bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd Aug 2011, 12:25   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Euclideon promises unlimited graphical detail

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...aphical-deta/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 12:26   #2
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
SOUNDS LEGIT. Give me a tech demo that I can run on my PC and I might believe it, they've shown nothing so far that can't be faked.

We already have a discussion going in Hardware about this, just FYI
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 12:28   #3
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My only problem with this video is the awful voice over.
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 12:30   #4
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
100,000 is a pretty big numbah..
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 12:33   #5
douglatins
Minimodder

douglatins has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"They depend on stancing because every distinct model requires several dozen MB of storage. This is and has always been the biggest drawback to voxel rendering. You might be able to "find" the correct voxel in an blink, and you might only need find 1920x1080 voxels to make the picture, but the billions of voxels required to represent a voxel made scene decently still have to be stored somewhere.

So... they cheat. They put the same models over and over and generate some things procedurally, which is not a bad thing to do on it's own, but is not related with their tech at all and it's just bypassing the real problem with voxel rendering. Using procedural methods, you could generate the same detail and randomness with polys, and definately when applying tesselation. What you can't do that way is to create the complex, unique snd varied scenery that we are used to see in modern games.

Quite literally everyone in the gaming industry is researching/has researched voxel rendering and literally all who did have abandoned it or delayed it to 2016 ++. Unlimited Detail is just a hoax or a scam. They are doing voxel rendering and doing it pretty fast according to them... well I'm not even going to try and refute that claim, there's over 50 other voxel renderers out there capable of similar performance (though most use the GPU), already with proper real time demos and proper papers and also patents. None of which UD has shown. It doesn't matter, none of the others are suitable for real time today and neither is UD. "

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...&postcount=237
douglatins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 12:34   #6
VeNoM JaCKaL
L4D2 nom nom time!

VeNoM JaCKaL has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Posted it in the Forum this morning xD keep up people xD.

Well maybe itís just the child inside or me not thinking rationally but I really hope that this idea comes to fruition as it would revolutionise the gaming industry. Whatever artists really what to create in terms of their visions will no longer be hampered by the technical restrictions anymore.
Gaming Machine | Intel Q6600 | Corsair Hydro H50 | Asus Striker Extreme | 4GB OCZ ReaperX HPC 1066Mhz |BFG GTX 260 OCX Maxcore | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 1TB WD Green | 2TB WD Green | 2TB Hitachi | Be Quiet 1200W | Hiper Annubis | Logitech Z-10 | Logitech Sphere Webcam| Logitech G25| Enermax Auroua | Razer Deathadder | Razer Destructor| Dell G2410 | Steam Profile
VeNoM JaCKaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 12:35   #7
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
That voice-over guy is awesome - I wonder what would happen if you just gave him a LemSip?! Interesting technology, although the major reservation I have is the amount of identical objects shown off in the demo. They may indeed show off hundreds of thousands of 'atoms', but this isn't really a big deal if they're all the same - you just instance loads of the same model. If they can do the same thing with lots of different-looking models, then that would really be something.
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 12:44   #8
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
douglatins
So it is Voxels then. First thing I thought when I read this. Why aren't they calling them voxels?
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 12:50   #9
blohum
Minimodder

blohum has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
+1 to that!
blohum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 12:58   #10
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really hope this is legit because all the flaws the video has pointed out with poly rendering have annoyed me for a long time now. Also if decent physics are implemented into the engine that would be great.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 13:03   #11
west
Minimodder

west has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
whats that saying, the one about being too good to be true? ....
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 13:43   #12
edzieba
Supermodder

edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.
Note that everything that they've shown so far has been entirely static. Nothing moves (though they're careful to always keep the camera in constant motion to make it less obvious). Not too great for a game engine.
I've seen real-time-rendered voxel engines with on-the-fly geometry modification (e.g. Atomontage) but they're usually of a lower resolution. To have both at once, you need faster processors and MUCH MUCH more storage bandwidth.
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 14:16   #13
DbD
Supermodder

DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I think they are working on the wrong thing here. Polygon detail is not the major problem facing most games. From a static scene point of view the biggest improvements seem to be with lighting these days. That's not to say a few more polygons wouldn't be good, but there are lots of ways around that - normal mapping, displacement mapping, tessellation.

However the current challenges are more to do making stuff move and interact better. e.g. destructible environments, and animation (realistic faces and body movement).
DbD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 14:22   #14
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Anyone else notice there were exactly no shadows in any of the test videos?

I'd love to see how they calculate how a billion voxels would interact with a dozen moving light sources.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 14:30   #15
Madness_3d
Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
This is the perfect logical next step in CG, Polygons have had their days numbered for a while now. If these guys get it right, they could become mega rich
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 14:40   #16
Christopher N. Lew
Folding in memory of my father

Christopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for president
Maybe I'm in a minority, but I want my games to look like computer games, not like real life. I think the difficulty is that something that looks almost but not quite 'real' is more disturbing (and disappointing) that something that is clearly made up.
Christopher N. Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 14:41   #17
Gigglebyte
:3

Gigglebyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
+1 he does sound like your typical voice over for parody videos... in my opinion.
Gigglebyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 14:47   #18
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglatins
"They depend on stancing because every distinct model requires several dozen MB of storage. This is and has always been the biggest drawback to voxel rendering. You might be able to "find" the correct voxel in an blink, and you might only need find 1920x1080 voxels to make the picture, but the billions of voxels required to represent a voxel made scene decently still have to be stored somewhere.

So... they cheat. They put the same models over and over and generate some things procedurally, which is not a bad thing to do on it's own, but is not related with their tech at all and it's just bypassing the real problem with voxel rendering. Using procedural methods, you could generate the same detail and randomness with polys, and definately when applying tesselation. What you can't do that way is to create the complex, unique snd varied scenery that we are used to see in modern games.

Quite literally everyone in the gaming industry is researching/has researched voxel rendering and literally all who did have abandoned it or delayed it to 2016 ++. Unlimited Detail is just a hoax or a scam. They are doing voxel rendering and doing it pretty fast according to them... well I'm not even going to try and refute that claim, there's over 50 other voxel renderers out there capable of similar performance (though most use the GPU), already with proper real time demos and proper papers and also patents. None of which UD has shown. It doesn't matter, none of the others are suitable for real time today and neither is UD. "

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...&postcount=237
What are your credentials? I mean you say it doesn't work and we should believe you why? I always question everything. I will believe UD when I see it in a modern game but I don't automatically dismiss it because you come along and say it doesn't work.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 15:08   #19
Gigglebyte
:3

Gigglebyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher N. Lew View Post
Maybe I'm in a minority, but I want my games to look like computer games, not like real life. I think the difficulty is that something that looks almost but not quite 'real' is more disturbing (and disappointing) that something that is clearly made up.
I agree, to me the majority of games I play are for me to "escape" reality and indulge in something different. Sure a realistic game could be graphically enjoyable but I won't get the same escapism factor.
Gigglebyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 15:09   #20
Lazy_Amp
Entry AMD Engineer

Lazy_Amp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So I'm interested, and of course we aren't going to see anything out of it for... well 2 years optimistically. I'm interested in how they do the textures, are they simply coloring each 'atom'/voxel object to match where a texture would normally be plastered over? I'm also interested in 'procedural destruction', I guess it would be called, where these hollow voxel object can be cut or broken and fill in the pieces, that would be a major improvement over the "Cover in smoke/replace with broken model" approach to destruction.

According to the video description they have animation in the works, so if they show that and their improved shader off in the next month, I'd be very impressed. Drop a Physics engine on that and they probably will get quite a few sales.
Lazy_Amp is offline   Reply With Quote