bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Aug 2011, 11:51   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Sapphire Pure Black P67 Hydra Review

A P67 board that's full of features, but can they justify its high price?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mot...hydra-review/1
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 12:49   #2
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Wow...
a very dissappointing show, especially at that pricepoint
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 13:07   #3
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The idea to have the onboard reset button act as a HDD activity indicator is novel, and good, IMO. I like knowing what my HDD is doing, even if I've got the system out on the bench. Pity about the rest of it.
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 13:23   #4
[ZiiP] NaloaC
I Mod, Therefore I Own

[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
POST code readout is nothing new. Always a nice feature though, helped me with several installation issues with my EVGA x58 SLI LE board.
Sui Generis: i7 920, Corsair H50, 6GB Dominator C7 1600, EVGA x58 SLI LE, Corsair F3 120GB SSD & Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Samsung F3 1TB x 2, Sapphire R9 290, Corsair HX850W, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Iiyama 26" Prolite, Logitech G15, Logitech G5, Sennheiser PC350.
[ZiiP] NaloaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 14:35   #5
tozsam
Multimodder

tozsam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
but a post code readout that transforms into a CPU temp readout is, as far as I know, unique
tozsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 16:43   #6
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Well, they messed up calling it pure black, the blue bits should be dark grey or black & there should be no red sata ports .
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 18:03   #7
DeX
Mube Codder

DeX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What are the two 6Gb/s SATA controllers and what explains their difference in performance?
DeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 18:57   #8
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tozsam
but a post code readout that transforms into a CPU temp readout is, as far as I know, unique
Nah I've had one for ages on one of my motherboards... Or two.
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 19:29   #9
b1candy
What's a Dremel?

b1candy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So you didn't test the Hydra software or the results for multiple GPU slots occupied, and the board came essentially last in all the benchmarks, and it STILL GOT 62%? What does a motherboard manufacturer have to do to get a sub 50% score? Take a dump in the review box?

It's hard to take these numbers seriously, if everything gets 60%+. 50% should be average, and it should be the standard. 80% should be a golden standard, and 90%+ for board of the year. What I'm going to do from now on is take 50 marks off of every score I read at bit-tech, and that's the result out of 50. So in reality, this board gets 12/50, or 24%. That score tells me it's a board to avoid. 62% gives out the wrong message, or it's to not discourage Sapphire from providing bit-tech with review samples.
b1candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 22:07   #10
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tozsam
Biostar had a great P45 board that could do this trick a few years ago.
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 22:46   #11
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sincerely, back in the AM2 and AM2+ days Sapphire had very neat motherboards, a white pcb and nice colours but in specs weren't something awesome, quite plain and in the middle. I've loved their looks but settling for a motherboard only for its looks is a dumb thing to do.

I was hoping something better, really, quite a let down but if Sapphire is changing their mentality to create worthy motherboards then go ahead, would love some white pcb love with great capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
assuming, of course, that you’ve paired it with a K-series LGA1156 CPU)
I think you mean LGA1155 their, after all it's a Z68 chipset not a LGA1156 chipset (P55 or H55)
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2011, 09:05   #12
GiantKiwi
Regular Ordinary Kiwi Web Guy

GiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the DremelGiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the DremelGiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the DremelGiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the DremelGiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the DremelGiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Fugly board.
Old 4th Aug 2011, 14:15   #13
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1candy
So you didn't test the Hydra software or the results for multiple GPU slots occupied, and the board came essentially last in all the benchmarks, and it STILL GOT 62%? What does a motherboard manufacturer have to do to get a sub 50% score? Take a dump in the review box?

It's hard to take these numbers seriously, if everything gets 60%+. 50% should be average, and it should be the standard. 80% should be a golden standard, and 90%+ for board of the year. What I'm going to do from now on is take 50 marks off of every score I read at bit-tech, and that's the result out of 50. So in reality, this board gets 12/50, or 24%. That score tells me it's a board to avoid. 62% gives out the wrong message, or it's to not discourage Sapphire from providing bit-tech with review samples.
Scores...
The thing is, we don't look at many average boards - ones with no heatsinks that don't overclock and don't have any fancy features. This board does have some nice additions and overclocked reasonably well (if not fantastically). It's therefore definitely a bit above the bog-standard 50 per cent mark.

We can certainly see your point - if you have a score scale, use the whole range of it - but we're not going to waste everyone's time testing and reviewing these non-overclocking basic boards just to prove the point.

Hope that helps!

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2011, 06:08   #14
KayinBlack
I Endure

KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.
A second thought on the Lucid Hydra...

Think of it instead as a really bloody good alternative to the NF200 chip. Then, it gives you three PCI-E x16s that ARE x16s on P67. Now it's a nice thing. Not a really great thing, but a nice thing.

(spoken from someone that got a Hydra board to run two cards and a RAID controller on P55.)

Quit chopping up the locals to make tools.-Cheapskate
KayinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2011, 13:50   #15
geebles
Own's a Dremel

geebles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfalho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
assuming, of course, that you’ve paired it with a K-series LGA1156 CPU)
I think you mean LGA1155 their, after all it's a Z68 chipset not a LGA1156 chipset (P55 or H55)
Uhh, no. Its a P67 Board (so sandy bridge) therefore LGA1156. Did you read the article? Or even the title!?
Old 7th Aug 2011, 14:19   #16
Fingers66
Kiwi in London

Fingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebles View Post
Uhh, no. Its a P67 Board (so sandy bridge) therefore LGA1156. Did you read the article? Or even the title!?
No, both P67 and Z68 are LGA1155.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1156
NAS 1:[Synology DS211j] NAS 2:[OMV]
Fingers66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2011, 01:19   #17
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebles View Post
Got mixed up of all the socket, not quite the intel fan but trying to keep the news. And yes, I read the article and the title, how on earth would I quote something I believed it was wrong from a whole pile of words?!

After a day's work and hour, I couldn't even remember a single thing, not even what I wrote in here, maybe entered in auto-pilot
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote