMD-IBM alliance (direct follower of the AMD-Motorola alliance)
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
Old 13th Jul 2011, 13:37   #12
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
That's more along the lines of what I'd like to see around here. Great article and well done Bit!

PS: Paul, do have an aunt named Holly?
Old 13th Jul 2011, 23:49   #13
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post

Yup. The AMD-IBM alliance (direct follower of the AMD-Motorola alliance)
That sounds like a horrid alliance. Thank god I have my Droid X2.
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2011, 11:04   #14
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

The AMD-Motorola Alliance gave you copper-interconnects which led to the break of the 1Ghz barrier.
(while Intel still said...naah Aluminum will do just fine)
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
Old 19th Jul 2011, 02:14   #15
saneblane
What's a Dremel?

saneblane has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
intel may be ahead in lithography but IBM is always ahead in R&D, that company just knows how to conduct themselves. and what they develop is the research they do benefit so many companies and people. amd then their is AMD, the company with the most pioneering chip designs, with the bulldozer arch, we don't even know how to count the cores. this is what happens when competitions is tough, people innovate
saneblane is offline   Reply With Quote