bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Aug 2011, 12:52   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Fatshark: Not many people finish singleplayer games

Not many people finish singleplayer games, says the developer of War of Roses.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-singleplaye/1

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2011, 13:01   #2
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Yep. That sums me up in a nutshell.
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2011, 13:01   #3
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
I usually do.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2011, 13:14   #4
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sounds like an excuse to have a crap SP game.
Most people I know complete all single player element's of a game especially if it's a largely SP game.
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2011, 13:17   #5
will_123
Small childs brain in a big body

will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Disagree if I spend money on a game. Sometimes however bad it is i feel slightly compelled to finish it. And if its good I always do!

Web Hosting - http://www.goforthhosting.com
will_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2011, 13:21   #6
Kiytan
Shiny

Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I mostly finish the single player campaigns (I mean, maybe not 100% then, but at least complete the story).

tbh, i think they've just been asking the wrong people :P
Kiytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2011, 13:36   #7
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Last single player game I didn't finish was Overlord, because it was soooooooo boring. After 6 hours I just gave up. Lucky the series only cost me 2 during a sale.
I mostly persevere even through mediocre games but every now and then I just cut my looses and move on. Spiderman shattered dimensions was another one this year I gave up on. Terrible terrible game.

I think that's the only two this year.

Just finished Limbo there now. Great wee game but according to steam it only took me 3hrs. Kinda wish I'd waited for a sale
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2011, 13:58   #8
Kenny_McCormick
Supermodder

Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I like the idea of unlockable items thanks to the single/coop mode.
Old 19th Aug 2011, 13:59   #9
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
My friends and I enjoy multiplayer gaming more than single player gaming and because so many games are released sometimes there just isn't time to finish a SP campaign especially if you work full time and want to play the games your mates are playing.

Of the games on my desk in front of me (and on Steam), I haven't finished the SP campaigns of:

Mass Effect 2 (because it's a horrid console port and it raged me too much)
FEAR 2 (see above)
DragonAge (because another game came out)
Sacred 2 (because it's ****)
CoD4 (wanted to play MP)
GRAW2 (wanted to play MP)
Oblivion (other games came out)
DoW2:CR (hit the level cap on the 5th mission - pointless carrying on)
Company of Heroes (wanted to play MP)
Fallout New Vegas (other games came out)
MoH (would rather play BF2)
OF: Dragon Rising (not that great)
OF: Red River (worse that OFR)
Resident Evil 5 (got stuck on a bit near the end, couldn't complete)
Torchlight (still playing)
Call of Cthulhu (got bored)
Earth 2160 (****)
GTA Vice City (no idea lol)
Grotesque Tactics (didn't like it)
Killing Floor (didn't like it)
King Arthur (didn't like it)
Jade Empire (horrid console port)
Mount & Blade + Warband (got bored)
Order of War (crap)
Spellforce 1+2 (crap)
Tales of Monkey Island (1-5) (console ported crap)
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 (ubisoft crap)
Trine (got bored)
The Void (got bored)
Deus ex (got bored)
Deus ex IW (got bored)

...and that's just the ones I can see in my steam list or in front of me!

Of course there's plenty I *have* finished the SP campaigns of - but mostly my friends and I play multiplayer BF2, CoH, Civilization V....

...as far as Fatshark's research goes, they've summed up my friends and I entirely.

What we DO want is decent co-op campaigns.....that can make all the difference. Co-op oblivion/fallout? We'd still be playing them now....
Old 19th Aug 2011, 14:02   #10
The Hooded Claw
What's a Dremel?

The Hooded Claw has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I guess I'm not that social a player, I prefer single player games as I've encountered annoying "l33t" players before which has ruined the multiplayer experience for me.

As a result I don't bother buying games with a multiplayer bias - reviews often state the sp side is weak. The battlefield series springs to mind.

So there you go developers, thats at least 1 missed sale through neglecting people like me, how many can you afford?
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2011, 14:05   #11
GravitySmacked
Mostly Harmless

GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Going back to my youth I rarely finished them but these days I do (unless it's crap).

GravitySmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2011, 14:09   #12
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

To be fair, THC, there are genres of games that really don't suit single-player action....you can hardly punish the developer for having a vision for a game, and that working towards that vision. Large-scale/epic battles with just a solo player and an army of NPCs and some bad A.I. just don't work as well as a huge battlefield full of real players.

It's a little unfair to write-off all multiplayer experiences, too, considering a game like Civilization attracts an entirely different audience to CODBLOPS etc.

They may have missed your sale, but they've likely gained mine....and as a multplayer gamer, I'll be encouraging my friends to purchase too. Maybe they lost yours and gained myself and 3 friends? They can probably afford to do that quite easily....
Old 19th Aug 2011, 14:26   #13
sakzzz
Multimodder

sakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quite true... SP games which go as a story are much more interesting to finish. eg: portal, hl2 etc... On the other hand a game like Diablo2..i remember ...at one point became so difficult, just couldnt defeat the boss..thats when i looked upon a few cheats and the excitement ended...
Old 19th Aug 2011, 14:58   #14
kornedbeefy
Multimodder

kornedbeefy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If its FUN I finish them.
kornedbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2011, 15:18   #15
johnnyboy700
Ultramodder

johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.
Is it perhaps due to the apparently limited attention span that some people have today? Probably as a result of being weaned on MTV and endless reapeats on TV.
I usually play a game until I finish it, if a new one comes along I might give it a brief try to make sure it loads okay then go back an finish the one I'm on. The only game I've played in recent years that I couldn't finish was Portal Prelude and that was because I couldn't finish the last puzzle. I had a pretty good idea what to do but just couldn't manage it.
johnnyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2011, 15:37   #16
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Do they mean 100% finished including all the crappy achievements these days, or just finish the storyline? Because I know for damn sure I haven't 100%'d an SP game in a long time.
Old 19th Aug 2011, 15:52   #17
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy700
Is it perhaps due to the apparently limited attention span that some people have today? Probably as a result of being weaned on MTV and endless reapeats on TV.
No, I don't think so.

I'm 32 - my attention span is just fine, in fact, I've been sat in front of Civ V since 5am this morning breaking only to goto the bathroom, make brews, comment on here etc.

Much of the time it has a lot to do with wanting to play games online/LAN with friends - and SP doesn't offer that.
Old 19th Aug 2011, 15:53   #18
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
I have a lot of games going back years that I still haven't completed (quite a few I haven't even started).
I give up on games when it gets to a point where i'm dying/reloading more than i'm progressing and I lose the will to carry on. But decent story lead games I tend to complete.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: SoC is the game I have installed at the moment i'm really stuggling to get on with. I just can't get into it.
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2011, 16:04   #19
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Put me on the list of people who usually don't finish the singleplayer-campaigns, especially when we're talking about FPS-games or RTS-games.

The only game where I've finished the singleplayer mode in the last 10 years is Borderlands, while the rest of them I only play the multiplayer-stuff and use the singleplayer only for getting to know the game and some training.

Playing games alone is probably the most boring thing I can think of. When I'm bored I don't grab a game where there's a singleplayer campaign but usually something more casual, like racing a few laps in GT5, playing some SoulCalibur or fraggin some stuff in UT3-quickmatch.

First and foremost I play MMORPGs as playing with others simply is way more fun then playing alone and there's allways someone to play with in MMORPGs, even when my buddies aren't online.

Stop using social networks and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2011, 16:47   #20
Toploaded
Supermodder

Toploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah... I always want to, but often get distracted and forget to go back to them or start a new game before I've finished the last even if I LOVED the game . In fact this post has inspired me to go back and finish up some games that asap because its just silly really. I took a planned break from the Witcher 2 but many games I just forgot I was playing (BFBC2 is a good example, I was having a blast too)

MP, modding (games) and the Steam sales are all factors here I guess. Need to have a rule to always finish (good) SP games and never have more then 2 on the go at once, I guess.
Toploaded is offline   Reply With Quote