bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Aug 2011, 12:01   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Valve trialling Steam Trading

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...team-trading/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 12:08   #2
Digi
The not-so-funny Cockney

Digi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run Crysis
As others have commented, Blizzard have seen the future in real money for in-game trading. Valve as another forward thinking company has done the same.
It's another feature that you can use how you like or not use at all, I think it's great.

A member of a mystical group of master-gamers. Find them hiding at www.tunedgaming.co.uk

Last edited by Digi; 10th Aug 2011 at 12:31. Reason: can't do english language proper
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 12:17   #3
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
DAMN! I thought they were allowing you to trade in older games on your account! Bring that in, and I'll love you long time, Valve!
Old 10th Aug 2011, 12:22   #4
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4lanx View Post
DAMN! I thought they were allowing you to trade in older games on your account! Bring that in, and I'll love you long time, Valve!
Why would they let you do that?
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 12:35   #5
Kiytan
Shiny

Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight
Quote:
Why would they let you do that?
because it means you're more likely to buy games (you might take a risk on more expensive games if you know you can trade then in after).

And in general means you're playing stuff on steam for longer.

I'm don't particularly like the idea of trading just TF2 stuff for games, however if they do expand it to other games, then that would be pretty awesome.
Kiytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 12:46   #6
Gigglebyte
:3

Gigglebyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
From gold farming to hat farming :3
Gigglebyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 12:49   #7
minimad127
CPC Refugee

minimad127 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelminimad127 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i still expect this to evolve further in to game trading, and have said so a few times, i believe that within the next 2-3 years (max) you will have some sort of steam marketplace, where people can 'sell' their old games, once they no longer want them.

there will of course be some rules

Steam and the game dev will get either a set amount or a % of the sale.
the sale money will not actually be real money but money added to your Steam account so that it will have to be spent on more games in Steam
New releases will be exempt from the market place for a set period of time (expect 6 months) to allow the devs to get full impact of the higher price of a new release

this of course is only my person expectation/thoughts
minimad127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 12:49   #8
Flanananagan
Modder

Flanananagan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Finally, a use for those 9 crates I've amassed.

SOMEONE GIEF ME LIMBO
Flanananagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 13:04   #9
Stickeh
Help me , Help you.

Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As its player to player trading, why stop at in game items for games? Why not do games for games trading?
Old 10th Aug 2011, 13:08   #10
chiper136
Multimodder

chiper136 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelchiper136 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelchiper136 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelchiper136 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelchiper136 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelchiper136 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have this odd memory that valve used to mean something different...something about making games...involved a guy with a crowbar...Maybe its just me, but I'm sure they used to do something other than hats.
chiper136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 13:09   #11
Phalanx

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiper136 View Post
I have this odd memory that valve used to mean something different...something about making games...involved a guy with a crowbar...Maybe its just me, but I'm sure they used to do something other than hats.
I doubt very much that Valve only have one entire team working on one thing at once...
Old 10th Aug 2011, 13:11   #12
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4lanx
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiper136 View Post
I doubt very much that Valve only have one entire team working on one thing at once...
Yeah... They're doing multiple hats...
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 13:22   #13
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiytan View Post
because it means you're more likely to buy games (you might take a risk on more expensive games if you know you can trade then in after).

And in general means you're playing stuff on steam for longer.

I'm don't particularly like the idea of trading just TF2 stuff for games, however if they do expand it to other games, then that would be pretty awesome.
But there is no benefit to them by trading in downloaded games, yes you can trade in your old car but it leaves the dealer with something to sell on. Valve aren't going to let you trade in old games for new as it just looses them revenue.

But between users is fine, still don't think they will let it happen though as it is a lost sale to them each time a game is traded.
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 13:23   #14
smc8788
potato

smc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickeh View Post
As its player to player trading, why stop at in game items for games? Why not do games for games trading?
You can, it's just not mentioned in the article.

From RPS:

Quote:
You’re able to trade gift-designated games for other gift-designated games, by the way, so it could be a way to stock up your games library without spending too much.
Other stuff I own: [BenQ XL2411T/Dell 2407WFP] - [Razer Blackwidow Tournament Stealth] - [Zowie FK] - [Sennheiser HD800] - [Audez'e LCD2 rev. 2] - [Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies] - [Philips 46PFL9705H] - [Onkyo TX-NR515] - [B&W 685]

[Steam] - [Battlelog]
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 13:25   #15
minimad127
CPC Refugee

minimad127 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelminimad127 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight View Post
But there is no benefit to them by trading in downloaded games, yes you can trade in your old car but it leaves the dealer with something to sell on. Valve aren't going to let you trade in old games for new as it just looses them revenue.

But between users is fine, still don't think they will let it happen though as it is a lost sale to them each time a game is traded.
likely/possible answer in my post above
minimad127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 13:27   #16
Phalanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788 View Post
You can, it's just not mentioned in the article.

From RPS:
That's only if the game isn't already attached to an account. My original thought was for games already connected. A simple trading system where you could offer up, say 3 indie titles and someone comes back with, say, a copy of Dawn of War II, of which all four games are already attached to accounts, would be brilliant.

Valve lose nothing as there is no money being exchanged and the games are all already paid for, and essentially it is simply allowing people to move games between accounts. It can only make Valve more popular.
Old 10th Aug 2011, 13:30   #17
Nikumba
Supermodder

Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Though they could let you trade games for an admin fee of £5 or so, 50% to Valve 50% to the orginal dev is still around if not chuck it at some charity

Kimbie
Nikumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 13:48   #18
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Meh, this doesn't interest me, I really don't like TF2 so I'll sit and watch how this pans out.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 13:49   #19
chemo
True Jungle Brother

chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
so people can trade games from their lists for hats in tf2?
am i getting it right?
chemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 14:16   #20
smc8788
potato

smc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
That's only if the game isn't already attached to an account. My original thought was for games already connected. A simple trading system where you could offer up, say 3 indie titles and someone comes back with, say, a copy of Dawn of War II, of which all four games are already attached to accounts, would be brilliant.

Valve lose nothing as there is no money being exchanged and the games are all already paid for, and essentially it is simply allowing people to move games between accounts. It can only make Valve more popular.
I agree it would make them more popular than they already are and I would love to see them trial it for older games, however the idea has a lot of scope to be exploited and I'd argue Valve would lose out on the sale of games that are being traded instead of bought from their store. Think about it, if you have a circle of friends you regularly trade with, you would be able to buy just one copy of a game and trade it with each person one by one instead of buying several copies of the same game. This would be particularly damaging to indie titles which can often be completed in a couple of hours and generally offer less replayability than big-budget multiplayer titles like BF3. Also, I think the main issue isn't Valve actually implementing such a system - it's getting the go-ahead from publishers to do it. They're certainly not going to be happy to see their games being traded among friends instead of being bought for each account - they're already looking at ways to profit from second hand sales and the more heavy-handed DRM systems already try to prevent it by tying games to a single online account separate from Steam.

It might be nice to have as an option for indie developers when their game goes on Steam, but I really can't see it happening and it would only hurt them in the long run.
Other stuff I own: [BenQ XL2411T/Dell 2407WFP] - [Razer Blackwidow Tournament Stealth] - [Zowie FK] - [Sennheiser HD800] - [Audez'e LCD2 rev. 2] - [Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies] - [Philips 46PFL9705H] - [Onkyo TX-NR515] - [B&W 685]

[Steam] - [Battlelog]

Last edited by smc8788; 10th Aug 2011 at 14:23.
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote