bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Jul 2011, 12:19   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Review

We take a look at Razer's BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard, which is packed with Cherry switches.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/per...imate-review/1
Old 16th Jul 2011, 12:49   #2
jakobfrimmel
Supermodder

jakobfrimmel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i usually like Razer products ..... but from the sound of this review this isnt what i would buy....
Motherboard: Gigabyte 890xA-ud3
RAM: 4gb ddr3 1600 OCZ @1600
jakobfrimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 13:12   #3
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
A keyboard so good, I bought two....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAPTOR-GAMIN.../dp/B000AYB02S

Razer for mice.

Raptor for keyboards.
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 13:20   #4
McSteel
Shape Memory Alloy

McSteel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Steelseries 6Gv2.

Everything else is a gimmick for me... Well, I would've liked to be able to purchase Deck keyboards, but I'll settle for what I can have.
McSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 14:49   #5
SpAceman
Supermodder

SpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Sure for some people the clicking noise can be annoying but if you aren't bothered by it then this keyboard is really nice to use. I have a friend who has one and he loves it.

This is something you will either love or wont be able to stand. Personally I hate the clickyness.
SpAceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 16:13   #6
improprietary
FT03 is a bitch to watercool

improprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
oh please razer and steelseries, make a wireless backlit ergonomic keyboard!
Old 16th Jul 2011, 16:36   #7
Arghnews
Multimodder

Arghnews has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The review seems to really make this 110 keyboard sound like a waste of money. And I completely agree, anyone who spends 110 on a KEYBOARD, to them money is obviously of no concern. Therefore why the hell, if this keyboard is alienating and not worth it's premium price tag, does it get a 12/25 for value. That seems pretty damn high to me, considering most people are happy with keyboards (far) less than half that price that have similiar useful functionality.
Arghnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 17:14   #8
sear
Multimodder

sear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for president
Wait, mechanical keyboards can be loud? Who would have thought! Damn, what's next? Will high-power CPUs require better cooling than low-power ones? What a strange world we live in.
sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 18:06   #9
MSHunter
Mod Master

MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.
Well I have one and its amazing. I think if you can not manage to adapt to the key printing then you shouldn't buy one as the major reasons Razer keyboards are great is (all) keys are programmable and this one is mechanical. Hence if you need to look at your keyboard you will probably not be some one who would use macro's and there fore would be better off with a cheaper membrane keyboard anyway. (yes it takes a while to get used to), but when u need the light any way you cant really see the shift keys...........

Who looks at the keys?
I mean are we not supposed to learn touch typing anyway.......

The actual annoying thing is not the shift keys but the font. It is not standard but (I think its called) Digital.
Either way refer to above statement.
Amp: DENON PMA510AE, Speakers: TANNOY MERCURY F1
MSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 19:15   #10
sstteevveenn
Minimodder

sstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Cherry blues aren't really that loud. It's only a tiny click. I think I'm quieter with them than when I'm smashing my fingers into the desk all the time on other keyboards, although I guess it's possible you hear the click more if someone else is typing. Still, you can get a g80-3000 for 60 so why you would want this monstrosity is beyond me.
sstteevveenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 21:45   #11
Goty
Supermodder

Goty has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I was in the market for a mechanical keyboard not too long ago and chose the XArmor U9BL-S over this Razer because the Razer is made almost entirely out of cheap, shiny plastic. That and the silly font on the keys were a major turnoff, even given the Razer's better price and greater functionality (if you really want to use the programmable keys, that is).
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2011, 02:50   #12
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Have one, love it. You don't run into problems with the key material unless you drag your fingers on the keys, which last I checked isn't exactly the way you're supposed to type..
Old 17th Jul 2011, 04:19   #13
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I disagree 1000% with this review. I've owned 4 different Razer Keyboards and owned the Blackwidow Ultimate since it launched. It is way better than this review makes it out to be. It is one of the best keyboards they make.
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2011, 10:29   #14
rogerrabbits
Banned

rogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
107.99 (inc VAT)

^ I lolled
rogerrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2011, 10:29   #15
KiNETiK
Multimodder

KiNETiK has yet to learn the way of the DremelKiNETiK has yet to learn the way of the DremelKiNETiK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Filco Majestouch cheesecake
KiNETiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2011, 10:44   #16
FvD
What's a Dremel?

FvD has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Snide sounding review lacking in important points.

*Key rollover?
It connects via USB so a maximum of 6 keys pressed, but would have been nice to know if theres a lower bound, since there's no info on the Razer page.

*Ghosting?
Razer states "minimized ghosting".... so what about it?

*Switch type?
50cN actuation force and "loud" could mean MX Blues.
Most people uncommon to mechanical keyboards tend to bottom out the keys and hit the mounting plate, thus producing audible noise.(bad habit from rubber keyboards)
Pulling a cap would have taken 2 minutes and a fork.

You successfully ignored key aspects of a keyboard review and focused solely on "shiny and gimmicky" stuff.

Last edited by FvD; 17th Jul 2011 at 11:00.
FvD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2011, 11:58   #17
the_kille4
Chaos will rule da world.eventually

the_kille4 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You missed the main point of buying a mechanical keyboard. You don't buy one if you are so insistent on sound... then you either buy a cheaper membrane keyboard or a mechanical one which has switches which are quieter.

I play FPS games on my keyboard and I find the texture on the keyboard to be just fine. I do not find it different to other keyboards that I've used. I agree with the reviewer that yes it is loud and the sound gets picked up by my mike. But still the typing experience and the fact that it is backlit far outweighs the cons. If you actually look at the schematics of the switches cherry does manufacture them with an LED, and I assume that it would be much better implemented than if you use one from a membrane keyboard.

Oh and FvD, yes the switches used in the blackwidow keyboards are blue. I agree that if I still tend to bottom out keys so it has the click clack sound but that is still part of the learning curve in using new gadgets. It also has been a long time since I used a mechanical keyboard since the last time I used it was in kindergarten.

But all in all, it is a great keyboard. I love using it and I think it deserves a better score
Speakers: Ceed 682F (Front) | Q Acoustics 2010i (Side) | Q Acoustics 1010i (Rear) | Q Acoustics 1000Ci (Center) | Q Acoustics 1000Si (Sub)
the_kille4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2011, 13:00   #18
Hustler
Hypermodder

Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
108 for a keyboard....you have to be utterly brain dead to pay that much for a Keyboard.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2011, 13:14   #19
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
108 for a keyboard....you have to be utterly brain dead to pay that much for a Keyboard.
Or just be braindead to not understand why mechanical keyboards cost more...

Oh, and for those that care, yes, the Blackwidow uses MX Cherry Blues.
Old 17th Jul 2011, 14:58   #20
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by FvD
Snide sounding review lacking in important points.

*Key rollover?
It connects via USB so a maximum of 6 keys pressed, but would have been nice to know if theres a lower bound, since there's no info on the Razer page.

*Ghosting?
Razer states "minimized ghosting".... so what about it?

*Switch type?
50cN actuation force and "loud" could mean MX Blues.
Most people uncommon to mechanical keyboards tend to bottom out the keys and hit the mounting plate, thus producing audible noise.(bad habit from rubber keyboards)
Pulling a cap would have taken 2 minutes and a fork.

You successfully ignored key aspects of a keyboard review and focused solely on "shiny and gimmicky" stuff.
Razer's is a 2KRO, Blue switch mechanical keyboard.

Which is a failure, since most mechanical keyboards out there support 6KRO over USB (some even NKRO), and NKRO over PS/2.

Blue switches aren't even suited for gaming, brown/black/red are better.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote