bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Aug 2011, 10:51   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
EA's Origin to delete inactive accounts

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ive-accounts/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 10:52   #2
Flanananagan
Modder

Flanananagan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hahahahaha.
gg EA, gg.
Flanananagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 10:58   #3
Venares
Minimodder

Venares has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yet one more reason to stay FAR FAR FAR away.
Venares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 10:59   #4
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
with inability to combine 2 accounts, it really is bull.
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:07   #5
Blanx3_Bytex
Multimodder

Blanx3_Bytex has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I dont see why this is a problem actually, I mean if you havent touched your games in 2 years, then you probably never will.
Not being able to combine accounts is much more of a problem, and the store only selling EA games is by far the worst aspect of the service, and that is what will turn customers away.
Blanx3_Bytex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:13   #6
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
DragunovHUN stated this way back on 17 July.

Actually, in my mind this kind of constitutes theft, but I'm sure things like that do not apply to the likes of EA.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:16   #7
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They can put what they like in their terms of service. It doesnt make it legal though. I would bet that if you really wanted to, you could take them to court and overturn those terms of service to either get a new account created with the same entitlements, or get compensation for deleting the account.
The question is if anyone will be bothered to do that, I would bet it isnt worth the effort if the games are over 2 years old.
Such a shame that BF3 isnt available on steam(unless the position has recently changed)
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:21   #8
benji2412
Has an Avatar avatar

benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanx3_Bytex
I dont see why this is a problem actually, I mean if you havent touched your games in 2 years, then you probably never will.
Not being able to combine accounts is much more of a problem, and the store only selling EA games is by far the worst aspect of the service, and that is what will turn customers away.
While I agree that if you've not been on for two years then you never will, EA shouldn't be allowed to do this. Imagine that you only buy BF3 on Origin (which I will be doing if it doesn't come out on steam) and after two or so years you decide to play it again.....Wait you can't. We all pick up games we've not played after a few years and have a go, like theme hospital. Granted these were from before digital platforms like steam, but they shouldn't be allowed to do it. They must have a reason for this stipulation and the question is, would they actually delete these accounts on the dot after 24 months or if its something to do with server traffic etc?
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:25   #9
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
As I said on dragons thread you only have to login to your account once every two years and you have secured your account and people will probably have bought other games as time goes by so the account will most likely be in use anyways.

It's not a big ask, although I do agree this stipulation is kinda pointless.
CrapBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:29   #10
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
How on earth is it theft?
In steam's terms and conditions it says they can close your account at any time as far as I'm aware don't they?
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:29   #11
hrp8600
Modder

hrp8600 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This sort of thing will not help them sell Origin to people.
I don't like it already.
hrp8600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:35   #12
Astatine
What's a Dremel?

Astatine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This sounds evil, but Ts and Cs are written by lawyers. They're all written evil (see the stuff in the Steam ones, as someone above pointed out.)

The difference is that -- for the majority of people -- Steam don't *behave* evil, rather they're an excellent service that many of us are happy to use.

It remains to be seen whether EA will behave evil or not, and that's not something you can tell by reading legalese. Judging by their enthusiasm in shutting down online services for 2-year-old games, I'm suspicious.
Astatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:36   #13
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hey Joe, don't you check our gaming section for news anymore?

It's not theft, you agree to their conditions when you sign up. I'd like to point out that it's not the same thing as Steam's TOS either, as Origin states that your entitlements will expire and addition to that, your account might get closed, while Steam just might terminate your stuff.

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:36   #14
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm View Post
How on earth is it theft?
In steam's terms and conditions it says they can close your account at any time as far as I'm aware don't they?
Who said Valve isn't in a position to steal as well... That still doesn't make it right.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:40   #15
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
It's still not theft?
And I never mentioned whether it was right/wrong
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:46   #16
CrazyJoe
Ultramodder

CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Couple of weeks late to the party I see, they've already responded.

Plus EADM had a clause saying you only had 1 year to download your games and yet nothing happened.

Also, already mentioned but we've been talking about this in the forums for the last 2 weeks...
CrazyJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:49   #17
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoe View Post
Couple of weeks late to the party I see, they've already responded.
That still doesn't look credible.

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:51   #18
CrazyJoe
Ultramodder

CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN View Post
That still doesn't look credible.
If they come back to BT with the same I hope you will say the same thing.
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:53   #19
earlydoors
Hypermodder

earlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysis
graphical detail is over 9000
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:54   #20
CrazyJoe
Ultramodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlydoors View Post
graphical detail is over 9000
Try this thread.