bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 10th Aug 2011, 00:01   #1
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Pfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run Crysis
CaseMod: Cellarette (FINISHED)

While searching for inspirations for a new CaseMod. I came across an 18th century piece of furniture that sparked my interest, a Cellarette.

What is a Cellarette??? It is a small, moveable wine cooler. In the 1700s there wasn't alot of electricity and keeping your wines cool was a chore, especially if you were travelling. Cellarettes were typically made of mahogany and came in a variety of sizes and shapes.

After scanning the internet and sketching a few designs. I decided to build two new cases. One in the American Federal Style (1780-1820) and one in the English Queen Anne (1702-1714).

In keeping with tradition. I made a quick trip to my local (not that local) lumber store and found some beautiful mahogany. I bought ~26' of 4/4 (case and skirt), ~6' of 8/4 (lid and Federal legs) and ~12' of 16/4 (Queen Anne Ball and Claw legs). I also bought 18" of 6/4 American Holly (stringing).

Here is a picture of the rough lumber in the shop.

Here is a picture of one of the future Queen Anne Ball and Claw Legs.

Measuring for the skirts.

Cut rough for length.

Eight sides. The grain for each is matched to run Left, Front, Right, Back.

Milling up the leg blanks. Each took 2 passes per side. The table saw will only cut 2.5" per pass. Milled the legs to 3" square.

Here is the rough cut lumber. 4 Federal Legs, 4 Queen Anne Ball and Claw Legs and 2 pair of skirts.

Last edited by Pfaffen; 22nd Jun 2012 at 22:19.
Pfaffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 17:43   #2
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Cool. I see some chisel carving action coming.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 19:41   #3
kelmannen
Supermodder

kelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
mmmm... and probably awsomeness!
kelmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 22:51   #4
Karrek
Multimodder

Karrek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice selection of wood. I'm excited to see this develop...
Keep modding!
Karrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2011, 02:00   #5
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Pfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Cool. I see some chisel carving action coming.
Cheapskate, great to hear from you. It has been a while since I've been here. Glad to see you are still modding. Yes, I already bought the chisels and have been working on some pine. I have a few pieces of mahogany to work on next. Should have some pics of the test pieces soon.
Old 11th Aug 2011, 02:12   #6
Pfaffen
Supermodder

One of the thing I struggled with were the dimension. It had to look like a piece of furniture, but also hold a complete rig, including at the request of the recipient a water cooling sub-system.

I built a quick mock-up of the general design from foam board. and then played with the proportions. Here is a picture of mock-up.

Old 11th Aug 2011, 02:16   #7
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Here is a concept shot of the interior. The owner did not want all the cables comming out of the back or side, so I designed them to come out the bottom (access slot). There will be a wood backplane to support the video cards and other items from the mobo.

Here is a shot of sawing the 6/4 stock to make up the interior back plane.

Old 12th Aug 2011, 01:18   #8
Pfaffen
Supermodder

I thought I would explain 4/4, 6/4 and 16/4. When purchasing lumber, it is referenced in quarters. So 4/4 would be four quarters or roughly more than 1 inch. 6/4 would be 1.5 inches and 16/4 would be 4 in thick. Since the 12' of 16/4 were posts they were 4 inches on a side.
Old 12th Aug 2011, 02:57   #9
modd1uk
I *am* a Dremel

modd1uk is definitely a rep cheat.modd1uk is definitely a rep cheat.modd1uk is definitely a rep cheat.modd1uk is definitely a rep cheat.modd1uk is definitely a rep cheat.modd1uk is definitely a rep cheat.modd1uk is definitely a rep cheat.modd1uk is definitely a rep cheat.modd1uk is definitely a rep cheat.modd1uk is definitely a rep cheat.modd1uk is definitely a rep cheat.
this looks like fun. Sub'd !
^+1
Energy saving light bulb agrees with the incandescent bulb.
modd1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2011, 21:04   #10
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Worked on the case today. Squared up the internal backplane for the case. I was the piece I cut with the hand saw.

Here is the layout before all the pieces are cut. You'll notice each one is labled with Fed or QA for the different cases.

Here they are laid out next to each other.

Old 21st Aug 2011, 17:51   #11
Pfaffen
Supermodder

For the Federal Style CaseMod, I had to taper the legs on all four side. So I built this jig this morning and tested it out.

With the shims in place it worked out great!

Here are the four legs with a rough taper. Will need to clean them up with the bench plane.

Old 10th Sep 2011, 21:55   #12
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Spent some time cleaning up the faces for the case. I traced out the hi spots and sanded/planed them down.

Here is a shot of the apron. You'll notice the grain runs from the left to the front to the right side. Also the back is cut from the right side.

Working on the tenons for the apron.

Here is a glue up of some thin Tiger Maple for the back of the apron.

Here is the apron and legs dry-fitted together.

Old 10th Sep 2011, 22:36   #13
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

craig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysis
Very nice design and good fitting so far.

Sorry but where is the Tiger Maple going, on the inside of the Mahgony?
Old 11th Sep 2011, 17:42   #14
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Its going in the back. I'll have some pics soon. I have alot more inlays to put in.
Old 11th Sep 2011, 17:55   #15
PabloFunky
Ultramodder

PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.
Double post for some reason, MOd, please delete this entry.
PabloFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2011, 17:58   #16
PabloFunky
Ultramodder

PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.
Interesting log, for me particulary, as i work in this industry.
I made 2000 or so QA legs last Friday as it goes.

Keeping an eye on this log, nice work so far, still trying to find time to finish mine off, hope this log gives me a nudge along.

http://www.hydewood.com/images/produ...g_c8_thumb.jpg
PabloFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2011, 23:09   #17
Pfaffen
Supermodder

PabloFunky,

Thanks... That is alot of legs to make! I'm only making 4 QA and 4 four-sided tapers.
Old 11th Sep 2011, 23:15   #18
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Made a jig for the drill press to clip the four corners of the inserts. Used a 1/5" forstner bit.

Here is the back of the apron of the case. It will take a bit of fine tuning for the Tiger Maple.

After alot of planing...

Here is the back of the apron.

Now on to the two sides. Did not have to book match the sides, I had some 4/4 tiger maple that I resawed into thinner pieces and did the sides together.

Here are pics for the back and sides, still all dry-fitted together.

You may also notice rabbets at the top of the apron, that is for 8 clips to hold down the upper case.
Old 11th Sep 2011, 23:20   #19
Pfaffen
Supermodder

craig - toyoracer,

Hope that answers your question... Keep them comming and keep modding!
Old 12th Sep 2011, 00:28   #20
miahallen
Team IRONMODS - World Champions!

miahallen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmiahallen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Beautiful wood timber, I'm jealous

Last edited by miahallen; 12th Sep 2011 at 04:08.
miahallen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casemod cellarette, dpbrach, pfaffen

View Mode