1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia: 50 Tegra games by 2012

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Aug 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

thier biggest mobile chip customer is gonna be Sony and the new Vita handheld, how the hell are they gonna compete ?, these games will be for underpowered tablets, and they aint gaming consoles, give me an amd a6/8 laptop with dual graphics anyday, noobs.

3. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Vita is a different product segment, its portable gaming. Tegra is a tablet SOC with gaming, completely different.
    Then you list a laptop with dual graphics? Thats not a tablet either.

4. misterd77

tegra tablets and the vita use the same chips, so how can nvidia compete, isnt a tablet a portable game device ?, of course it is, like i said, gimme an amd apu anyday, a laptop is portable gaming as well, just a larger device, **** sony and nvidia, they just wanna suck you in and spit you out minus your wallet.

5. misterd77

both the vita and the tegra zone use andriod, and both use the same tegra chips so, tegra games will directly compete with sony and thier andriod Playstation store, so its not completely different, much the same, noob, id rather spend the £400 the vita or a decent tablet costs to purchase an amd apu dual graphics laptop.

6. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Late night posting makes for an angry and double-posting weirdo.

I think the Tegra is impressive and it would be nice to see it take off a bit more. Games with the graphical beauty of something like Trine on tablets would be very nice.

7. eddman

eddman What's a Dremel?

@mingemuncher

That's just a very old rumor which isn't true. Vita uses a custom-built quad-core ARM cortex-A9 cpu and a powevr SGX543MP4 gpu. It's far more powerful than tegra 2, although Kal-El (tegra 3) will probably match its power.

8. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

So much for the android app, my post didn't show up.

Vita uses neither Android or Tegra, it uses a Quadcore PowerVR chip and sonys own proprietary software. http://www.geek.com/articles/games/ps-vita-specs-list-arrives-makes-hardware-fanboys-happy-20110819/

It really surprised me when Sony Ericsson didn't team up with Nvidia with the Xplay. Between them they could have shared the load and courted more developers. Nvidia would have a partner showing how powerful Tegra was and SE would have a partner helping developers make exclusive, or at least better games for their hardware. I guess it just makes too much sense.

Either Sony just doesn't want to potentially hurt sales of the vita or, very likely, SE are completely incompetent. Here's holding onto the vague hope Kal-El will find its way into the Xplay 2 early next year. Won't hold my breath for that one.

9. xinaes

xinaes What's a Dremel?

It seems that the PowerVR chip in the iPad 2 is considerably more powerful than Tegra 2, from what I've seen. As a developer, that looks like a more rewarding space to invest effort at the moment... annoying how much it means being tied to Apple hardware though.

10. misterd77

Sony is still gonna be on andriod right (Sony Playstation App)?, if they are, they are still gonna be up against nvidia, and as the tegra product line rolls out, (which is based on arm cpu's anyway ?), those andriod devices will become much more powerfull than the vita, yet carry a "playstation" certification for the device, seems mental that sony has decided to have both routes, andriod os devices and a custom UI and hardware, does anyone know what the base specs for the andriod sony playstation app are ?

11. misterd77

im still not impressed by the vita, or any tablet, even the ipad, gimme a decent laptop with an apu from amd anyday.

12. misterd77

iv seen the benchmarks for the A8 3500M, that hp laptop had dual gpu's with crossfire, 8bg ram at 1800mhz, it blitzed the frame rates, wrap that up in a portable 12 inch screen, and you got a portable gaming monster for the same price as the vita....sure its not handheld, but who wants to play half arsed games on a tiny screen, i dont.

13. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Nvidia should probably spend less time investing in hardware for shity mobile games nobody gives two ****s about[gamers anyway] and concern themselves more with the micronisation of graphics cards. I dont want to travel back in time to the 50's where PC's would be the size of a living and only the richest kings in Europe will own them :(

14. Bede

Bede Minimodder

So many people with feelings of entitlement and rage.. Nvidia should go wherever the money is (and wherever the future lies). That is their legal duty to their shareholders. Currently that involves consumer discrete graphics cards as well as Tegra chips. People actually do give "two ****s" about mobile games - how do you think the App Store became such a phenomenon - and do you remember old school Snake?

Stop raging about this, it's not important. As long as we all continue to buy their graphics cards they will continue making them. Simple.

15. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

you do know the laptop is a dying market right? Natural progression of tech always pointed to tablets being the next step of portable computing. They aren't strong techwise now, but given Tegra 3 and other quadcore arm processors and such we definitely will see tablets beat the beat laptops in performance in the coming years.

16. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Yeah it's only the biggest growing segment in the whole market and the biggest shift in gaming since games arrived in the home.

But you may have a point. They are a bit late to the party and apple's running the guest list. Anyone who chases after apple is chasing a moving target - they'll always miss. (Look at HP with their antiquated tablet design that runs WebOS at half the speed WebOS runs in the iPad 2 browser - LOL)

17. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Justin Biebers pretty popular too as far as im aware, doesnt mean to say people should really invest him though eh.

Maybe in a couple of decades ill be able to play Shogun Total War 2 in a fully immersive VR setting all from a mobile device. Until then, mobile gaming platforms can pretty much ****ing ram it for being the broken promise that they are. And i kinda resent companys pushing technologies as though its the be all and end all of entertainment when the only market they have is kids and impressionable morons.

18. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

That's a pretty narrow view to take, why is the idea of mobile gaming such a bad thing to you? In my experience they have a ratio of good to bad games that's pretty equal to consoles or PC. They may not all be as complex as shogun 2 (which is actually pretty simple compared to others in the series) but at the same time neither are is everything on home gaming platforms. They also generally look worse but is that such a bad thing? Do we need all games to look like the witcher 2 for it to be good these days? Other than that what is the problem? If a game is good then it's good regardless of what platform it's on.

Tags: Add Tags