bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 25th Aug 2011, 04:13   #1
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

craig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysis
octTower - Completed - Final photos round II

Hello Bit-Tech, my name is Craig, -toyoracer on some other sites. I am from Canada, and have come here to share in the modding spirit and fun you all have created.

So how did I get here. It all started back in '91 when my kids were given a 8088 to play with, so smart dad took charge (oh no) ended up changing some system files (logical naming is not in the computer world) Computer no longer worked, friend from work took hours to solve and then said to me Never,Never touch a computer again, back to the couch I went.

Fast-forward '06 new wife and 16 year old son, who is into Computers. Well he gives me his old one and tells me the basics (I forget) tells me again, next day I forget, what, "old dog learns slow" I don't have time to teach an old slow dog, use "google" and read and learn. Tough lovin, smart kid.

2010 I am ready to build my first PC.

Goal: Design and build a nice looking case, that pushes my skills upward.

Design : Unique theme that is more than just a rectangle box. Clean lines with no fasteners showing. Black (goes with any livingroom the wife might come up with) chrome (can't do that) polished aluminum, I can.

I began construction June 2010. Using steel 20AWG for base panel and 22AWG for the rest. Bending is done with bench-top 700mm brake. All joining will be done by soldering frame panels.

Lets start with holes made first and then bent up forming front panels

top panel

channel formed

and soldered, with motherboard mounting inserts

formed base plate with rolled edge

intake holes and formed fan mount

lower front intake blank, then bent up

test fitting

Last edited by craig - toyoracer; 28th Dec 2011 at 18:14. Reason: update titles
craig - toyoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2011, 09:37   #2
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
Nice start Craig. The photos also show a nice work space. I'll be following.
Old 25th Aug 2011, 16:17   #3
sparkyboy22
Web Tinkerer

sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Only a years worth of photo's to catch up on!

Looking good so far.

Online RC Shop Search Engine
sparkyboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2011, 04:43   #4
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

craig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila View Post
Nice start Craig. The photos also show a nice work space. I'll be following.
Attila thank you fitting for you to have first post since your suggestion led me here.
The shop is at dad's, we built it for us to play in, woodworking upstairs, metal, auto downstairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyboy22 View Post
Only a years worth of photo's to catch up on!

Looking good so far.
thanks sparkyboy, yes what was I thinking. Pick out the best looking, re-size, touch-up the early ones (started with cheap point and shoot) Wish I found BT a lot sooner

on with the catch up show

Making of the back plate

fan test fit

Making rolled edge for motherboard tray

5.25 bay enclosure

I/O housing

and all soldered up, not just a rectangle box

HDD mounting plate

tools of the build, and first side panel with rolled edges. I later changed to "u" edges should have left them, but thought to narrow, would have worked out.

cleaned up with a few extras attached

Hope you all like the show. more tomorrow
Old 27th Aug 2011, 03:01   #5
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

Continuing the update

this is my favorite part made, design wise it improves on the original and the fitting is awesome. I/O module is screwed on from the inside.

here both side panels,, octagon window cut-out and 5.25 bay stealth door latch parts

the inner door panel with piano hinge

how the latch is made

the last time inner workings will be seen

door paint job

optical drive sled

all together now

un-latched

top exhaust is contained in a mesh housing. For those that noticed, I started with 2 fan holes and then opened up to rectangle opening. This is to accommodate the summer/winter fan plates (2 more updates) the mesh was bent up and edges filled with epoxy and mounted on aluminum plate, like so

you know what this is

motherboard tray is polished and fitted

close-up, SSD rack hangs on right side, holds 2

some side panel reflections

Old 27th Aug 2011, 04:34   #6
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Wow! That moved fast. I like.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2011, 18:15   #7
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

-shiny update -Aug27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Wow! That moved fast. I like.

Thank you very much. Fast, started June 2010

Now for the shiny stuff

Aluminum angle cut and polished

the brazing starts

all cleaned up

here Little Bull checks out the parts to attach the drives

and checks to make sure the wild drives are safely caged

after a few attempts, I have power cable just right, some work to do on those data cables

For the front air intake, and what started this whole design, Was a special fan grill by Bill from MNPCtech, for HardwareCanucks build he did.
I am Canadian and like hardware, so I needed one.

polished up and how it would be mounted

but it was not quite right, needed some modding, now it looks right for my case

You may be asking where did the name octTower come from. Let me show you

The build-log is here. A great big thank you to mvagusta for helping me make a vision into reality

The case feet are just wrong so new shoes made.

The fast catch up is almost done. I know some of the photos are not the best, so thanks for wading through them
Old 27th Aug 2011, 18:40   #8
AnG3L
Ultimate Modder

AnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run Crysis
Simply..... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! The design rocks, the execution is flawless, everything screams SUCCESS in this mod/worklog!! My friend I am in love with your mod!!! More pics pl0x!!!
AnG3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2011, 02:39   #9
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
I agree. The i/o door is really nice, but so is the drive cage. Very nice work.
Old 28th Aug 2011, 02:42   #10
23RO_UK
Hasta Maņana

23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.
Stunning Craig

Superb metal working skills

I like it, I like it a lot!!!

+ rep
23RO_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2011, 06:43   #11
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnG3L View Post
Simply..... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! The design rocks, the execution is flawless, everything screams SUCCESS in this mod/worklog!! My friend I am in love with your mod!!! More pics pl0x!!!
Alex thank you very much, I am speechless. more pics for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila View Post
I agree. The i/o door is really nice, but so is the drive cage. Very nice work.
Thank you Attila, yes the cage took some thinking and I like the out come a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23RO_UK View Post
Stunning Craig

Superb metal working skills

I like it, I like it a lot!!!

+ rep
Thanks man, glad you like it. Taking my time on each step.

A few pictures of the power on lights

I had a hard time getting a good photo of HDD activity light, so much reflection

This is close to real life brightness, pro photographer I am not

the shoes look just right I think, not to big and are rubber mounted

After a couple of trial runs, this is what the Sata power cable became

My first sleeving attempt

now it looks good but, problem with the bend radius meant I needed to do something different to get the right look. The bends needed to be 90˚ off the motherboard and the PSU. So I made molded plugs to fit.
First a mold to hold the sleeve in place

un-molding

mistake made in length for radius, cut adjust length and mod the mold use what you have to make it work

next mold for the 90˚ bend, now using fast setting epoxy is good, it is not always smooth going

but you can file, sand add more epoxy, file, sand

repeat 2 more times since PSU is a double plug.

One custom 24 pin cable, time and effort I think worth it, to get what you need or want
Old 28th Aug 2011, 15:08   #12
y0gi
Minimodder

y0gi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome work going on here Craig. Absolutely love that 24 pin. My first post just for you.
y0gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2011, 16:23   #13
Angel OD
Pump Killer

Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Very nice build!!

And that octo tower thingy is just a work of WIN!

Really amazing sir! +rep!
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=207889 - Motm nominee
The Theory of Everything http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=219504 - Motm WINNER!
Angel OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2011, 20:48   #14
Zorndar
Multimodder

Zorndar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome workmanship and a nice clean look. Did I mention that it was frigging fast?
Old 28th Aug 2011, 21:33   #15
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0gi View Post
Awesome work going on here Craig. Absolutely love that 24 pin. My first post just for you.
Welcome to BT y0gi, hope you have some fun and join in with your modding too.
Thanks, I am having fun trying out new things on my first build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel OD View Post
Very nice build!!

And that octo tower thingy is just a work of WIN!

Really amazing sir! +rep!
Thank you very much. octo thingy I like it
what is +rep ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorndar View Post
Awesome workmanship and a nice clean look. Did I mention that it was frigging fast?
Thanks - little take on Mr.Spock - if hours were weeks from the first post till now would be close

So I need some spacer nuts and no sense looking for some, so using 1/2" rod cut to 35mm drill and tap both ends

then file down ends like so

into my ghetto lathe and turn them down - .275"
(sorry this will drive you crazy Imp.&Metric)

handy parting tool

some more filing, Repeat 8 times, and you have

Mushroom Nuts

Now being the middle of summer needed some ice-cubes

no they are the spacers, and where does all this go

not there, here

some reflections

Now for some hardware mods, the copper had to go

and a nice clean smooth top

XFX 5770HD needed some refinements

blue is my accent color

someone may spot the changes made

so just 2 items left to show, that brings us up to-date

more than happy to answer all questions
Old 28th Aug 2011, 22:44   #16
23RO_UK
Hasta Maņana

23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.
Damn ain't you full of surprises Craig!!!

Looking sweet bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig - toyoracer View Post
what is +rep ?
The green boxes next to your Avatar indicate your reputation

When someone awards you reputation they normally abbreviate it as +rep = Reputation
23RO_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Aug 2011, 04:50   #17
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23RO_UK View Post
Damn ain't you full of surprises Craig!!!

Looking sweet bud

The green boxes next to your Avatar indicate your reputation

When someone awards you reputation they normally abbreviate it as +rep = Reputation

Surprises me thank you

Well here are the last 2 items of this catch game

I have no idea if this will improve cooling but the idea makes sense.

Out of the oven onto the mold

when cooled

all together, Little Bull likes it, no wire to look through

test fitting, looks okay

this week mounted the top exhaust fans

these are the summer ones

here under the mesh

there is still a few things to do, hopefully it cools down a little, the lazy days of summer
Old 29th Aug 2011, 05:50   #18
talladega
I'm Squidward

talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
i like this
Old 29th Aug 2011, 20:13   #19
benjjamin
needs MORE POWER!

benjjamin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice work you have there
benjjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Aug 2011, 20:53   #20
kelmannen
Supermodder

kelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
..... wow! incredible workmanship!
kelmannen is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode