bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Jul 2011, 12:36   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
SilverStone explains why the TJ11 is so expensive

At nearly £500, the TJ11 is one of the most expensive cases around. SilverStone tells us why.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...11-is-so-exp/1
Old 25th Jul 2011, 13:55   #2
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Poor production engineering. Or a poor excuse...
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2011, 14:12   #3
Velkro
What's a Dremel?

Velkro has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Rediculous pricing these days.....
Remember these.....?? http://www.trustedreviews.com/Asetek...ipheral_review
now that was a case....a bit ugly yeh but u got all the cooling kit with it..... and they were around the price of a TJ11.....so why pay soooooo much for an empty box?????
Velkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2011, 15:05   #4
lga45
What's a Dremel?

lga45 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Brits are always complaining about the price being too high And bit-tech/custom pc has a tendency to mark down the highest quality hardware on price, give it a low score for "value for money". How do you mark down a new model of a rolls royce on "value for money"? and do you think ppl who consider buying such hardware really care about the odd extra hundred quid here or there? Please remember the old(er) - ahem - adults - who read forums like this, who have good jobs andwho care about quality first of all... price being a secondary consideration for our favourite hobby
lga45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2011, 15:15   #5
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
Value for me is buying good quality and having it stand up to the trials I put a gaming computer through. Buying 3 100€ cases instead of one 250€ one is not wise. Additionally less expensive parts will usually give you poorer performance over the shorter time they work, not at all useful for online combat operations.

Always buy the best and make sure to have a backup monitor, kb and mouse ready to be plugged in if the primary one fails!

S*D
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2011, 15:38   #6
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ah this is bull... make a minified version with same build quality and options for half the price of this monster.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2011, 16:11   #7
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The point is it is a rolls royce. So the value for the dollar is really low. A civic has WAY more value for the dollar than any rolls ever produce. Now if you've got the money, you get a lot more out of that rolls than you do the civic. They'll both get you from point A to point B though. This case isn't an entry level case for a budget build, its a high end case for a high end build (or at least I hope that is what you are doing with it). Almost any market segment, and in particular in consumer electronics and computers, invested dollar has rapidly dimminishing returns. A $1,000 Intel extreme processor does not have 10 times the processing power of a $100 processor (assuming same generation of processor).
Old 25th Jul 2011, 18:11   #8
kzinti1
Multimodder

kzinti1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Actually, the point being, they thought they charged what the market would bear. They found out that they overestimated the present economic situation and now they go to the press, like a bunch of whiny bitches crying about how much more they are worth working the conventions instead of walking the streets, crying and mewling about how much it costs them to barely squeeze out 5 cases a day on the measly pittance that they are asking us rich, round-eyes for, to own one of their dear and precious play pretties.
Which slaves are making these things? Chinese, Vietnamese or the almost never mentioned Japanese slaves? I just looked it up. They're Taiwanese, so that means Chinese slave labour. How many kilo's of rice do you think these cases are actually worth to you, my dear readers? Especially when your rice pilaf is colored with the blood of the downtrodden and oppressed?
Whenever you buy that item with the "Made in China" label, you're financially supporting the system that destroys so many lives, each and every day. As long as you pay the master, the slave will surely suffer and die.
Ain't a "free economy" grand? Enjoy!
kzinti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2011, 18:16   #9
mp3manager
Modder

mp3manager is definitely a rep cheat.mp3manager is definitely a rep cheat.mp3manager is definitely a rep cheat.mp3manager is definitely a rep cheat.mp3manager is definitely a rep cheat.mp3manager is definitely a rep cheat.mp3manager is definitely a rep cheat.mp3manager is definitely a rep cheat.mp3manager is definitely a rep cheat.mp3manager is definitely a rep cheat.mp3manager is definitely a rep cheat.
So...an article discussing the price of something which doesn't actually mention the price of something.
mp3manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2011, 18:44   #10
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3manager
So...an article discussing the price of something which doesn't actually mention the price of something.
The link is on the 1st line, http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-tj11-review/1 but I agree... sloppy writing/editing given that the price/value is up for discussion

It's £474.90 now so you can save a whopping 28 pence... w00t
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2011, 20:27   #11
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lga45
Brits are always complaining about the price being too high
In fairness I think many of us (some of us anyway) get upset not so much at the given price of something, but at the fact that many products simply cost 30-35%+ more here than in other countries - and that's after all taxes have been stripped out and you're comparing the ex. VAT prices. It obviously doesn't happen on all products, but it happens enough to be damned irritating. And not just on hardware, but on software too: stuff that is downloaded (hence no shipping fees) doesn't need translating, and so has absolutely no excuse for the huge mark-up.

That's what winds me up anyway.

I understand your point re: the Rolls Royce analogy, that value is obviously a subjective thing with diminishing returns the higher up the scale you go, but even with a Rolls Royce you can still compare values. You can't fairly compare it to a Honda Civic like azazel suggested, but you can compare it to similar class cars: a Bentley, a Mercedes S-Class, a Maybach 57 etc. If the Rolls cost £285k, with the Bently £133k, the S-Class £165k and the Mayback £280k, then you can look at it and say the Rolls is dear, but it's reasonably priced compared to the competition - whereas if it cost, say £585k, you can say it's bad value for money full stop - even for a high-end luxury product with an expected premium.

I think Bit-tech are right to include value scores - people can easily enough look at the other scoring criteria and decide whether it's worth the premium to them...
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2011, 20:32   #12
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
All that effort into making somthing someone is going to take a Dremel to
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2011, 20:50   #13
SlowMotionSuicide
Come Hell or High Water

SlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for president
At the end of the day, this case is ugly, out of proportions and full of useless gimmicks. It has nothing on clean lines and functional simplicity of TJ07. Just look at the Murderboxes, one can't possibly imagine a beautifully thought out and elegant system built into a trash dump like TJ11.
Old 25th Jul 2011, 20:59   #14
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
This case isn't an entry level case for a budget build, its a high end case for a high end build (or at least I hope that is what you are doing with it).
The issue is, they missed the "high end" price level altogether. Sorry for using german euro prices as a base for comparison, but i find hard to find UK shops which sell all the stuff i'm going to compare.

TJ11B-W with window is 559,90 EUR, while Lian Li PC-V2120X Big-Tower is 399 euros and Lian Li PC-X2000FB TYR - 379 euros ? True, they don't have a window, but does a 160-180 euro price bonus really justifies that ?

Simply, Silverstone overestimated what people will and can buy (or justify to buy), and now dislikes that their sales are not where they expected it to be.

Dear Silverstone, if it is so hard to produce, so expensive to produce, maybe it is time to create TJ11L aka Lite. Use the older, cheaper technology, use single layer panels etc etc...

Get the price down to the usual high end case price range (300-400 euros max), and you will get customers. At 500+ euro price range, you will whine why customers aren't buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionSuicide View Post
At the end of the day, this case is ugly, out of proportions and full of useless gimmicks. It has nothing on clean lines and functional simplicity of TJ07. Just look at the Murderboxes, one can't possibly imagine a beautifully thought out and elegant system built into a trash dump like TJ11.
You know, the most ugliest part of the case is that hole in middle. I mean, seriously ?
Old 25th Jul 2011, 22:29   #15
zoom314
Multimodder

zoom314 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's a Nice case and all, But way too expensive for Me, All I can afford in March 2012 is to supplement My old HAF-932 case with a Danger Den 3x360 radiator enclosure(CAS-EX10-2), I'm saving for a possible move.
zoom314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2011, 23:15   #16
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
It's a nice and well equipped case. Is it worth over £400? Not to me, but I can see that to some people it would be.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2011, 23:37   #17
Big Elf
I am even more invisible than usual

Big Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I looked at getting one but the price and reversed motherboard among other things put me off. I didn't think I'd be getting £500 worth of case. I also looked at the Mountain Mods, Little Devils and XSPC H2 then got a Case Labs instead.
Case Labs TH10│Asus Rampage III Extreme│Core i7 990X 4.6GHz│24GB Corsair Dominator GT 1964MHz│NVIDIA GTX580 Tri-SLI│Crucial M4 128GB x 2│Samsung Momentus 2TB x 2│SeaSonic P1000W│EK Supremacy│EK FC-RE3│EK FC-580 GTX x 3│EK-RAM Dominator│Black Ice SR-1 480 x 3Swiftech 35X2
Big Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2011, 23:48   #18
zoom314
Multimodder

zoom314 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Elf View Post
I looked at getting one but the price and reversed motherboard among other things put me off. I didn't think I'd be getting £500 worth of case. I also looked at the Mountain Mods, Little Devils and XSPC H2 then got a Case Labs instead.
Me too, at least on the first two as I needed a case that could hold 2 psus and do water cooling too, But when one is disabled and receiving SSI-D(Supplemental Security Income - Disability here in the USA), It would take Me a while before I could buy it, so it's the less expensive route for Me to just buy an add-on case instead.
zoom314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2011, 23:59   #19
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd223 View Post
Poor production engineering. Or a poor excuse...
Yup or they just don't care about the price

BTW sandblasting and anodizing don't take that long if you do it right
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2011, 01:39   #20
metarinka
I *am* a Dremel

metarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysis
as a manufacturing engineer, it sounds like they came out wrong in their processes. Usually their sales folks will set a target market price the engineers would try to hit. Some of it might be the cost of tooling, but I doubt it could be that big of a difference.

All I can say is they probably screwed the pooch on the manufacturing end. 1/10th the build time is way off base, unless it was completely hand-built or offered revolutionary performance.

Also whatever happened to those phase changers, at those prices it would be neat to see a phase change unit again. I remember thinking "whoah" when I saw the vapochill back in the day... now the case seems dated and the concept dead as you can hit 4ghz on air.
metarinka is offline   Reply With Quote