bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Jul 2011, 10:49   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
THQ: No more Red Faction games

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...action-games/1
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 11:01   #2
Apocalypso
Fully armed and operational.

Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Unsurprising it sold poorly considering they turned an excellent sandbox game in to a generic corridor shooter.
Apocalypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 11:06   #3
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
They totally turned me off Armageddon as soon as they announced it wasn't open world.

The fun of destruction is completely ruined if you can't go past old areas and see your handiwork.
Old 28th Jul 2011, 11:53   #4
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't really care about the Red Faction franchise as such, but I hope they put the destructible environments from Guerilla in other games, it was pretty awesome.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 12:20   #5
EdwardTeach
Multimodder

EdwardTeach has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It was poorly marketed compared to the much worse homefront. Seems like they just kind of gave up on the series.
Intel Core i7 930, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, Asus ATI Radeon HD 5850, Patriot Viper 6GB, Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB, Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB, Corsair HX 750W, Fractal Design Define R2 Midi Tower Case - Silver Arrow
EdwardTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 12:21   #6
snootyjim
Ineptimodder

snootyjim has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The stupid thing is, RF2 didn't have particularly destructible environments. The later games took that aspect and turned it to 11, to the detriment of every other aspect.

I'm not surprised they didn't do well. Should've just started with a completely new concept to be honest, it didn't have much to do with the original RF series.
snootyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 12:32   #7
Parge
Bit-Sec

Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.
Phew.

Now Volition can focus on making Freespace 3!
Old 28th Jul 2011, 14:16   #8
Kiytan
Shiny

Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
woah, woah, woah Guillermo Del toro is helping with inSane? HELL YES, he has a serious knack for making some truly terrifying stuff.
Kiytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 14:19   #9
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
as soon as they turn to third person with a crappy control feel, they've lost it.

Red Faction 1 was classic. i played it before HL1, and felt it's better than HL1!
Old 28th Jul 2011, 14:43   #10
LatinSpirit
Multimodder

LatinSpirit can run CrysisLatinSpirit can run CrysisLatinSpirit can run CrysisLatinSpirit can run CrysisLatinSpirit can run CrysisLatinSpirit can run CrysisLatinSpirit can run CrysisLatinSpirit can run CrysisLatinSpirit can run CrysisLatinSpirit can run CrysisLatinSpirit can run Crysis
As soon as I saw they were adding aliens into it, I knew they were going to ruin it. What a shame, I loved the RF series. Rest In (Destructable) Pieces....
I'm looking for a new job in King's Lynn, Norfolk. PM if you can help.
LatinSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 15:48   #11
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu View Post
as soon as they turn to third person with a crappy control feel, they've lost it.
'Tis sadly the truth.
Quote:
Red Faction 1 was classic. i played it before HL1, and felt it's better than HL1!
However... Go wash your mouth with soap right this instant!

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 16:46   #12
Redd13
Minimodder

Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Yet another company doesnt understand what people enjoyed about their games, ruin their concept with a poorly related sequel and then blame poor sales on the franchise demise.
Redd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 17:49   #13
OCJunkie
OC your Dremel too

OCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh good seems they finally got the point. That's what they get for ruining a good semi-sandbox FPS franchise into a third-person corridor dumbass simulator. THQ's been making junk.
Gaming: CM 690 II A / XFX Pro850 XXX / GB 990FXA-UD3 / X4 955BE @3.8GHz - Hyper 212+ / 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 / XFX HD 6950 2GB - Twin Turbo Pro / OCZ Agility 3 60GB / WD Black 640GB & Green 1TB / 3x Acer 23in @5760x1080 Eyefinity
Media: Ultra Aluminus / Corsair TX750 / GB MA790X-UD4 / X2 7750BE @3GHz - Freezer64 Pro / 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC 1066 / HD 4670 1GB / WD Blue 320GB + Green 1TB & 1.5TB / Samsung 40in HDTV / Samsung HW-C560S / Harmony 300
OCJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 18:15   #14
sear
Multimodder

sear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoca1yps0
Unsurprising it sold poorly considering they turned an excellent sandbox game in to a generic corridor shooter.
I always like it when developers pay for publishers' mistakes.
sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 19:03   #15
karx11erx
Multimodder

karx11erx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sear,

I have been talking with a Volition rep in their forums. It was Volition's decision to make this game the way it was, and particularly to only offer a 3rd person view. I found the reasons for this decision (those they chose to reveal to me) questionable, but it was their project after all ...
Old 28th Jul 2011, 19:05   #16
RedFlames
Bringer of Meh

RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parge View Post
Now Volition can focus on making Freespace 3!
i hope not... they'll [thq more than volition] only mess it up...

RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 19:55   #17
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Yea, the 4th game of the series did take a turn for the crappy. Became more about rock hammering your way through mobs of aliens than rock hammering your way through rocks, buildings, PEOPLE!
I5-750 @ 4GHz - MSI P55-GD65 - 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX 680 2GB - 1 Western Digital Black 1TB - 2 Western Digital Green 2TB - 700W Silverstone PSU - H50 Water Cooling Unit - Win7 64-Bit - Logitech G400 - Cooler Master QuickFire Pro MX Brown - Steelseries Icemat V2 - Blue Microphone Snowball - Logitech C920 Webcam
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2011, 00:38   #18
sear
Multimodder

sear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by karx11erx
sear,

I have been talking with a Volition rep in their forums. It was Volition's decision to make this game the way it was, and particularly to only offer a 3rd person view. I found the reasons for this decision (those they chose to reveal to me) questionable, but it was their project after all ...
Really?

I take my word back then. It's a shame it didn't work out for them, but I can't say the decision wasn't ill-advised.
sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2011, 13:02   #19
ccxo
On top of a hill

ccxo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ccxo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ccxo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ccxo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ccxo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ccxo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ccxo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ccxo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ccxo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ccxo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ccxo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If THQ wants to make money with red faction go back to the forumula of the first game, add massive amounts of destruction and it will sell, people want a large destructable sandbox.
ccxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2011, 13:12   #20
Dwarfer
Banned

Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
They lost the plot converting it from a very popular FPS to a boring 3rd FPS with endless boring antics
Dwarfer is offline   Reply With Quote