bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd Aug 2011, 07:49   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Everise Variable Speed Rotary Tool Review

Can this 23 rotary tool match the legendary Dremel without breaking the bank?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-tool-review/1
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 08:13   #2
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
LOL... Talk about timing, I was searching for a Dremel or something to do some small mods to my CM690... U guys read my mind... lol
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / Noctua NH-U12P SE2 / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / AMD HD7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 08:42   #3
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
It's exactly the same tool sold with a number of brands. It gets the job done, but is noisier and not as refined as the real thing. Also the bits that come with these cheapo tools are largely rubbish, so if you're on a tight budget, get one of these tools, but use higher quality Dremel cutting disks etc.

My 2cents.

(for the record I own the 4000, 300, Trio and also a generic rotary tool identical to this one...)

Last edited by Jipa; 2nd Aug 2011 at 08:58.
Jipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 08:51   #4
mpr
Multimodder

mpr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love my Dremel kit... It looks like these bits can be used with a Dremel which could save on cost? Not that the Dremel stuff is that expensive.
mpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 09:09   #5
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Have you tried unscrewing the black plastic protector thingy between the tool and the collet?
On my dremel-clone it revealed the typicel thread for the flexible shaft.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 09:15   #6
[WP@]WOLVERINE
Supermodder

[WP@]WOLVERINE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel[WP@]WOLVERINE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Personally i would never use any of the cheapo knockoffs ive tried a couple and they are just not up to par. When it comes to tools its always better to pay a bit more and get tools that last for years. My 400D is an awesome piece of kit that i couldnt live without. So if you ask me id say -Dont be cheap get the real deal
Intel i7 980X EE | 6gb HyperX 2ghz DDR3 | Asus P6T Deluxe OC Palm ed | Asus 7950 DCII | Corsair HX1000 | SB X-Fi Fatality | 5.1tb storage+2xX25M 80gb SSD | Lian Li pc201 | 3xBenQ G2420HDB@Eyefinity | Ms Natural 4000 | Corsair M60 | Logitech Z-5450.
[WP@]WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 09:17   #7
andersson.j
Minimodder

andersson.j has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've had a few of those cheaper ones. They usually don't last long and are very weak.

Also dremel is way overrated! Check out the Proxxon IB/E instead.
andersson.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 09:20   #8
Digi
The not-so-funny Cockney

Digi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run Crysis
I never got the hype of these tools. What can they do that you can't do with hammer and chisel or hacksaw and butter knife? Tsk.

(yes I just haven't used one..)

A member of a mystical group of master-gamers. Find them hiding at www.tunedgaming.co.uk
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 09:40   #9
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Jeez you know you're on a geeks site when it starts reviewing rotary tools....Still I'm interested and thanks!
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 09:59   #10
DarkFear
Supermodder

DarkFear has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have a sudden urge to try and spray my kinda-similar ugly, gray dremel knockoff lime green now....
DarkFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 10:15   #11
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
Have you tried unscrewing the black plastic protector thingy between the tool and the collet?
On my dremel-clone it revealed the typicel thread for the flexible shaft.
Yep, we mentioned this in the review - sadly this thread wasn't compatible with the Dremel Flexible shaft we have.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 10:15   #12
andrew8200m
Not quite with it...

andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.
Sweet! Looks like buying custompc is not needed anymore given that pretty much all reviews in the mag end up on bit-tech the minute the mag gets superceeded with the following months.

Its a good review though so ill try not to derail too much.
andrew8200m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 10:15   #13
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1
Jeez you know you're on a geeks site when it starts reviewing rotary tools....Still I'm interested and thanks!
We'll take that as a compliment!
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 11:02   #14
confusis
Kiwi-modder

confusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysis
Bought a similar one (as a previous person mentioned, they make this model for multitudes of brands)
6 months of sporadic use: dry solder joints caused unit to fail.. resoldered myself.
6 more months - motor burnt out.

Word of warning
confusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 11:22   #15
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusis View Post
Bought a similar one (as a previous person mentioned, they make this model for multitudes of brands)
6 months of sporadic use: dry solder joints caused unit to fail.. resoldered myself.
6 more months - motor burnt out.

Word of warning
Then again, atleast mine came with a 3 year warranty, so what's the big deal?
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 11:27   #16
Risky
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Risky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youRisky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youRisky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youRisky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youRisky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youRisky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youRisky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youRisky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youRisky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youRisky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youRisky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Miight pick one up for occasional use as my dremel is at the other end of the country.
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 11:51   #17
mpr
Multimodder

mpr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1
They're amazing for case modding... and it doesn't hurt that you can justify the purchase to the missus (or mister) as a valuable tool for the entire house... Show the wife you can polish jewlery and cupboard trim... WIN!
mpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 11:52   #18
[WP@]WOLVERINE
Supermodder

[WP@]WOLVERINE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel[WP@]WOLVERINE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi View Post
I never got the hype of these tools. What can they do that you can't do with hammer and chisel or hacksaw and butter knife? Tsk.

Try doing this with a hammer, chisel and hacksaw......
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5599/800s19.jpg
Intel i7 980X EE | 6gb HyperX 2ghz DDR3 | Asus P6T Deluxe OC Palm ed | Asus 7950 DCII | Corsair HX1000 | SB X-Fi Fatality | 5.1tb storage+2xX25M 80gb SSD | Lian Li pc201 | 3xBenQ G2420HDB@Eyefinity | Ms Natural 4000 | Corsair M60 | Logitech Z-5450.
[WP@]WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 12:17   #19
zr_ox
Whooolapoook

zr_ox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Can we see pictures of the tests?

The review seems more like an evaluation of the device based on the accessories and feel vs it's ability to actually perform? Do you not also need a reference product to be able to assign a value?
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 12:24   #20
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by [WP@
WOLVERINE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi View Post

Try doing this with a hammer, chisel and hacksaw......
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5599/800s19.jpg
And its beautiful... Great work
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / Noctua NH-U12P SE2 / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / AMD HD7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote