bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd Aug 2011, 11:22   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Adobe launches preview of Flash alternative

Adobe has launched a preview of an HTML5-based alternative to Flash.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...-alternative/1
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 11:36   #2
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
RIP Flash, you can't die sooner.

now, where can i find a HTML5 blocker? soon, websites will be full of flashy HTML5 adverts.
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 11:40   #3
Pooeypants
Minimodder

Pooeypants has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They don't exist so good luck with that. Long live flash!
Pooeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 12:14   #4
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hope adblock has no trouble blocking edge as it does flash ads
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 12:16   #5
SaNdCrAwLeR
Multimodder

SaNdCrAwLeR has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
if you block HTML5, you block a website...
this'll be bad in that aspect :P
unless someone comes up with the very nice idea of an <ad> tag... :P
ah well, it'll be awesome for ad companies at least!
SaNdCrAwLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 14:32   #6
atlas
Minimodder

atlas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ya personally I really like flash, youtube has been so crappy since they changed. I so seldom have any issues with flash. I really feel the flash hatred is just apply fanboy hype.
atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 14:33   #7
atlas
Minimodder

atlas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
apply=Apple
atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 15:26   #8
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
As long as i keep getting my Flash games to play at lunch, I'll be happy.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 17:14   #9
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
There's only one Flash alternative and thats Garcia Hotspur, if the universe needs a saviour he's the man.
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 17:37   #10
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The problem I have with Flash is that it has just got too resource hungry. Flash games are a prime example. A full screen view of some of the Flash based FB games causes some serious slow down at times and that is running it on an i7 920 with 6GB and a GTX460.
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 23:37   #11
barndoor101
Bring back the demote thread!

barndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysis
Ive been playing around with this the last 2 days at work, as a program it reminds me of the early versions of Flash (ie where you could only work in the timeline, and with tweens etc).

I wish people would lay off Flash - you will never be able to do some of the stuff you can in Flash with HTML5. Most bad experiences with Flash are because of crap programming - nothing Adobe can really do about that, just like Apple cant do anything about crap programming on mobile devices etc. Wait for HTML5/js to become more used, and watch the complaints come in about shoddy code.
barndoor101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 01:05   #12
dyzophoria
Supermodder

dyzophoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
lol, its a nice start, Im always amazed at people who hate flash "too much". to the point like its the plague, its either you are viewing a website created in 100% full screen flash (which is stupid) or you you are just one of those "uh oh xxx said this about flash so... **** flash", but quite frankly there are alot of instances were flash is still a better option than html5/javascript atm. and lol at FB games. I think its a tradeoff, deliver content fast but there is always a catch, it wont be technically that optimized to be running at smooth as silik speeds (for now that is) and what barndoor101 mentioned, most problems with flash sites are the ones who program it. im gonna put a big bet on that
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 16:19   #13
fata1_666

fata1_666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
looks good intersing to see if it takes off
fata1_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 16:45   #14
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndoor101 View Post
Ive been playing around with this the last 2 days at work, as a program it reminds me of the early versions of Flash (ie where you could only work in the timeline, and with tweens etc).

I wish people would lay off Flash - you will never be able to do some of the stuff you can in Flash with HTML5. Most bad experiences with Flash are because of crap programming - nothing Adobe can really do about that, just like Apple cant do anything about crap programming on mobile devices etc. Wait for HTML5/js to become more used, and watch the complaints come in about shoddy code.
Unfortunately true.

Another big problem is DRM. Regardless of what we think/want, all legitimate content providers will want to DRM their web videos - and currently the two popular ways of doing that is Flash and Silverlight. Even Google recently stated they don't currently see a way to DRM HTML5 videos.

I'm just glad that non-essential Flash use is on the decline. No, you don't need to use Flash just to make a content slider...